SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-15, 04:48 AM   #1
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Radar button grayed out for no reason.

I'm using this warship mod and for some reason cannot seem to get the radar activated and I just do not know why. The button is grayed out. I know the equipment is installed.

I would ask this in the original thread, but it hasen't been posted in in so long I thought I'd make a new one.
RoflCopter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 09:51 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=15
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 01:51 PM   #3
RoflCopter4
Seaman

I did read every single post in the thread to be sure I didn't miss anything and did see this post. The thing is that I'm using 1.03.
Old 09-27-15, 03:00 PM   #4
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Well, I've finally figured it out. I'm sure a competent modder could have fixed this in relatively short order, but working from scratch I've had to reverse engineer a decent portion of the code relating to equipment and upgrades to discover the problem. It seems that for whatever reason it just was not mounting the new kind of radar introduced in this mod. I learned this by editing the category of the new radar to be the same as the Type IX radar category of the stock, which when likewise editing the files for the Admiral Scheer, and editing the upgrades files, allowed me to mount those stock radars, which worked.

The strange thing is, even after editing the files to make all radars, including the new ones, available as upgrades in 1939, to go out of my way allow them to be used and mounted properly, it still failed to properly mount them! Despite upgrading the set the game still attached the lowest stock German radar for no reason I can fathom. After much fiddling I simply resorted to editing the save file of a game the moment I first go to sea to use the new radar set, which promptly worked perfectly, with the exception of not showing the new set on the equipment page (I know it's working nonetheless because the range of the new radar is 30km, while the range of the ostensibly installed radar is ~8km, and I am consistently picking things up at the former distance).

I give up on trying to figure out why this is happening. There is just so much redundency in the code that there's no wonder this game is such a buggy mess. Why do I have to edit the upcge file in the Submarine folder and the upgradepacks file separately with the exact same information to get an item available at a certain date? Shouldn't simply putting that date in the upgradepacks file do that? But no, you need it in both. What a mess.
Old 09-28-15, 11:46 AM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Slightly rsletated and interesting; CapnScurvy's comments regarding Ducimus' descriptive posts on Tower Upgrades, and the error in coding the dates CapnScurvy pointed out in the Conning Tower's Upgrades Topic. Dates in all files need to be the same, and also be actual dates... not Feb 30th for example.

CapnScurvy's remarks #11:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=222005

Ducimus' Topic:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134913

I don't know how files interact on U-Boats for your specific problem.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 12:53 PM   #6
RoflCopter4
Seaman

I suppose I may as well note two problems I've been having with this. The first is that, despite all my efforts, it does not seem to be possible to activate the new radar in the normal way. I have had to edit the save file to change the radar to be the correct one, and thereafter it works splendidly. I have hurt my brain trying to understand why I can equip it in base but that does not seem to actually equip it. It makes no sense.

Furthermore, and this is probably hopeless, but it seems impossible to start a second patrol in a campaign with any of these related surface ships. Every single time I've tried to load a save made after ending the first patrol has resulted in instant crash, and I've tried a dozen times now. Hopeless. Baffling.

Back to submarines, I suppose. Bit of a letdown after having 6 11" guns.