SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-17, 05:40 PM   #1
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 0
Exclamation what is going on here?!?!?!

So I'm a little bit frustrated. I'm approaching a target and prepared a zero gyro angle solution, and as you can see on the attack map, everything is perfect, except the my fish they do not follow a straight path. They turn 20° left gyro and I don't know why. What I have a noticed is that after starting a new patrol, this is no problem. Everything works as it is supposed to be, but let's say I'm in pursuit and I spot a convoy by radar/sonar to then position my sub for a 90° AOB zero gyro shot. Then, if I need to save either, because I messed up, pee call, girlfriend skype call, or whatever reason, I load my last save, re position and prepare my firing solution, the fishes will not go straight! :

Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening??

PS. Yes, the spread shot disc is at 0°

Last edited by LCQ_SH; 05-13-17 at 07:13 PM.
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-17, 05:48 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There's not anywhere near enough information in your screenshot for me to be able to help you. I need to see enemy course, speed and range and I don't see that. I need to see all your TDC settings and you can't see that either. Need to see what order and what values you entered into the TDC and can't see that.

How are you setting up a zero gyro shot? None of the information needed to correct your error is showing in your post or screenshot.

Hint though. Check the torpedo gyro angle and look at the sonar man's 06:26 report. I believe it links directly to a former post I made to you about the exact same problem. Keep in mind that when loading a save, TDC input is not saved with the game. You must input all TDC parameters again after you restore the save.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-17, 06:19 PM   #3
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
. I need to see enemy course, speed and range and I don't see that. I need to see all your TDC settings and you can't see that either. Need to see what order and what values you entered into the TDC and can't see that.

How are you setting up a zero gyro shot?

Hint though. Check the torpedo gyro angle and look at the sonar man's 06:26 report. I believe it links directly to a former post I made to you about the exact same problem. Keep in mind that when loading a save, TDC input is not saved with the game. You must input all TDC parameters again after you restore the save.

Enemy course, doesn't matter. Believe me when I'm saying that I position myself at 90° port from the enemy course. In such conditions, range becomes irrelevant during zero gyro shot.

About the data on the TDC, first I entered speed, which on that particular example was 10 knots, then the AOB (90 port) which is the AOB the ship will have while corssing my scope at 0° bearing. and at the very end, and arbitrary range as it is not important for the torpedo solution. After that process, if you check the TDC dials, the torpedo gyro will not be zero, it will be 34#ish, that means I have to adjust my scope bearing to the right (and send a new bearing to the TDC) until I get a zero gyro angle. Let's say that happens at bearing 012. For my torpedoes to hit the ship, at 90°, I have to fire the torps when the ship crosses my crosshair at bearing 012. Of course, all of this is done with PK off. Never locked a target as it is not needed either.

In other words, basically the torps should follow the black line on the attack map, which is not happening and they are deviating. If I do the same process after leaving port, the torps will follow my zero angle shot, but so far it has happened to me three times that they don't do that. It looks like the TDC is just keeping the first gyro setting at bearing 000 (which would be 34#is), and it is not adjusting after sending again the "range" and new bearing at 012, although it is marked on the TDC dials
Old 05-13-17, 06:46 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
Enemy course, doesn't matter. Believe me when I'm saying that I position myself at 90° port from the enemy course. In such conditions, range becomes irrelevant during zero gyro shot.
Okay up to this point.

Quote:
About the data on the TDC, first I entered speed, which on that particular example was 10 knots, then the AOB (90 port) which is the AOB the ship will have while corssing my scope at 0° bearing.

ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! Danger Will Robinson!

Quote:
and at the very end, and arbitrary range as it is not important for the torpedo solution. After that process, if you check the TDC dials, the torpedo gyro will not be zero, it will be 34#ish, that means I have to adjust my scope bearing to the right (and send a new bearing to the TDC) until I get a zero gyro angle. Let's say that happens at bearing 012. For my torpedoes to hit the ship, at 90°, I have to fire the torps when the ship crosses my crosshair at bearing 012.
See, your AoB is wrong. Your AoB for the TDC is AoB at the shoot point, NOT AoB at the impact point. In this case your AoB is 90-12=78º Port. Your AoB is 12º off and your torpedoes are going wrong just as you told them to.

Quote:
Of course, all of this is done with PK off. Never locked a target as it is not needed either.

In other words, basically the torps should follow the black line on the attack map, which is not happening and they are deviating.
Not if you tell them not to do that!

Quote:
If I do the same process after leaving port, the torps will follow my zero angle shot, but so far it has happened to me three times that they don't do that. It looks like the TDC is just keeping the first gyro setting at bearing 000 (which would be 34#is), and it is not adjusting after sending again the "range" and new bearing at 012, although it is marked on the TDC dials
And now you know the torpedoes went EXACTLY where you told them to. Before or after the save is a red herring, a distraction having nothing to do with your targeting problem. Your procedure is wrong.
Old 05-13-17, 07:03 PM   #5
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:

See, your AoB is wrong. Your AoB for the TDC is AoB at the shoot point, NOT AoB at the impact point. In this case your AoB is 90-12=78º Port. Your AoB is 12º off and your torpedoes are going wrong just as you told them to.
AAhhh that's it! You are right!! My bad!!

I was forgetting to readjust manually the AOB as in SH5, AOB is automatically adjusted if the scope is readjusted too! that's the key!

Sorry, bad SH5 habits, I was assuming, the AOB on the TDC would automatically readjust as SH5 does

Thanks a lot! without those red "all wrong" letters, I would have never noticed it

I will try it now and see that sub tender going down

Old 05-13-17, 09:12 PM   #6
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:

And now you know the torpedoes went EXACTLY where you told them to. Before or after the save is a red herring, a distraction having nothing to do with your targeting problem. Your procedure is wrong.
mm OK, so I tried correcting the issue with the AOB and I still have the same problem.

Simple example of the issue. If you start just a new patrol or single mission, open any torpedo tube and fire, the fish will go on a straight path. If I load my saved game, and do the same (TDC is all fresh, range: 0, AOB: 0, speed: 0, gyro:0, everything is in 0), and then I fire my torpedo, and it makes a -30 gyro, and the question is why??? If I do that from a fresh patrol starting at port or tender, this will not happen

UPDATE: so I started I new patrol, tested firing a fish with TDC fresh, worked fine as mentioned, then I loaded immediately my game afterwards and it worked as well. It is for sure a bug, but I have no idea what is going on.
Old 05-14-17, 04:08 AM   #7
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon10

As far as I know, you play SH4 with my ModPack.
I suspect now that you have the new update V1.3 not yet installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
Revision Ralles ModPack V1.3
https://workupload.com/file/dybLZ7s

Replaces all previous versions of Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC.
Please note installation instructions in the first post.

Remark:
This replaces only the ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC.
The proper installation of TMO_RSRDC_OTC before the ModPack is therefore absolutely necessary for the function.

So far it was known:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente
Ralles ModPack V1.3beta Update
What has changed or has been added:

1. Enhanced EnvMod experimental; Derived from W_clear's EnvMod for SH5 with new weather cycles and climate zones
2. AI shoots torpedoes - this allows enemy pt boats and destroyers to shoot torpedos at you while your on the service
3. Tambor class (including the Gar`s) now has a test depth of 300 feet
Background - the Tambors are identical to the Gatos in terms of construction, material and quality; The Gato class differs only by an additional bulkhead in the engine room
4. New is the damage model of Bilge_Rat`s Longer Sinking Times
5. OfficeLinks, InfoBoxes, and 50 cal V2.1 by Frederick J. Barnett
6. TMO torpedoes reactivated (if you like TorpedoUpdate, you can now enable it individually)
7. Equipment and ammunition for deck guns and anti-aircraft weapons revised
8. various small adjustments
The TorpedoUpdateV2 from Bubblehead contained in ModPack causes this (desired) malfunction of the torpedoes.
In order to prevent misunderstandings as well as uncertainties (for example, with newcomers with manual targets), I have re-activated the TMO torpedos.
However, if you like the whims and uncertainties of TorpedoUpdateV2, you can now enable this as an optional mod.

Last edited by Bleiente; 05-14-17 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-14-17, 06:57 AM   #8
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

If you want to fire you torpedoes in a straight line (dead ahead 0) Make sure your periscope is centered on zero push the L key to lock you torpedo path will be dead ahead 0
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17, 09:18 AM   #9
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
As far as I know, you play SH4 with my ModPack.
I suspect now that you have the new update V1.3 not yet installed.

The TorpedoUpdateV2 from Bubblehead contained in ModPack causes this (desired) malfunction of the torpedoes.
In order to prevent misunderstandings as well as uncertainties (for example, with newcomers with manual targets), I have re-activated the TMO torpedos.
However, if you like the whims and uncertainties of TorpedoUpdateV2, you can now enable this as an optional mod.

I saw the readme files, but completley missed the "gyro" word on it .___. kill me now!

Lol, thanks for your input!! Now I can tell I'm not crazy and my game is good!
Old 05-15-17, 05:28 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Gotta love it! I'm glad you're sorted out and having fun.
Old 05-16-17, 12:36 PM   #11
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Quote:
Gotta love it! I'm glad you're sorted out and having fun.
Lol, I wouldn't say fun during those days, I spent houts trying to figure what was happening and in 2-3 days I couldn't go oin with my patrol

Thanks for the help btw.