SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-09, 06:21 AM   #1
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0
Default Hydrophone volume.

Ok guys, now before you say it, I know about the volume knob on the hydrophone station, it's not that volume I'm worried about. The thing is, when I go to manually listen to the hydrophone, despite the 'sim' volume being on full, I still need to turn up my actual volume to hear things off in the distance.

Now I have various mods installed like Thompsens sounds and a replacement ambient hydrophone sound and I can't remember much about the stock game's volume and whether it was louder or not and whether a mod has altered it. Suffice to say, I've tweaked and merged my mods so they all snuggle up to each other without any squabbling so I really don't want to be deactivating anything when it's all going so sweetly.

All I want to know is how do I manually edit the volume of the hydrophone in game so it is more akin to wearing headphones. I've noticed that the surrounding sounds tone down and get muffled when I'm at the station but the sound through the headphones doesn't get louder as it would if they were right next to my ears...

Help a deaf old sailor......

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 11:53 AM   #2
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

I am not sure this will help. I added a key to the command_en file (cmd146) to change the hydrophone volume. It appears that there are five levels of sound (at least in my setup and with my sound card). When I go to 25 meters or so to listen, I check the sound volume by listening to my electric engines and change the volume until I get the maximum sound and then I shut off the engines to sweep for contacts. I also use head phones to listen for contacts.
Old 11-22-09, 12:06 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Concerning that volume button on the Hydrophone station, I have never thought it did much if anything?

I too have to crank up my speaker volume in order to manually use the hydrophone.

What specifically does that volume button do. Is it a two position switch or can you keep hitting it for more volume. I have tried and don't seem to notice any difference.
Old 11-22-09, 12:38 PM   #4
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

The volume knob does seem to raise the volume a small (and I mean small...) amount when you click the upper half a few times but nowhere near enough. I'd like the hydraphone sound to be the same level as the normal ambience in the sub while retaining the muffled effect on that ambience. I just thought there might be a config file hiding somewhere where I could change a value to a higher number, but maybe it's not gonna be that simple.

I'll just have to use headphones with the volume cranked up I guess and risk perforated eardrums should my crew want to tell me something...

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 02:05 PM   #5
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

There is a reason to turn it down at times:
Search
Result

I'll see if I can locate the correct files for these settings and get back to you.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote