SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-16, 10:57 AM   #1
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 0

Default Questions for the Experts

I've recently used the modified Submarine ".sim" file for the Type VIIB that was provided by "redline" and found some improvement in the behavior of the boat in LSH3...and some things that were not as good as before. I've compared those changes to the changes in GWX3 and found some interesting differences. So, I decided to try to "tweak" the ".sim" files. But first, I compared those to the values for other boats in SH3 and for both the U-Boats and US Fleet Boats in SH4 and found many significant differences; some of them are understandable, but most are a puzzle.

Before I go too far, I'd like to know if there are some knowledgeable people out there who understand and can explain what some of the values actually mean and how changing them changes the behavior of the boat.

My biggest "gripe" is the maneuverability of the boat, especially the submerged turn rate and depth-change rate..."sluggish" performance was not a Type VII U-boat feature. I'm not looking to create an arcade-game hot rod, just to improve the turning and depth control performance.

The "automatic" use of 40-degree rudder and the resultant speed decrease are no doubt a related problem. I'm guessing that they are all related to the "drag" values in the ".sim" file...but that's just a guess.

Any help and/or suggestions would be very welcome.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote