SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-08, 10:11 AM   #256
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovic7
MR SMITH! :rotfl:

Without you matrix will not be the same..

Honestly..
Why do you bother with phoenix and such..

I think your mods are improvement to the game.. More less irrelevant..
For instance phoenix says to me there is no need in fixing "WHATS needs no fix".
I dissagree. I think your chips idea is great, because it's lame for me or anyone to see 15000t ship hopping on the little waves like little cayack in hurricane.
So it's cool.. If it gets the distance you want(your mod) GREAT..
Any mod that gets released no matter how dumb, great, realism improved or decreased is one idea, one mod( ) that enriches sh3 world..
So, stop ranting with those "maybe I will go" ****..
And return to mr. smith cool talk..

aND please stop with those lectures to people "read the readmes, discuss, not war, blabla bla".. Smart enuf guy will know what to do and what to ask.. Lazy guy also.. :rotfl:
But you cannot abandon lost sh(ee)ps and spit on them..

P.S. I got a reply about "usubs decrease speed" that it would be back to square one. I DISSAGREE. If you have problems with turning and speeding(not like now 10 secs from 2 to 15 kts) and dd has the same like in real life = SWEAT, TEARS, CURSING BLASTED LUCK ETC.. It would then be strategy simulation for real. IMO and maybe I am wrong.. With wind affecting the sea and THEREFOR sail, fuel consumption etc...

P.S. If you are going to some cruise trip around the world or such, have a nice trip! (internet is everywhere available so don't bulls..t)

Cheers to everyone

ONE MORE THING: I would not like this to be understood as I want to fight with phoenix, or I don't like him. I just disagree with him.. On this matter..
And I think he may have took things a little too serious..

I agree Thomsen must stay Führerbefehl
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:20 AM   #257
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Just read some of the posts here.. Not all, no, but few..

Have to say, phoenixx, you really are a real tester for snooker skills of thomsen and in times it seems you seem to disturb the concentrating balance of the game..
Or the calm lake..

:rotfl:

Yeah, pt, what's that other group?

Kidding, kidding.. :rotfl:

The only problem here is IN MY OPINION is if you take away the speed of the ships, you have to take away the speed of the uboat, otherwise, you are like a new line of xxxiii(would go out 1948) in this game..

p.s. wizardmatt, a late responsefrom me! boooooooooooo!
Forza ferrari, that welsh guy in thomsens sportis the best(are there any welsh guys, and what is aston villa? :rotfl: (Wayne Rooney, half Irish, half animal :rotfl: , at last 100)
Who are Aston Villa? We are the team who have won more European Cups than Split, Chelsea and Arsenal combined :p
God Save the Queen :rotfl:
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:35 AM   #258
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama
Quote:
My modding days will be over, and I might spend two or three years without even posting here.

Should you however want to continue with the mod I have the following to share:

It now seems there're also some big ships there behaving pretty well with their engine power at 10%. ATM I'm chasing this vessel resembling a troopship (these stormy OLCE nights are very dark so it's hard to be positive yet) and the bugger is chugging along pretty fast, definitely at 10kts+ at any rate.

The seas are at least as rough as they were when I reported on the slow-as-molasses medium freighter, so maybe there's something there? Just an uneducated observation, though
I told you guys zillion of times.

Reducing the engine power doesn't reduce the ship's maximum speed, just increases the time for a ship to accelerate to said maximum speed. If it's 20 kts, the ship will eventually get there, but will take more then half hour.
Old 12-02-08, 11:41 AM   #259
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
MR SMITH! :rotfl:

Without you matrix will not be the same..

Honestly..
Why do you bother with phoenix and such..

I think your mods are improvement to the game.. More less irrelevant..
For instance phoenix says to me there is no need in fixing "WHATS needs no fix".
I dissagree. I think your chips idea is great, because it's lame for me or anyone to see 15000t ship hopping on the little waves like little cayack in hurricane.
So it's cool.. If it gets the distance you want(your mod) GREAT..
Any mod that gets released no matter how dumb, great, realism improved or decreased is one idea, one mod( ) that enriches sh3 world..
So, stop ranting with those "maybe I will go" ****..
And return to mr. smith cool talk..

aND please stop with those lectures to people "read the readmes, discuss, not war, blabla bla".. Smart enuf guy will know what to do and what to ask.. Lazy guy also.. :rotfl:
But you cannot abandon lost sh(ee)ps and spit on them..

P.S. I got a reply about "usubs decrease speed" that it would be back to square one. I DISSAGREE. If you have problems with turning and speeding(not like now 10 secs from 2 to 15 kts) and dd has the same like in real life = SWEAT, TEARS, CURSING BLASTED LUCK ETC.. It would then be strategy simulation for real. IMO and maybe I am wrong.. With wind affecting the sea and THEREFOR sail, fuel consumption etc...

P.S. If you are going to some cruise trip around the world or such, have a nice trip! (internet is everywhere available so don't bulls..t)

Cheers to everyone

ONE MORE THING: I would not like this to be understood as I want to fight with phoenix, or I don't like him. I just disagree with him.. On this matter..
And I think he may have took things a little too serious..
My journey has nothing to do with being pissed off at someone. (and I'm not).

Has to do with something I had planned for long time, and I feel the time has come.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134126
Old 12-02-08, 03:49 PM   #260
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

does anyone know how to remote control a merchant by script for example. any ideas? i plan to do some researches, if ships really reach their max speed despite drastically reduced engine power. if so, realistic maneuverability can be modeled as PT did.

if so, the aqua-dynamic ship model used within sh3 does not correspond with physics (in RL then there would be no need for strong machines if ships could reach their desired speed with much weaker engines.)
Old 12-02-08, 04:08 PM   #261
h.sie
Admiral

i want to have them at 0kn and then at a defined time (trigger) i want them to accelerate to max. speed.
Old 12-02-08, 04:24 PM   #262
h.sie
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Oh ok, well you can put a ship dead stopped in the editor and set its first waypoint to its max speed, so you just have to start timing as the mission starts ? Maybe there's others ways to do it, I'm not too savvy with the mission editor except placing units & basic waypoints.
worth to try it out, thank you. i didn't know that one can assign a speed to a waypoint....but i will see......
Old 12-02-08, 06:45 PM   #263
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Guys, use your brain.

Set the uboat engine power to 10% of it's original power and go for a ride.

I already did it. And as I said before, the max speed doesn't change, just the time to get there.

Last edited by Philipp_Thomsen; 12-02-08 at 06:46 PM.
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 09:02 PM   #264
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Guys, use your brain.

I already did it. And as I said before, the max speed doesn't change, just the time to get there.

Yeah and if you use yours you'll notice that with your combination of low power + high drag a ship doing 15 knots will slow down to a mere 5 as soon as it starts zigzaging, compared to 10 without your mod.
BUT THAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!

I still don't understand what you want to fix!
Old 12-02-08, 09:08 PM   #265
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
Quote:
Oh ok, well you can put a ship dead stopped in the editor and set its first waypoint to its max speed, so you just have to start timing as the mission starts ? Maybe there's others ways to do it, I'm not too savvy with the mission editor except placing units & basic waypoints.
worth to try it out, thank you. i didn't know that one can assign a speed to a waypoint....but i will see......
You can do some neat stuff with mission Editor.
A usually use it to do Stunt flying for aircraft!
I'll script 5 aircraft flying in a wedge and have them increase speed and
start a split as they climb!

It's awesome to watch!
Sometimes I add Smoke in different colors just
for the thrill!
FPS really takes a hit but it's so Danged COOL!!

Here's an early example of Stunt Flying.
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ent=Fly_By.flv

Last edited by Madox58; 12-02-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 01:49 AM   #266
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guys, use your brain.

Yeah and if you use yours you'll notice that with your combination of low power + high drag a ship doing 15 knots will slow down to a mere 5 as soon as it starts zigzaging, compared to 10 without your mod.
BUT THAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!

I still don't understand what you want to fix!

the acceleration ability "linked" to the moment of inertia and not to the drag.

in other words,

if you get lower the power and increase the drag, you get a slower acceleration ability due to low power and high drag effect.

An other way to reach this, is mantaining the stock power, and increase the inertia momentum (that I don't know where is and if exists in sh3!). In this way you will have the same effect on take down the acceleration ability, but without a so big slow down effect during the turning.

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php

Last edited by Sag75; 12-03-08 at 01:50 AM.
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:24 AM   #267
h.sie
Admiral

it is obvious to use an uboat for testing, but I'm not sure wheather freighters and uboats use the same implementation of aqua-dynamic model. sh3 uses so many inaccurate simplifications.....being pedantic and perfectionist, I prefer to do my testing with merchants to avoid unknown effects that falsify my results.

thanks, privateer. but my mission editor is hard to use (buggy?). if i move the mouse to a certain point (e.g. x=20, y=20) in order to place a ship at that position, the editor places the ship far away, at x=60, y=60. and it's very hard to mark units in order to change their properties.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-03-08 at 02:25 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:35 AM   #268
Lucky Starr
Bosun

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
.......but my mission editor is hard to use (buggy?). if i move the mouse to a certain point (e.g. x=20, y=20) in order to place a ship at that position, the editor places the ship far away, at x=60, y=60. and it's very hard to mark units in order to change their properties.
Servus h.sie!

Do you use the hi-res-fix (d3d9.dll)?? If yes, you had to rename this file temporarely and than start the mission-editor. Because hi-res-fix and mission editor don't like each ohter.

Hope this helps.
Angriff, ran, versenken
Lucky Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:42 AM   #269
h.sie
Admiral

Sag wrote: "An other way to reach this, is mantaining the stock power, and increase the inertia momentum (that I don't know where is and if exists in sh3!). In this way you will have the same effect on take down the acceleration ability, but without a so big slow down effect during the turning."

yep. the moment of inertia is proportional to the mass (if the mass is concentrated in one single point). one needs to enlarge the mass in order to get a higher moment of inertia and a lower acceleration. F(orce) = m(ass) * a(cceleration), so that

a = F/m.

One can edit the ships mass using S3D, but I'm afraid of unexpected side-effects....if I remember right, the mass is defined a) in the cfg-file of the ships and b) in the sim-file. I guess that the mass in the cfg-file is used for the recognition manual only and has no physicalic effect, while the mass in the .sim-file is used for the physicalic behaviour of the ship model. but I'm not sure, because I'm not a modder. I only want to have an halfway "realistic" game.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-03-08 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 02:44 AM   #270
h.sie
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Starr
Do you use the hi-res-fix (d3d9.dll)?? If yes, you had to rename this file temporarely and than start the mission-editor. Because hi-res-fix and mission editor don't like each ohter.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I use it. Thank you very much for your help. (This is a really cool forum.) One gets so much help. ...... wow. so many competent people here. what about programming an own subsim-simulator instead of debugging an buggy commercial game? (but without me, I program 8 hrs/day.)

Last edited by h.sie; 12-03-08 at 03:19 AM.