SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-10, 01:48 PM   #1
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
[WIP] New Radio stations: 5SC Glascow, PCPT Moscow, + more.

I've been assembling fairly large music collections of war and pre-war era music of different nationalities from around Europe. When finished hopefully the collections will make fine new stations to fill the airwaves, or great way to bolster existing stations.

Finished Stations:
5SC Glasgow — mostly traditional recordings from the 30's but
Paris — Additional music 20s-30s
RRG Berlin — music 20s-30s
American (non-jazz)

if anyone has stuff to contribute please let me know. please read on!

Ones I'm working on (If you have any:
PCPT Moscow: have some music, but I'm needing any news broadcasts, or basically anything that fits and is historically accurate.
Italian Music: I have a lot of old opera and a some popular opera-style tunes from that era. I'm looking for more stuff to throw in some variety.

Seeking (I know its a long shot, but you never know what people have)
Dutch Music
Swedish Music and Broadcasts
Norwegian Music

Last edited by Bramtyr; 03-27-10 at 02:18 PM.
Bramtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 01:52 PM   #2
Ringy
Sailor man

Downloads: 177

Sounds good, coming from Glasgow area myself I'll look forward to your mod.

Ringy.
Ringy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 02:53 PM   #3
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24

I do not have enough knowledge about the music transmitted to radio receivers in Norway during WW2, but I found some info:

On 9.April 1940 Norway was invaded by Germany and the media was allegedly put under control by pro German people (Nasjonal Samling). Them or the Germans, I don't know for sure.

I am reading that allied forces transmitted propaganda which led to the banning of the use of radio autumn 1941 (wikipedia) and the confiscation of half a million radios. Apparantly, only the people of NS Nasjonal Samling was allowed to own a radio. I don't know if it was also illegal to own a radio up to 1941.

Some people hid away their radios, covertly listening in on BBC transmitting from London.

NRK P1 = possibly the only national radio channel in Norway at that time.

Don't know what NRK P1 did after 1941, if they were twiddling thumbs or whatnot.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 02:56 PM   #4
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Heh, good point, Decoman- probably don't need to worry too much about Norwegian radio. They probably didn't broadcast too much— not much point if there's so few listening, at least from an advertiser's perspective. Still could have functioned as a Reich mouthpiece.

Last edited by Bramtyr; 03-28-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 04:35 PM   #5
Barth
Watch

Downloads: 49
Default sweden

i will look this up in the morning for you!
Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 04:07 AM   #6
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209

can you make an old ragtime/blues station for the USA? Maaan i loves me some bessie smith.

mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 05:14 AM   #7
Bramtyr
Sailor man

I am considering doing additional US stations - a New Orleans/Baton Rouge-based station with ragtime, blues, and zydeco would be sweet. I have a pretty decent library of that stuff. Consider it added to the shortlist, Mobucks!

Here's that catch- my pc is on the fritz and I don't have a copy of SH5 yet, and wont for at least another few weeks. So I'm not able to actually test the mods, and I'll need some outside help with a few things:

-I still need someone to confirm whether vbr (variable bit-rate) mp3s will play properly in the SH5 engine.

-All radio stations have an accompanying text file, which lists the map location & range of the station, preceeded by the air-dates
for example this is Ziem's Paris station mod:
"Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:44.16,-35.10:100000"

I'll need the locations for Glasgow, Amsterdam, Le Harve, Rome, Berlin, Moscow, oh and New Orleans
Old 03-29-10, 05:34 AM   #8
Barth
Watch

Downloads: 49
Default sweden

i did not find anny swedish radio from ww2 but i have music from that time if you whant it

//Barth
Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:08 AM   #9
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

Might I suggest including Radio Luxemburg? It's one of the earliest commercial stations in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Luxembourg_(English)

It would also open up some interesting possibilities. Until the German occupation it broadcast in French and in English. During the occupation it hosted the infamous Lord Haw Haw. And then after the Liberation it continued broadcasts in German to spread allied propaganda (Radio 1212)

Another interesting station was Kurzwellensender Atlantik, another allied station that was specifically intended for U-boat crews.
Old 03-29-10, 03:56 PM   #10
Able72
Captain

Downloads: 299

There is currently a 'Radio Paris' mod which should contain some MP3's that will give you an idea about what will work in SH5.

I'll be more than happy to volunteer to test your radio stations. Just upload your stuff and email/message me a download link. I'll let you know if/what works and what doesn't.
Old 03-29-10, 07:43 PM   #11
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281

This sounds fantastic. Can't wait for the release!
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 11:33 PM   #12
TempDude
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If you can, find broadcasts from "Radio Königsberg". It was a nazi station sending propaganda in Swedish directed towards Sweden (obviously) .

On the English side I found this website featuring MP3 with "Lord Haw Haw"

http://www.archive.org/details/LordH...lling17-23of23

Here below is a website featuring information on radio transmissions during the war with a few snippets:
http://www.hermanboel.eu/radiohistor...es-germany.htm

Good luck!
Old 03-30-10, 07:54 AM   #13
SwampyUK
Nub

Downloads: 504

@ Bramtyr

If you still need the lats n longs for the cities

Glasgow 55 51.9 N 4 15.4 W
Amsterdan 52 22.4 N 4 53.5 E
Le Harve 49 29.6 N 0 6.4 E
Rome 41 53.7 N 12 28.9 E
Berlin 52 31.4 N 13 28.9 E
Moscow 55 45.3 N 37 37.1 E
New Orleans 29 57.9 N 90 4.2 W

If you need anymore try this
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

Last edited by SwampyUK; 03-30-10 at 07:56 AM. Reason: lol bilge rat ........... well Iv been called worse
SwampyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 12:21 PM   #14
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Wow, guys! Awesome response, really!

SwampyUK— thanks for the lats!

TempDude— Yep I have those Lord Haw Haw files, they'll definitely be in the Berlin pack. That second link I haven't seen yet, I'll try and explore it tonight.

Able72— Yes I looked at the Radio Paris mod, I'll make a french mod that can either be its own Radio Bordeax station, or combined into the Radio Paris. Thanks for the test offer, I'll try and put something together in the next day or two, i'll message you.

EAF274 Johan—A Luxembourg station would be great. Though I'll need to table it till I have more files to work with. I'm sure having duplicates on a Berlin Station and a Lux one wouldn't be a problem as long as there aren't too many. I know you can have stations have a start and stop date, so it'd be neat to eventually make a station that clearly changes upon allied capture.

I've been in touch with the Dutch forums, a few members have been very helpful and pointed me in the right direction. I'll be starting to put together a Dutch station too. Whether its going to be an occupied station, or a British broadcast for Dutch citizens, i'm not sure yet.

Anyone have recommendations for a good hosting site? I know of rapidshare, but it kinda sucks.
Old 03-30-10, 06:31 PM   #15
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Mobucks- I forgot to reply to you, sorry! There are a few American station mods out there made for SH4, but I'm all down for making more. I'm about wrapped up with pulling together a 100-meg New Orleans station, with a mix of ragtime, blues, and cajun zydeco.

More jazz is definitely a plus though, I'll probably put a NY station together, and I'll be sure to throw in some Bessie Smith.

TempDude- That site was pretty informative, but had only frustratingly short clips. I wonder if they are sitting on a bigger archive, and have just yet to post them?

Tags
mod, music, radio, request help, scotish