SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-17, 07:27 AM   #1
rick_bagby27
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Modding help

OK, it has been years since I have played SH4. I have reinstalled it and I am having some difficulties. I have JSGME and two mods that I like to use, do I run JSGME first then start the game, or do I launch the game first then window out and launch JSGME? I use to have a sub that was truly unrealistic but just awesome to use. 50 knots suface/25 knots submerged, rapid fire deck gun, it truly was nice. To keep some of the historical value, I did not monkey with the damage. I did increase the amount of ammo, but for the life of me I cannot remember how in the hell I did it. I know I tinkered with the basic.cfg file, zones.cfg file, but I cannot remember where the deckgun reloading time information is to change that. Can anyone offer some help?
Some of the cfg files I can read just fine in notepad and some appear in ASCII format. I am not sure how I can fix that or if there is a better program to open them with.

Last edited by rick_bagby27; 01-26-17 at 08:34 AM.
rick_bagby27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 09:45 AM   #2
pepe99a
Swabbie

Downloads: 139

Hi rick bagby27!

About the JSGME, remember a "Mod" are no more than modified files that replace the original files.

JSGME is simply a program that helps, making it much easier and more automatic to add new files, new mods (new textures, for example) or remove them (restoring previous files automatically) from what would be manually. So what you should do is:

1. Download JSGME.
  2. Install in SH4 folder (in my case the game is at D:\ Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific)
  3. JSGME generates a folder called MODS inside the main folder of the game (D: \***common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS in my case)
  4. Put the mods into the MODS folder
  5. Run the JSGME (the executable is also in D:\***common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific)
  6. Activate or deactivate the mods by clicking on the arrows
  7. Close JSGME and, finally, run the game.

As for the files you modified, I have no idea what they might be or where they are. However, a tip: always make a backup of the original file when you are going to modify it manually.

Finally, I have no problems opening .cfg files with the notepad. Maybe you're trying to open a .sim file? For that you need the S3D - Silent 3ditor.

Last edited by pepe99a; 01-26-17 at 09:58 AM.
pepe99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:12 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

rick_bagby27!After a ten year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:19 AM   #4
rick_bagby27
Watch

Pepe, thank you for the information. I was forgetting a very crucial step. It has been so long that I had done all but the last step. Closing JSGME. LOL.
Aktungbby, It feels good hearing the sound of pressure on the hulls and the impact of the torpedos. Thank you very much to the both of you and happy hunting in your career.
Old 01-26-17, 12:38 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

if you just want more ammo then check out my deck gun mods, they have different levels that increase damage caused by shells based on percentages more powerful then stock as well as increased reload times for firing more rapidly, like every 2 seconds instead of 5.

since these aren't realistic, I also greatly increased ammo stores so you don't run out of ammo.

check them out, I think you will like them, but if nothing else you can compare the changes I made to refresh your memory as to how to adjust things yourself
Old 01-26-17, 12:42 PM   #6
rick_bagby27
Watch

Thank you Webster, I will do that.