SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-06, 05:04 PM   #1
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default How do you get a sub to ground?

I am trying to create a rescue mission with a "downed" sub on the bottom that I will have to rescue with my deployable DSRV. The problem is I am not good with scripting or triggers. I can only get the "downed sub" to hover at a certain depth but not all the way down because the mission editor keeps saying "Object Too Deep".
Also, I set the depth to lets say "600" ft and the speed to "0", so why is the sub in the mission doing its own thing?
Old 05-09-06, 07:49 PM   #2
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Does anyone know?
Old 05-09-06, 09:00 PM   #3
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I can imagine a script setting its speed to 0 (though it should preferrably be so already) and its depth to somewhere below the bottom should do it.

If the script forcing it to 0 knots does so indefinitely, it may be unable to evade torpedoes too - or it might not. Make sure to test what it does with a hostile torpedo heading towards it. Presuming there may be torpedoes fired from hostile platforms, of course.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 09:44 PM   #4
Werewolf13
Torpedoman

Downloads: 62

Try using the damage systems options. Damage stuff that will make the sub unable to move. Haven't tried it myself but it should work otherwise the AI will do it's own thing and the AI in DW can be somewhat unpredictable sometimes.
Old 05-14-06, 12:31 AM   #5
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf13
Try using the damage systems options.
Player subs only - and for movement, the best you can do is set max speed to half of undamaged.

Old 05-14-06, 08:58 AM   #6
Werewolf13
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf13
Try using the damage systems options.
Player subs only - and for movement, the best you can do is set max speed to half of undamaged.
Well - that sucks...

So much potential in DW untapped by the designers...
Old 05-19-06, 07:15 AM   #7
Mcfester
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default Re: How do you get a sub to ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSerpent
I am trying to create a rescue mission with a "downed" sub on the bottom that I will have to rescue with my deployable DSRV. The problem is I am not good with scripting or triggers. I can only get the "downed sub" to hover at a certain depth but not all the way down because the mission editor keeps saying "Object Too Deep".
Also, I set the depth to lets say "600" ft and the speed to "0", so why is the sub in the mission doing its own thing?
Lets say depth is 600ft.
Set the subs tactic as transit, sub depth 550ft, slow speed of say 3kts, any faster and it might not slow down when bottoms and sustain damage, set the first waypoint 0kts 650ft, when sub reaches first waypoint it slows and bottoms, if it sustains damage play about with the depths so its not slamming down.

For a sub not to move use same tactic, transit, set speed 0kts and it stays at 0kts, or you could use transit to make it go somewhere, when it gets to the last waypoint it stops at 0kts.
Mcfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-06, 07:50 AM   #8
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSerpent
Lets say depth is 600ft.
Set the subs tactic as transit, sub depth 550ft, slow speed of say 3kts, any faster and it might not slow down when bottoms and sustain damage, set the first waypoint 0kts 650ft, when sub reaches first waypoint it slows and bottoms, if it sustains damage play about with the depths so its not slamming down.

For a sub not to move use same tactic, transit, set speed 0kts and it stays at 0kts, or you could use transit to make it go somewhere, when it gets to the last waypoint it stops at 0kts.

Just be aware that the sub will still move to avoid torpedos, etc.
Old 05-20-06, 10:28 AM   #9
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfester
Lets say depth is 600ft.
I've seen plenty of ai subs bottoming themselves, usually at flank speed. No damage. Instant stop.

Old 05-22-06, 08:50 PM   #10
OKO
Commander

I have a solution to ground a sub at mission start and to ensure he won't move up during the mission :

http://okof4.free.fr/fichiers/DW/edi...rounded_sub.mu

I used a dynamic location to do that =>

1) put the grounded sub in deeper water (20ft is enought) than where he will be at mission start
2) create a dynamic location where you want the grounded sub to be, and assign the grounded sub to this location
3) create a script => set depth of the grounded sub at 50ft under the dynamic location for 50000 seconds
4) use an automatic trigger to launch the script at mission start

If you don't call the script at mission start, and only use the dynamic location, the sub will start grounded, but will slowly move up during the mission.

If you proceed as described above, your grounded sub won't move a centimeter during all the mission time (I just tested it for 30 minutes in X16 ...)
Use transit WP to avoid the concerned sub to move if he detect the ennemy.

But I don't know what will happen if a torpedo is fired at him ...
I will try ...

anyway this is actually working as you want, concerning your scenario, where I suppose no torp will be fired at the damaged sub.

So this problem is solved ... but there is another bigger problem => the DSRV is awfully bugged, I couldn't managed to make it work properly on all my tests, so I gave up ...

So, unfortunatly, I can't see how you could make your scenario working with the DSRV ...

but the sub could ground and stay grounded !
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 09:28 AM   #11
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Oko-
I tried your technique and it seems to work great, up until there's an incoming torpedo. Then, the sub throws CMs and runs like any other sub.
-bill
Old 05-23-06, 04:55 PM   #12
OKO
Commander

This skipper is a damned coward and will be sacked as soon as he will come back to base !

I tried one more time to use the DSRV on this scenario, and one more time, again, the DSRV didn't move to the ohio ...
I'm afraid SubSerpent will have to give up with his rescue scenario
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote