Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-17, 03:33 AM   #1
alien1234
Mate

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default WoS parallel torpedo attack comp setup

Hi I have had a lot of success of doing guess work on a standard torp attack of a 90 deg angle.
I.E :- im facing north 0 deg stationary, the enemy ship is running West270deg to East 90deg at estimated 5 to 10 kts and an aprox range of 1000metrs with the setup at 300deg on the periscope.
So my guess work for the computer set up is :- AoB stboard side 90deg angle, range 1000metrs, speed 7kts, torp setup its self is 1 mtr depth fastest speed and impact detination, after entering the data I wait until the ship nears 0 deg on the periscope, usually fire off at 350deg, I dont bother resetting the distance. 50% of the time I get a direct centre hit, 30% its either a bow or stern hit, 20% of the time a miss usually only by a few feet, either by my speed guess is out or the torp has been spotted. My realism is set to high so I get no map data etc, the only thing I can use is the torp tracking lines on the map and the periscope angle view markings on the map, how ever I dont use these on an easy set up, I do use it after firing the torp.

Now what I want to know is how do I set up for a parallel torp attack?
I.E I found a small convoy, I cant use the deck gun as 1 ship is armed (take this out first so I can use the deck gun). the convoy is running east 90deg at 6kts, im running east 90deg at 6kts at a range of 800mtrs and on the south side of the convoy, I know the periscope angle will be around 270deg, computer setup as 6kts range 800mtrs.
How do I work out the angle on the bow and setup for this type of attack? Also at this point I have to use the torp track angle on the map I know this is cheating but I cant work it out lol and I havent found anything on the internet for this type of attack. Thanks
alien1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 11:15 AM   #2
alien1234
Mate

Bump, can anyone help, or point me to a video if there is one?
Old 05-03-17, 12:13 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Alien
A 90 degree attack 360/0 periscope bearing to the targets course line (TCL) is AOB 90 degrees port or starboard known as a fast shoot.
The range is not important although a range still needs to be entered into the TDC.
Ideally you should be positioned not further than 1,000 metres away from the targets course line.
The targets speed is important along with the torpedo speed will setup your gyro angles firing position when both needles are pointing vertically.
This will be a number of degrees to the left or right of the periscopes 360/0 bearing.
Firing the torpedo as the target passes the periscopes cross hair will give you a high percentage of hits everytime.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 01:02 PM   #4
alien1234
Mate

Ah ok so setting the AoB to either port or stbord 90deg angle should be fine?

Speed and distance isnt a problem just trying to work out the AoB lol.

I have been trying when the destroyers have been searching for me, I have had very little luck as setup as a random shot, but i`l try what you have said and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 05-03-17, 01:36 PM   #5
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien1234 View Post
Ah ok so setting the AoB to either port or stbord 90deg angle should be fine?

Speed and distance isnt a problem just trying to work out the AoB lol.

I have been trying when the destroyers have been searching for me, I have had very little luck as setup as a random shot, but i`l try what you have said and see what happens.

Thanks
I'm wondering why you are doing guesswork. There are tons of different tools available - the biggest thing that is different is you will have a gyro angle approaching 90 degrees with a parallel attack vs. a zero gyro angle during a perpendicular attack.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 03:14 PM   #6
alien1234
Mate

I have done the "math" side of setting up, from my experience I found it does take a while, with the guess work I have been doing I can set up quickly, running around trying to find a firing solution on several ships using rulers etc just takes too long. I wonder if real U boat commanders did all their calculations by guess work and observations?
Old 05-03-17, 04:38 PM   #7
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

I've found that you need to "play around" with the TDC dials to figure out what they do BEFORE going in for an attack.

Using your 90 attack method (aka a straight ahead shot) I'd play around with the setting until you get a 0 degree gyro angle. This make the torpedo impact your target at exactly 90 degrees and reduces the chance for a deflection (tho if you set the depth too deep it will deflect down). In this specific attack (90 degree torpedo impact) Range really has no affect on the gyro angle beyond like 500 meters. My set up is I line up the scope at 0 degrees. Then turn the TDC on and enter the data Im looking for in a 90 degree shot. That would be 90 AOB (left or right) and Target speed. I turn the TDC back off to slave the scope to the TDC. Now I turn the Periscope (or UZO) until I see a 0 degree gyro angle (on the TDC). Now I note the bearing in the scope. This is the bearing to shoot at for a perfect 90 angle hit.....aka when the target passes directly in front of you at 0 degrees on the scope the torpedo will hit (hence a 0 gyro angle...meaning the torpedo never turns).

For the Parrallel method (which i've never tried)......Distance to target is critical as the gyro angle looks to "intercept" your bearing to the target. I'll have to try this now as I'm curious.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 07:50 PM   #8
finchOU
Samurai Navy

I'll also add that again...you need to play around with the TDC to figure it out. If you know you are on an exact parallel course to the target then you must turn your scope to 270 or 90 degrees (which ever direction you are shooting the target) first before you enter data into the TDC. Well ....you don't have to but this takes the math and guess work out of the equation.

Because the Torpedo has to go a certain distance from your Uboat before turning that 90 degrees....Distance to the target is pretty critical to get good accurate hits.
Old 05-04-17, 03:01 AM   #9
alien1234
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post

For the Parrallel method (which i've never tried)......Distance to target is critical as the gyro angle looks to "intercept" your bearing to the target. I'll have to try this now as I'm curious.
Yea I found too closer distance the torp always misses and too far the same thing, I found the best distance is between 500 to 800 mtrs from target.

Ive been doing a lot of reloading saves games to figure out the best firing solution, im usually not too far off hitting/not hitting the target, estimating the targets speed isnt too much of a problem as I can follow a target for a few mins, then drop back a little bit to allow the target to pass slightly in front of me, getting the range is pretty easy, anything more than 800mtrs certainly a much less of a chance to hit (depending on your own experience).

Il try your methods of setting up the AoB see if I get a better hit ratio
Old 05-04-17, 05:23 AM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
EmptyCups latest YouTube video number 13 he is hitting a target with 2 torpedoes between 4,000 and 5,000 metres away.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 09:03 AM   #11
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Guys
EmptyCups latest YouTube video number 13 he is hitting a target with 2 torpedoes between 4,000 and 5,000 metres away.
Peter
Barring the case of a daytime attack where visibility provides the target a chance to see a wet heater's bubble trail in time to turn, I routinely am hitting at those ranges using perpendicular and parallel attacks. I'm not even perfectly at zero or 90 degrees from the target's course. What i am doing is making sure I've got a good speed and AOB and a decent range. And I'm updating those several times as i work my way close to the target. I am waiting to get a 0 gyro angleb (perpendicular) and a 90 or 270 gyro angle (parallel).

I've found the single biggest factor to hitting or missing is getting an accurate speed. Get the speed right and your range/bearing will naturally lead to the target course and AOB determinations. That and plot every attack (at least until you get a sense of what various speeds, ranges, and AOBs look like).. The pause key is there to take the place of you not having a fire control tracking party.
Old 05-04-17, 11:36 AM   #12
alien1234
Mate

Been having a lot of success with your tips, done a load of save game reloading and trying different angles etc. I found the critical point is distance from a accurate hit to a miss, ranging at around 800 mtrs is the best distance for a fast shot, also setting up to either 90 deg port or sboard AoB, also Iv`e been running the speed at around 9kts for the convoy. I been getting 100% hits, I tried a greater distance of around 1000 1100 mtrs, the percentage is greatly reduced either a total miss or bow or stern hit.
I havent used any of the torp tracking on the map and no maths. just used the dials from the periscope. I have used the free camera to check the torp run lol.
Old 05-04-17, 12:15 PM   #13
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien1234 View Post
Been having a lot of success with your tips, done a load of save game reloading and trying different angles etc. I found the critical point is distance from a accurate hit to a miss, ranging at around 800 mtrs is the best distance for a fast shot, also setting up to either 90 deg port or sboard AoB, also Iv`e been running the speed at around 9kts for the convoy. I been getting 100% hits, I tried a greater distance of around 1000 1100 mtrs, the percentage is greatly reduced either a total miss or bow or stern hit.
I havent used any of the torp tracking on the map and no maths. just used the dials from the periscope. I have used the free camera to check the torp run lol.
It isn't distance being your problem. It is likely that you aren't using your scope to best effect since there are tables telling you for a given target speed and torp speed how much you need to lead them to get a decent hit. You should easily be getting hits well past 1000 meters. It might help if you post a video on youtube or screenshots.
Old 05-04-17, 01:33 PM   #14
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
It isn't distance being your problem. It is likely that you aren't using your scope to best effect since there are tables telling you for a given target speed and torp speed how much you need to lead them to get a decent hit. You should easily be getting hits well past 1000 meters. It might help if you post a video on youtube or screenshots.
Yeah something is definitely not being done correctly. If you input all the right data then it's literally point periscope and shoot at your target. Ships that are close allow for a lot of error and still get hits....if you are not hitting them beyond 1000 meters...then you definitely are making an error in either your calculations or your set up.
Old 05-05-17, 03:21 PM   #15
alien1234
Mate

yea, the target ship speed is estimated so a close range shot will have a higher hit ratio than a long distance shot. After hitting the first target any follow up shots will be harder as the other ships will scatter change speed, change course etc. As to my first post all the calculations I have done were estimated, (based on more than 1 ship in a convoy) as any follow up shots would be very hard if not impossible to properly calculate as by the time you have properly calculated the speed and distance the chances are the ship would have left the range of the calculation either in again changing speed and/or altering course making the calculation invalid. Setting up an estimated shot will give a better hit ratio at a close range. Dont forget while submerged the max speed will be alot slower than any surface contact, and will have a chance to out run you, a quick firing solution and full volley should make max damage with what you have available before having to make a long slow reload. (in other words in and out as quick as possible lol).

Im no way an expert on a full proper firing setup, I still don`t understand the mechanics around it, its only after the last few weeks I decided to try something different, which for me works though still needs a bit of polishing off lol.
I would love to add a video on what im doing but dont have anyway to do one nor have a camera sorry.