SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-13, 12:55 PM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Hi Sailor _X,

Yes, nhancer no longer. I also use Sh3 nvidia control pannel and the Nvidia Inspector.

My settings on nvidia inspector is below.

Some comments and tips:

1. The settings and tips continues almost the same that we have on the first post when using nhancer
2. If you dont have sun halo please report to your nvidia control pannel and *DISABLE* the gamma correction in your global and sh3 settings (and obviously on the nvidia Inspector too). Double check here!
3. I added a 4x sparse grid ssaa and the related negative texture lod that seems to add some better visuals (just allowed using nvidia inspector I think)
4. Anyway, seems that actually using only the Nvidia control pannel (with that basic tips: max 4xMSAA and no gamma correction) is enough to have a good/best nvidia image for sh3, no more necessary to use Nvidia Inspector or anything more then.

Old 07-04-22, 10:13 AM   #2
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I tried the link rubini to nhancer, it says no such site???
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 02:40 PM   #3
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I tried the link rubini to nhancer, it says no such site???

Here for Nvidia Inspector:

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaPro...s/tag/2.3.0.13

Then d/l my *.nip file and use NI to import it.

Nip file here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o7egd...r_III.nip/file

Good luck, any probs hoot!

Fube
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:13 PM   #4
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Funny, I thought everything looked great. I'll try the nhancer and check back.

Why in all our screenie postings do the nVidia cards consistently have better renderings than ATI cards. Time after time ATI owners say that even though they don't see the solar halo they like their images. I have never encountered an nVidia owner saying they have a problem with sun halo, and seldom with any of the other problems mentioned. Color me skeptic, but I'm checking anyway.
Back in the day when I "upgraded" my ATI 7800 PRO to a NVIDIA 6800, I noticed waves in the distance shimmered and were jaggy. I bet this is why... (the compatability mode).

Then when I bought my new rig with twin 8800GTs I still have the crappy wave shimmer/jaggies in the distance, as well as now with SH4 I have a HALO around my sub.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 03:47 AM   #5
Meridian
Frogman

Downloads: 625

Yeah, I have that luminus white halo at night and just can't get rid of it. Bloody annoying and looks terrible, almost looks as if the subs been lit up with a flare.

Tried the fix that was posted elsewhere in the forums but it didn't work.

AORUS Z390 Ultra, Intel Core i5 8600K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096mb, 64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4, Soundblaster Z.
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 07:06 AM   #6
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
Quote:

Why in all our screenie postings do the nVidia cards consistently have better renderings than ATI cards. Time after time ATI owners say that even though they don't see the solar halo they like their images. I have never encountered an nVidia owner saying they have a problem with sun halo, and seldom with any of the other problems mentioned. Color me skeptic, but I'm checking anyway.
Back in the day when I "upgraded" my ATI 7800 PRO to a NVIDIA 6800, I noticed waves in the distance shimmered and were jaggy. I bet this is why... (the compatability mode).

Then when I bought my new rig with twin 8800GTs I still have the crappy wave shimmer/jaggies in the distance, as well as now with SH4 I have a HALO around my sub.
Yes, this is what I have tried to say with this thread: the guys that already had an ATI card note the difference in image quality at the first moment that they start the game with a Nvidia card: jaggies and impossible to have the same quality than we had with ATI (even because if you try to use the same very good type of AA you will end in poor FPS or little bugs).
Old 02-18-08, 01:14 PM   #7
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
Quote:

Yes, this is what I have tried to say with this thread: the guys that already had an ATI card note the difference in image quality at the first moment that they start the game with a Nvidia card: jaggies and impossible to have the same quality than we had with ATI (even because if you try to use the same very good type of AA you will end in poor FPS or little bugs).
Actually it was a 9800Pro that I had...and Still have in an old system. Just for grins I loaded SH3 on it and even though that card is 3 yrs old, it STILL makes SH3 look 1,000% better that my 2 8800GTS'es in SLI....

Wish I would have thought of that before I built this system...but at the time I wasnt playing SH3 anymore

Needless to say my next PC will have ATI card(s).

So basically there is no cure for the distant "shimmering/jaggy water"? I tried the recommended optimizations here and it still looked poor. I even tried Supersampling (and did not notice a huge fps hit).... looked the same to me. Or is SSAA 4X4 and Supersampling with 4XAA different? EDIT: Ooops...reread your post rubini and forgot to set the EA strategy game mode ....need to try that next.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 01:12 PM   #8
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341
Default ATI vs nVidia

-If you have any comment or any other tip to enhance the SH3/4 experience when using nVidia hardware please share it with us!

Good Hunting!

