SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-10, 03:17 PM   #136
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

Was the hull colour of the XIV ever corrected? It should be a darker gray, if it was, then i will definitley take a look at this. thanks.
Old 10-30-14, 02:11 PM   #137
Geoffrey Marks
Swabbie

Location: "Heave away and haul me lads, heave away, haul away, we're bound for South Australia....."
Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default LIKE SHIPS IN THE NIGHT! - An Australian story

LIKE SHIPS IN THE NIGHT! - An Australian story

I like the Gernan uniforms in these shots.
Like all their regalia it has class ... of course it's easy for me to say this, I didn't have relatives fighting the Germans.
My Dad and his brothers were fighting the Japanese with the Australian army in the Pacific ... that was a handful enough as it was... although there were German raiders (heavily arrmed freighters, disguised as harmless merchant ships and flying neutral flags until an inquiring allied ship got into it's killing zone and "whamo" .... concealed heavy guns would suddenly be revealed when plated shields suddenly dropped ..... yep that's what happened to our best ship the "Sydney" when she got too close to the "Emden" and copped a murderous barrage in exactly those circumstances .... still the Australians fought gallantly enough to sink the Emden after starting the game a long way behind our German cousins...... however there were no Australian survivors and only a few Germans made it to the western Australian coast where they were rescued from the harsh environment of that unforgiving remote area by Australian country folk and their Aboriginal station hands ..... they were loathe to say anything because of what might happen to them ...... so the mystery of the disappearance of the "Sydney" grew and grew, until late into their lives some of the German servicemen broke their silence as often old warriors in their twilight years do...... and as a result, in the first decade of this century, a new revived search began off our enormous westen seaboard, with new information from the old "kameraden".
Finally there came a day when the Sydney was found and the site respectfully declared a war grave after the Coronial and military inquiry had concluded an investigation which included a deep sea descent by a team where for the first time were able to film the wreck and report the nature of the material carnage that savage battle at close quarters had wrought upon the torn plate armour of what had been a heavy cruiser of formidable bearing ... it was a sombre moment for all TRUE Australians and especially for the long suffering relatives of our fallen brothers.
Many of our people took to ships and sea going boats to make the journey to the site for the final memorial service, held by the Royal Australian Navy with full military honours and dutifully attended by representatives of all the governmets that make up our Commonwealth Federarion .... it wasn't meant to be big..... it just was!
It sure answered a lot of questions and allowed some people to finally weep and weep and then get on with living and life.
So even though I enjoy playing war games. I never lose the reality and sobering truth of the utter desperation and leathal intent that any war game actually represents!

Regards to all from "Marksie"
Geoffrey Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 03:03 PM   #138
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Geoffrey

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote