Nice work here !

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 07:49 PM   #92
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

Nice work! I'm amazed at how rapidly things are progressing.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 10:08 PM   #93
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44

Thanks guys. Any input is welome. What do you WANT in a subsim. What should be OMITTED in a subsim?
Old 03-11-15, 09:22 AM   #94
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

From my point of view as realism-nut two things:

- A random at least, and dynamic if possible campaign is something that any enthusiast will rquest Adds the element of uncertainty (As in real life) and loads of replay value.

- Ability to operate yourself as many systems as possible, or let the AI do it.

Of course a great physics model with believable dynamics is always welcomed, but that one doesnt need to be ultimately perfect, just a good one should suffice.

A good example of the style of game/campaign I'm thinking of, is "Red Storm Rising"
Old 03-11-15, 10:12 AM   #95
nsomnia
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
From my point of view as realism-nut two things:

- A random at least, and dynamic if possible campaign is something that any enthusiast will rquest Adds the element of uncertainty (As in real life) and loads of replay value.

- Ability to operate yourself as many systems as possible, or let the AI do it.

Of course a great physics model with believable dynamics is always welcomed, but that one doesnt need to be ultimately perfect, just a good one should suffice.

A good example of the style of game/campaign I'm thinking of, is "Red Storm Rising"
The alpha will be scripted but enemies are friendlies are currently free to do as they please via AI.

I want to operate as many systems as possible, more will get added in time. We are going to start with propulsino and weapons, then sonar.

Have to replay it! Been a looooong time. We want some sort of intense story with a spirital kindve feeling. "Why am I fighting this war. Why must I extinquish these evils?"

Today im getting starting on the alpha GUI and optomizing the code. My partner is working on the boat physics and player control. I'm making characters in my spare time. Expect a downloadable demo within a couple/few weeks. Tops.
Old 03-11-15, 06:26 PM   #96
nsomnia
Weps

Diving, periscope depth, surfacing etc. at all stopped. Simulating blowing tanks and opening vents.

Its a skype call so the quality is terrible and the underwater FX dont kick in till its real deep but it shows the basics.
Old 03-12-15, 07:21 PM   #97
nsomnia
Weps

Is anyone really even following this? considering posting a new thread now that the following features are implemented:

Diving, surfacing, keepig depth, periscope depth, changing speed, down/up angle, underwater caustics & damage models. We are going to use a struct for buyouancy test points, hundreds of them all over the boat so that we can simulate damage very realistically.

Will take a video tonight. Or do you guys prefer pictures?

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-12-15 at 07:41 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 10:28 PM   #98
nsomnia
Weps

showing off some of the new features.

A screencapture no texture yet. Well except the ocean normal map and foam maps.

Old 03-13-15, 10:19 AM   #99
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

It's coming together nicely!

The submerging and surfacing physics need a little more tweaking but I'm seeing all the hard work you guys have been doing come to fruition.
Old 03-13-15, 09:23 PM   #100
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomnia View Post
Is anyone really even following this?
Hi nsomnia, I'm following this thread with great interest. I visit it everyday to see if there are any developments and I'm really looking forward to the alpha. Take care.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-15, 09:50 PM   #101
nsomnia
Weps

Thanks guys. At the rate we are going if we had a dedicated modeller (Especailly one that can model clothing for makehuman in blender) it would come together 2x as fast and with another programmer/visual scripter we would have an early access in no time. Weve gone from a model to what you see in a week and a half. Most of it just monday-thursday. 4 days.
Old 03-14-15, 07:31 PM   #102
nsomnia
Weps

Re-compiled the source with the fish manger and fish addon c++ code. Will be importing all the models and testing the flocking and prey behaviors.

Taking some time off though. It appears the canvas system (UMG) aka for the GUI is broken in Blueprint, and I hate making GUI's through code, so I posted to the forums for a workaround.
Old 03-15-15, 02:00 AM   #103
nsomnia
Weps

PRogress. Finally getting some GUI (yes the SHV stuff are obviously just placeholders)

Old 03-15-15, 01:48 PM   #104
nsomnia
Weps

Got the speed readout working, depth readout, a basic message log system started (one at a time for now, need to figure out how to make a log that appends messages line by line), simple audio, periscope overlay with zooming in/out, and the simple submarine dynamics from before.

Next up: Get the periscope camera to move up/down with [ins]/[del]

My partners back tonight so this week should make for some major changes. Especially once we rewrite the buoyancy system to use huge structs instead of a small array.
Old 03-16-15, 12:43 AM   #105
nsomnia
Weps

Periscope rotates along the z, and y axis clamped to +/-30d on the Y, zooms in and out, depth and speed meter work, fixed to feet (not to scale yet though) and knots and obvservation periscope goes up and down with page up/down.

Video its only a couple minutes no energy to do screenshots sorry guys. Downloadable demo by april 5th goal, end of april max. Early access sales by june 20th.