SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-06, 10:50 PM   #1
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default NYGM U-Boat Mod & No Damage Control Mod for NYGM TW 2.0 - Picture Update

These two separate items are inseparable when attempting to produce a more realistic experience.

The idea for the NYGM No Damage Control Mod was gouldjg’s. It was his request for this that prompted me to search out a way to stop the use of the Damage Control team for certain compartments. Now, the Damage Control Team can only be used for the crew quarters, the conning tower & AA/Deck guns. All damage for a compartment must be done by the men within that compartment. We have also moved the repair (only) of the batteries from the crew quarters to the bow torpedo room. The only times that you will have a use for the Damage Control Team is for flooding of the crew quarters or for external repairs.

The NYGM U-boat mod includes…
  • The Anti-Humming Bird mod
  • The redesigned zone size and locations
  • New damage & flood values
  • External repairs for external items
The Anti-Humming Bird mod is where at speeds of 0 knots you will slowly sink, at speeds of 1 knot you can maintain depth but not change to a lesser depth. To change depth you need speeds of 2+ knots.

We have redesigned the u-boat damage zones to historical size and location from u-boat plans so that damage is better represented. As we have made so many other fundamental changes we also could not for example, just slot in the excellent Hollywood u-boat mod. NYGM is building upon the work previously done by others. Without this work we would have had to start from scratch.

We have for example reduced the fore crew quarters from being the same size as the fore torpedo room to the size of the sonar/radio room. We have reduced the size of the engine damage zones while at the same time moving them further inside the u-boat. With the resizing of the torpedo tubes it is now possible to have the torpedo tube damaged and not have the torpedo room damaged, or vice versa.

New damage & flood values have been done as to make flooding occur less often but when if does occur because of the No Damage Control Mod the effects are amplified greatly. It will now take longer to bring the flooding under control and also a lot longer to pump the water out. We have also armoured up the external items to make the possibility of damage such that only a depth charge exploding on top of the item at near maximum HP will damage/destroy it.

External repairs for external items. Previously any item that was not attached to the conning tower could be repaired while submerged. This is not longer the case. The torpedo tubes now will require you to be surfaced to be repaired.

We have also changed the Crash Speed. Crash Speed is how many HP’s are lost per second in certain situations, one being when below maximum depth the other is when colliding with land or another ship. I don’t believe this is a new idea, I am sure someone has done this previously.

HP reduction with these crash speeds would be 0.10 = 1 HP reduction 10 seconds or 0.16 minutes = 10 HP per 1 minute 39 seconds.

For a u-boat that had 60 HP’s left, that would work out to be 9 minutes 54 seconds so no instant deaths and excessive damage incurred quickly.

In a recent depth charge attack I was extensively damaged, I had tried to go deeper than the current 80 metres when as I reached 90 metres I started to get damage warnings and glass breaking etc indicating that I am going past my new maximum depth allowing me to order a new depth and still live to fight.

Last edited by Der Teddy Bar; 06-04-06 at 03:17 AM.
Der Teddy Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 11:03 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Overall sounds like a fun package. I really like the zone reworking, that's intriuging, and sounds like a very positive change.

I have to say though, 0.10? and here i thought i was being generious with 0.5.

edit:
Forgot to ask, obviously its going to be bunded with NYGM, but will there be a seperate, standalone version as well?

Last edited by Ducimus; 05-30-06 at 11:07 PM.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 11:18 PM   #3
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

One suggestion . Can you not use the dark blue writing in your posts . I cannot see it .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 11:22 PM   #4
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Forgot to ask, obviously its going to be bunded with NYGM, but will there be a seperate, standalone version as well?
We will be discussing what can and cannot be done as a modlet after the NYGM TW 2.0 release.

For what can and cannot be done we must consider mod crossover issues and of what unrelated mod might need to be bundled into something else.

There is also the time required that could be better spent elsewhere, such as the Coastal Command Mod.

So while we will, if considered practical, release NYGM modlets, there is no promise that any of the NYGM TW 2.0 will be released as a modlet.
Old 05-31-06, 03:13 AM   #5
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
One suggestion . Can you not use the dark blue writing in your posts . I cannot see it .
Was just about to write the exact same thing!

