SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: How would you prefer?
All in a single mod (only 1 Big Mod) 42 52.50%
Just the way it is (in parts) 38 47.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-12, 12:07 PM   #451
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 301
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Hello pedrobas has risen to its download page the latest version? I see only 0.3
Thanks
No, i don´t know what happens with gamefront but it continues giving me "IO server error" when trying to upload tthe files.
p1 and p2 are uploaded
trying once more with p3.
Someday it will finish, patience.
pedrobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 05:59 PM   #452
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Wow, so someone has finally attempted a supermod/mega mod. I applaud your effort.

I can't help but notice the poll, and the multiple parts for the install. Having worked on a supermod myself for a number of years, here is my unsolicited advice:

1. Keep the published install simple. Mainly because it will save you headaches in terms of number of files to upload, and answering the same questions over and over again. Also minimizes the chances that someone screws up the install, which also saves you headaches.

2.) Having said keep the published install simple, if your at a stage where your doing rapid fire updates, or updating on a regular basis, break the published mod down into two parts.

- Part one being anything code like. Cfg, eqp, dat, dsd, upc, etc etc etc etc. This is the guts of the mod anyway, and really the stuff you update the most. It also happens to be the smallest part in terms of file size, which makes uploading easier.

- Part two being all the stuff you don't normally update. Primarly Graphics, and sounds. This tends to be the bulk of the file size, and the longest to upload. Also Granted there will be some dependency between part one and part two. (IE, UI mod in part 1 that will require some graphical file you've put in part 2) But if their installing your megamod, they should have both parts installed for it to work correctly anyway right?

3.) Keep your working copy of the mod, Your way.
Install the published mod, but for the changes your making, keep everything in separate JSGME modlets, and use naming conventions. For example, my JSGME mod list might look like:

MY_SUPERMODPart1
MY_SUPERMODPart2
WIP_SUB_Dats
WIP_SUB_EQP_UPC
WIP_SUB_ConningTowers
WIP_INT_ControlRoom
WIP_INT_RadioRoom
WIP_INT_ConningTower
WIP_UNITS_AIR
WIP_UNITS_Sea_Merchants
WIP_UNITS_Sea_warships
WIP_CAMP_Flotilla
WIP_CAMP_Layers
z_TEST_SomeCrazyIdea

etc etc etc.

Going about it this way gives you more scalabilty, gives you more direct access to individual parts, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, reduces trashing of your hard drive. Its much easier to enable/renable an individual part, then half a mod. Much quicker too.

Once your done making changes, deactivate and compile all those smaller Works In Progress into a patch for your reference. Just so you know what all the changes are being made. Save that somewhere (i never did, but i should have), and then copy that patch's data directory, straight into the data directory of your Part1, increment the version count, and off it goes onto gamefront or where ever.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 02:59 AM   #453
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

After a whole day trying to upload v0.4 to Gamefront with no luck, i´ve changed the server and uploaded to Mediafire.

Both Lite and Medium versions ready, also "No magic Skills MMM v0.4 compatible"

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?dzyhz25mlg4px

Last edited by pedrobas; 03-08-12 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-08-12, 03:03 AM   #454
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Wow, so someone has finally attempted a supermod/mega mod. I applaud your effort.

I can't help but notice the poll, and the multiple parts for the install. Having worked on a supermod myself for a number of years, here is my unsolicited advice:

1. Keep the published install simple. Mainly because it will save you headaches in terms of number of files to upload, and answering the same questions over and over again. Also minimizes the chances that someone screws up the install, which also saves you headaches.

2.) Having said keep the published install simple, if your at a stage where your doing rapid fire updates, or updating on a regular basis, break the published mod down into two parts.

- Part one being anything code like. Cfg, eqp, dat, dsd, upc, etc etc etc etc. This is the guts of the mod anyway, and really the stuff you update the most. It also happens to be the smallest part in terms of file size, which makes uploading easier.

- Part two being all the stuff you don't normally update. Primarly Graphics, and sounds. This tends to be the bulk of the file size, and the longest to upload. Also Granted there will be some dependency between part one and part two. (IE, UI mod in part 1 that will require some graphical file you've put in part 2) But if their installing your megamod, they should have both parts installed for it to work correctly anyway right?

3.) Keep your working copy of the mod, Your way.
Install the published mod, but for the changes your making, keep everything in separate JSGME modlets, and use naming conventions. For example, my JSGME mod list might look like:

MY_SUPERMODPart1
MY_SUPERMODPart2
WIP_SUB_Dats
WIP_SUB_EQP_UPC
WIP_SUB_ConningTowers
WIP_INT_ControlRoom
WIP_INT_RadioRoom
WIP_INT_ConningTower
WIP_UNITS_AIR
WIP_UNITS_Sea_Merchants
WIP_UNITS_Sea_warships
WIP_CAMP_Flotilla
WIP_CAMP_Layers
z_TEST_SomeCrazyIdea

etc etc etc.

Going about it this way gives you more scalabilty, gives you more direct access to individual parts, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, reduces trashing of your hard drive. Its much easier to enable/renable an individual part, then half a mod. Much quicker too.

Once your done making changes, deactivate and compile all those smaller Works In Progress into a patch for your reference. Just so you know what all the changes are being made. Save that somewhere (i never did, but i should have), and then copy that patch's data directory, straight into the data directory of your Part1, increment the version count, and off it goes onto gamefront or where ever.
Thank you very much Ducimus, for your usefull advices (i´ve already learnt with "pain" some of the tips you give me). I´m open to any other suggestion you want to tell me.
Thanks again for your time.
Old 03-08-12, 05:59 AM   #455
SH5 Fan
Watch

Downloads: 51

Can I use the Deutschmod to make the OH Missions german?
I want the text of the Equipment Upgrades and the missions in german language please.
SH5 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 06:48 AM   #456
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH5 Fan View Post
Can I use the Deutschmod to make the OH Missions german?
I want the text of the Equipment Upgrades and the missions in german language please.
You can do it. See page 11 of this thread.
Old 03-08-12, 07:00 AM   #457
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

UPLOADING NOW the first version of MMM in just one big (huge) mod.

"MMM v0.4 AIO" (all in one)

When finish it will be available in the same link of my signature.

I hope you enjoy.

Old 03-08-12, 07:52 AM   #458
nonpollolike
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

Thank you very much for this Pedrobas.

Saludos desde Málaga.
nonpollolike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:52 AM   #459
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

Seems that something similar to SH3 GWX is just getting born here. Thank you and keep going pedrobas.

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 09:32 AM   #460
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat View Post
Seems that something similar to SH3 GWX is just getting born here. Thank you and keep going pedrobas.
Please don't associate any of my work with anything dealing with GWX. I will not tolerate it It's best if that name is never brought up again in this forum.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 09:47 AM   #461
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobas View Post
UPLOADING NOW the first version of MMM in just one big (huge) mod.

"MMM v0.4 AIO" (all in one)

When finish it will be available in the same link of my signature.

I hope you enjoy.

Hello pedrobas, firstly many thanks! And in AIO is the full version (no little nor medium version) of uekel´s MTNS?
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 10:05 AM   #462
muhomor1971
Swabbie

Downloads: 175

***1086;***1075;***1086;
muhomor1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 10:24 AM   #463
muhomor1971
Swabbie

Downloads: 175

I cannot dive to periscope depth included the periscope
muhomor1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 10:25 AM   #464
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobas View Post
After a whole day trying to upload v0.4 to Gamefront with no luck, i´ve changed the server and uploaded to Mediafire.

Both Lite and Medium versions ready, also "No magic Skills MMM v0.4 compatible"

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?dzyhz25mlg4px

Well done Pedro!
Together with the Gamefront issue, I think I am in moral debt with you for delaying the release of your v0.4
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 11:42 AM   #465
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef von Posorschitz View Post
Hello pedrobas, firstly many thanks! And in AIO is the full version (no little nor medium version) of uekel´s MTNS?
Not yet, Josef , but it´s getting closer !!