Rubini.[/quote]

So... A few words, just a few
My graphic card is: ATI Radeon X1300 - 1550 Pro, 256MB, I heard, that is really bad card, but... I change nVidia (7300 LE - that`s really sh..e card!) and... what a surprise! SH 4... settings highest and patch 1.3, them 1.4 - great, lovely. I`m not sure FPS, but it looks really good, amazing and I really love taht game, for sunshine, sunrise, ocean... and, what more? Well, for ships and battle - of course, magnat for me and I can`t wait for U-boat Expansion pack - it will be great adventure.
So, I don`t know better nVidia, but, I heard about problems with that card, shaders and I think... ATI is bit better for that
I found this link after installation GWX2... Hum. SH4 is fantastic, SH3...:hmm: No comments. Good game, but...

Thanks
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 03:02 AM   #9
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 4

Quote:
(I also posted the same on SH3 general forum because i guess that this is really usefull)

Hi folks,

After some days in tests and with the help of our mates Periscope and mikaelanderlund, I finally finish my concise guide to enhance the image quality in SH3/4 using nHancer and Nvidia cards.
To finish - nHancer best settings for good image quality without any noticeable problem in SH3/4:[/B]
-in the main page at your right check Global, then in

- Enhancements page:
check MultiSampling 4x
check Super- Transparency AA
check AF 16x or 8x
check Vertical Sync Applicaion,

- Optimizations page:
check Texture filtering High Quality
check Tril. opt. Off
check Aniso sample opt. Off
check Neg LOd Bias Clamp
leave all the others settings unchanged

Good Hunting!

Rubini.

THANK YOU THANK YOU

You turned a slightly laggy game into a smooth simulated fighting machine!

Not sure what everyone else is grumbling about, but at least my game is a game again not just a beautiful postcard.

The convoy lights are dead ahead
The merchantmen lay in their bed
The thump of diesels hammers down
In the oily sea-the killing ground
His knuckles white his eyes alight
He slams the hatch on the deadly night
A cunning fox in the chickens lair
A hound of hell and the devil dont care

-Iron Maiden
bratwurstdimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 02:38 PM   #10
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
(I also posted the same on SH3 general forum because i guess that this is really usefull)

Hi folks,

After some days in tests and with the help of our mates Periscope and mikaelanderlund, I finally finish my concise guide to enhance the image quality in SH3/4 using nHancer and Nvidia cards.
To finish - nHancer best settings for good image quality without any noticeable problem in SH3/4:[/b]
-in the main page at your right check Global, then in

- Enhancements page:
check MultiSampling 4x
check Super- Transparency AA
check AF 16x or 8x
check Vertical Sync Applicaion,

- Optimizations page:
check Texture filtering High Quality
check Tril. opt. Off
check Aniso sample opt. Off
check Neg LOd Bias Clamp
leave all the others settings unchanged

Good Hunting!

Rubini.
What about your previously recommended selection of "20000000:EA Strategy Games" on the compatibility page?
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 02:44 PM   #11
Lead Slinger

Downloads: 74

DL8, I've been running what he suggested since the 1st post, including the EA2000000000000 setting and looks great, 8600gt.

1480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 03:44 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Run Rubini's settings

Only exception being the 7900 GS or any card that gives you the zebra effect in my previous post. Even there do not turn off the "20000000:EA Strategy Games" compatibility setting, just check the "enhance in-game AA setting" box like I did and all Rubini's improvements will work for you too.

You can ignore all the stuff about not exceeding 2x AA and all. Trust Rubini and you'll love the results.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 04:45 PM   #13
ATR-42
Commodore

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman
Hi fellow NV users , I run a 8800GTX and finally managed to get sun flare back while running FSAA x4 ....... DISABLE GAMMA CORRECTION under FSAA and ALSO
ENABLE MULTISAMPLE TRANSPERANCY ANTIALIASING in NV control panel settings .

good luck , and happy hunting

Toastman out .....
Ref post here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3407

Are there any advantages to Multisampling over Supersampling?

ATR-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:58 AM   #14
jahlmeen
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

Tja bracer, SH4 kan bara använda 2 kärnor (tror jag), kanske därför du inte märket någon skillnad
jahlmeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 10:54 PM   #15
lancerr
Loader

Downloads: 21
Default Thanks for all your help.

Was running my old stock dell drivers for my 7900 GS and was getting lots of lag with the Rubini settings.

Finally upgraded to the latest Forceware drivers and with the recommended settings and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Take a look. (still not sure why the water appears as bands but the sub is what I was concerned about)

I kept it at the 1680 res because resizing the pictures was introducing artifacts