Yes DTB, the blue clashes with the "Admin Blue" and "SmartDark" schemes.

And before someone else points it out, I know I can select/highlight the text to make it easier to read.

Last edited by JScones; 05-31-06 at 04:01 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 10:19 AM   #6
Yahoshua
The Old Man

Sounds wonderful Herr Teddy Bar.
Yahoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 02:24 PM   #7
supersloth
Seaman

Downloads: 15

cant wait to try out the new anti humming bird mode
supersloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 04:00 PM   #8
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Can't wait to have all of NYGM 2.0
Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 08:16 PM   #9
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Do you plan to provide the hex "offsteps" for AI_Sensor.dat or any other "binary" based files you are changing or adding to??? Since I use SH3 Commander, it would like to know so I can make changes as need.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 09:12 PM   #10
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Do you plan to provide the hex "offsteps" for AI_Sensor.dat or any other "binary" based files you are changing or adding to??? Since I use SH3 Commander, it would like to know so I can make changes as need.
We use the NYGM SHIII Tool. I couldn't use a hex editor to do anything even on the promise of a date with Lauren Graham.

What is it you want to know?
Old 05-31-06, 09:39 PM   #11
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teddy Bar
We use the NYGM SHIII Tool. I couldn't use a hex editor to do anything even on the promise of a date with Lauren Graham.

What is it you want to know?

1.I don’t plan to use a hex editor on your files

2.The requested information is based on a number post where you state that your going to make changes / additions to AI_sensor.dat and other files in support of NGYM 2.0

3.I use SH3 Commander 2.5/2.6 which has the capability of changing text/binary files.

4.Some of the files that you are going to change, I also change with SH3 Commander.

5.I just would like to known the hex “offsets” of the changes/additions are to save time when I mod some of the “rules” files in TimeTravelers “SH3 Mini Tweaker” for my own uses.

6.Other Mod maker may also like to have the information.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 04:40 AM   #12
XXi
Ensign

Downloads: 20

Excellent news, Herr Teddy Bear !
Even though that line about no damage control seem to be hard for me. But, anyway...
AS for the blue text: you can highlight it and it becomes visible again. Perhaps not the best method, but still some way to handle.

XXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 05:00 AM   #13
gouldjg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 4

I can imagine many players feeling a little queezy about the potential no damage control but I personally think the benefits of it far outweighs the negatives.

In every compartment except the crew rest areas, the men will automatically start to do repairs but these now take much longer as they no longer have uber repairs by adding a damage control team which usually does the job in 45 seconds.

Now I have no idea how NYGM have implemented their number systems but I do feel confident that they have considered all the hit points and flooding factors so the player can still maintain a sense of control. I think DT and Observer have done a excelent job with this butI am biased for my own reasons .

Personally I would much rather see repairs lasting 10-15 minutes than 45 seconds max.

Gouldjg's Crew Ability Balancing Mod for SH5 1.2
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169630
gouldjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 07:50 AM   #14
Hawk U-375
Engineer

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldjg
Personally I would much rather see repairs lasting 10-15 minutes than 45 seconds max.

Me too........
Hawk U-375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 08:23 AM   #15
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldjg
I can imagine many players feeling a little queezy about the potential no damage control but I personally think the benefits of it far outweighs the negatives.

In every compartment except the crew rest areas, the men will automatically start to do repairs but these now take much longer as they no longer have uber repairs by adding a damage control team which usually does the job in 45 seconds.

Now I have no idea how NYGM have implemented their number systems but I do feel confident that they have considered all the hit points and flooding factors so the player can still maintain a sense of control. I think DT and Observer have done a excelent job with this butI am biased for my own reasons .

Agreed! There are things that simply can't be done in 45 seconds!
It's far from gamey! That's how it should be in the first place. Flooding through a broken Pappenberg can be fixed quickly by closing the valve that leads to it. But not everything is that simple!
I wouldn't even mind damage that takes hours! :hmm:
Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote