SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-13, 08:20 PM   #2161
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

I'm actually happy about it. And while I do share in the hope that Obsidian will continue to be involved I can't deny that Bethesda, having resurrected the series, giving it mass appeal and momentum and bringing it into the modern 3-D environment, has probably been the best thing that has happened to Fallout since the adoption of the SPECIAL system.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 08:58 PM   #2162
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I'm actually happy about it. And while I do share in the hope that Obsidian will continue to be involved I can't deny that Bethesda, having resurrected the series, giving it mass appeal and momentum and bringing it into the modern 3-D environment, has probably been the best thing that has happened to Fallout since the adoption of the SPECIAL system.
You can't go wrong with Bethesda. They've done some outstanding work in the past ten years.
Old 02-17-13, 10:31 PM   #2163
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I did not say that I was displeased only that Obsidian did a better job with the story than FO3. I a massive amount of time in both FO3 and FONV about 362 in NV and FO3 is not Steam based so I have no idea but it has to be double that of NV simply because I have it so long.I have over 200 hours Skyrim as well I am not saying that Bethesda makes made games by any means.

I am a bit surprised by the fan boyish reaction I have received simply because of what I posted which never was meant to have an attacking tone to it.Well lesson learned do not say what you think in this thread.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 11:04 PM   #2164
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I am a bit surprised by the fan boyish reaction I have received simply because of what I posted which never was meant to have an attacking tone to it.Well lesson learned do not say what you think in this thread.
I try to not say what I think but sometimes it just slips out. I try and keep my most biased opinions off of an internet forum...I think it's just better to keep an open mind...

That doesn't keep me from thinking though.
Old 02-17-13, 11:21 PM   #2165
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I did not say that I was displeased only that Obsidian did a better job with the story than FO3. I a massive amount of time in both FO3 and FONV about 362 in NV and FO3 is not Steam based so I have no idea but it has to be double that of NV simply because I have it so long.I have over 200 hours Skyrim as well I am not saying that Bethesda makes made games by any means.

I think that you are misreading my post as defensive. All I was referring to was that there are communities (No Mutants Allowed, for example) that are dismayed by the news. They consider the style from the first two Fallouts as the 'true' Fallout. Others consider the series to have really hit it's stride with Fallout 3. As such, there is a schism in the Fallout community, and Bethesda's work in the later series is considered rather controversial.

Both have their merits. It is certainly true that the first two games were more 'Fallout'. It is also true that Bethesda games have a fair share of bugs. However, those same people tend to gloss over the bugs and glitches in the first two games, particularly Fallout 2. I agree that the original team wrote better stories. However, I also acknowledge that Bethesda makes, for the most part, better games. However one feels about it, it cannot be ignored that Fallout was all but dead after Black Isle went under, and that without Bethesda would have likely stayed that way.

That's all I was addressing. Perhaps I should have made it more clear that I was not referring to you. Allow me to correct that:

I am in no way referring to you or and view of your's whether implied or factual. My statements are in reference to the overall gaming community and do not in any way represent an appraisal or indictment of any views that you may or may not hold. The above content represented only an attempt to make neutral conversation corresponding to the topic at hand. Any and all perception of slight is purely coincidental and unintended.
Old 02-18-13, 10:30 PM   #2166
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Just wondering, but which do you guys prefer? The NMM or just using Steam Workshop? Currently I've been mix and matching both primarily relying on Steam, however I just went to update a few files from Nexus manually and I think I might've screwed something up so I'm considering either deleting all of my Nexus mods and using only Steam, or re-downloading and installing everything using NMM and BOSS (I think it's called that).

Just looking for some help with this as I've been a little wary about using the Nexus Mod Manager.
Old 02-18-13, 10:47 PM   #2167
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

I don't use Steam Workshop or NMM. I download all mods manually from Nexus, investigate the file structure (and look at what's included in any .bsa files if necessary), and then set them all up to work with JSGME. I use the Data Files thingy in the Steam launcher to set up the load order.

Reason: I know what JSGME does and how it does it, and I like to maintain full control over what goes into my game folder. I downloaded NMM at one point and had a look at it but took a pass, I know too many people who've had problems using it, things going haywire when they try to uninstall something and it doesn't do it properly.

Steam Workshop appears to allow for even less control over what goes into my game folder, so there's no way I'd use that either.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 11:47 PM   #2168
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I don't use Steam Workshop or NMM. I download all mods manually from Nexus, investigate the file structure (and look at what's included in any .bsa files if necessary), and then set them all up to work with JSGME. I use the Data Files thingy in the Steam launcher to set up the load order.

Reason: I know what JSGME does and how it does it, and I like to maintain full control over what goes into my game folder. I downloaded NMM at one point and had a look at it but took a pass, I know too many people who've had problems using it, things going haywire when they try to uninstall something and it doesn't do it properly.

Steam Workshop appears to allow for even less control over what goes into my game folder, so there's no way I'd use that either.
I don't use nearly as many mods as frau does, but I do exactly the same thing, and have done so for Oblivion, F3, New Vegas and now Skyrim. That system works extremely well for me. As always, remember to backup your vanilla files if an overwrite is required. Some of the heftier mods do that.
Old 02-19-13, 05:41 AM   #2169
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

My only problem is accidentally messing up the files. It's been a while since I've used JGSME and I always worry about updating files and misplacing things. I like how with Steam and NMM once there is an update it does it automatically.
Old 02-19-13, 07:08 AM   #2170
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
My only problem is accidentally messing up the files. It's been a while since I've used JGSME and I always worry about updating files and misplacing things. I like how with Steam and NMM once there is an update it does it automatically.
You can just do what I do when I break a game.

1. Get angry
2. Grumble and whine during the uninstall
3. Sit impatiently through the re-installation
4. Angrily install mods
5. MAYBE get to play again unless game is still broken.
6. If so, repeat 1-5.
Old 02-19-13, 07:28 AM   #2171
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

I never had any problems with Workshop. Not when installing, not when deinstalling, or temporarily deactivating a mod. All a breeze. The big advantage is that it automatically keeps your mods updated to the latest uploaded version. So far this never has given me any problems with unwanted overwritings or non-functional savegames. However, I always have a huge number of savegames in reserve, usually the last 3 months or so. If an update would kill some gamestatus I would like to preserve, I can always unsubscribe fromt he mod, and go back to an according savegame. But until today, I never had to.

Okay, I now said something positive about Steam. That doe snot mean that I have learned to tolerate Steam. The marketing model behind it I still hate. But I like the Workshop feature.
Old 02-19-13, 10:48 PM   #2172
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Anyone want to post a rundown list of essential must have mods?
Old 02-19-13, 11:37 PM   #2173
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Anyone want to post a rundown list of essential must have mods?
In no particular order:
  • Categorized Favorites Menu
  • some kind of sorting mod, that renames items so they are displayed in your inventory in a more logical manner (there are also mods that make the different sorting mods compatible with Categorized Favorites - if you use a sorting mod, you will probably need one)
  • SkyUI
  • Immersive HUD
  • No Quest Items (makes it possible to drop, store, trade, or sell most quest items; they will however have weight in your inventory instead of being weightless)
  • Dynamic Time Scale
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul
  • Lost Art Of The Blacksmith
  • Smithing Perks Overhaul
  • Same Walk and Run Speeds (matches NPC walk/run speeds to player walk/run speeds, so you are no longer always moving faster or slower than NPCs you are trying to keep pace with)
  • Skyrim Speeds (increases player walk speed to something that feels more natural, to me at least)
  • Run For Your Lives (makes most non-combat NPCs seek safety during dragon attacks - if you have Dawnguard, there is a similar mod for vampire attacks called When Vampires Attack)
  • Follower Trap Safety (keeps followers from triggering traps due to their stoopid, oblivious AI)
  • Phinix No Friendly Fire (can toggle damage from friendly fire off and on - both from hits you inflict and follower-on-follower hits)
  • Reduced Distance NPC Greetings (you must get closer to NPCs before random dialogue is triggered)
  • Smart Souls (souls will only fill gems of the appropriate size, not fill up larger ones if smaller ones are not available)
  • The Choice is Yours (prevents a long list of quests from being automatically added to your journal just because of random dialogue, overheard rumors, or other unavoidable encounters; also offers additional options for doing or refusing some quests that lack them in vanilla)
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma (allows you to resolve situation with the Blades by telling them you will not kill P.)
  • Thieves Guild Requirements (prevents Brynjolf from accosting you about joining the TG unless you have already established yourself as a thief character by, you know, actually making a habit of stealing and pickpocketing things)
  • Sell Stones of Barenziah (allows you to sell one of them to Ri'saad, which removes journal entry about getting them appraised - even if you pick up more of them later - unless you go to Ri'saad and buy it back)
  • Warzones
  • Expanded Skyrim Factions - Companions (establishes requirements that must be met - offensive/defensive skill levels, time passd in-game, # of radiant quests completed - before you can advance to each subsequent stage of the main faction questline)
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 11:54 PM   #2174
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Frau covered the heavy hitters, however I am going to include smaller gems that I find handy:

Essential Horses: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1248
--Your horse is probably the squishiest NPC in the game. He is also a master of the banzai charge and is very good at jumping in front of your enemy when you are in the middle of a power attack with your most powerful, best tempered and most heavily enchanted weapon. In his free time he enjoys strolling through the crossfire when you are shooting arrows or lobbing fireballs at someone. Here, you can pick which horses you want to be essential. There are also options for Shadowmere and Frost.

If you are an honorable warrior type (pfft....boy scouts):
Skyforge Steel Redone: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20623
--You prove yourself worthy to join the Companions. Kodlak welcomes you with open arms and then haughtily gives you permission to go to the mythical Skyforge and get a 'real weapon'. So up you go, and what are you handed? An elven-quality sword that looks exactly like the crappy steel sword that you just got laughed at for carrying. This mod makes the Skyforge weapons (1) look really cool and (2) feature improved stats so that your Harbinger hasn't sold his to Adrianne by level 20.

If you are the mage type:
Enchanting Freedom: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8065
--The College of Winderhold; the last bastion of true arcane learning in Skyrim. The best place for an aspiring wizard to study outside of Summerset Isle. So you get there, you practice, you grind up that enchanting skill so you can put some god-like enhancements on your gear. But then you find that you can't do things that your great grandpa told you he could do. Why in the hell can't you enchant your boots to improve your Conjuration? Why can't that circlet protect you from fire? You can now put any enchantment on any article of clothing, like you could in Morrowind and Oblivion. Why would Fourth Era mages suddenly be less potent than their Third Era counterparts?

If you are the dastardly sneaky-stabby type:
Mehrunes Razor Improved: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13232
--Mehrunes Razor is the most famous artifact of Mehrunes Dagon, the daedric prince of ambition and change. The Razor is the conduit of all of his hatred and destructive intent. It can kill instantly, and with a single hit; an artifact so powerful that the Dark Brotherhood nearly destroyed itself via in internal conflict over possesion of the dagger during the Second Era. So you run across Skyrim, gathering the shattered pieces of the blade. Lord Dagon himself assembles it anew, and grants it to you with the admonition that you sew death and discord with it. So you open your inventory to check the stats on your new ultimate instrument of death to find and instant kill percentage of...........1%?!? What the hell? It used to be 6% in Oblivion. Why is this ultimate killing tool suddenly less effective? This mod changes that. You can pick 5, 10, 15, 20, 50 or 100%. I go with 5% to keep it in line with previous titles. Oh, and it makes the blade all ebony-colored. Pretty swanky.

For blood-sucking types:
Better Vampires: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9717
--This is actually a big overhaul. The vampire lord form is very cool, but the rest of being a vampire is actually pretty 'meh'. The great thing about it is that you can customize it to your tastes. Don't like how you for some reason get stronger as you starve yourself? It lets you reverse that. Want to take damage in the sun? You can make that happen. Want to make it so healing spells, potions and food won't heal you (after all, you are not living)? You got it. Want to be able to feed on that stupid thug that tried to hold you up on the road? You can do it, just don't let the body get too cold. Want to travel the lands of Skyrim by turning yourself into an insubstantial cloud of mist like Dracula? Oh yeah, you can do that. You can mix and match all of that and more, or you can disable it all. Up to you, but your nightwalker experience will be much less lame.

For fans of Akiviri arms:
Insanitys Celtic Katana: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15389
--I agree that, on the surface, a celtic katana is a pretty stupid idea. I didn't know that the Irish used katanas. However, I usually use an Akiviri katana in Elder Scrolls games. I think they are more elegant weapons. There problem is that I can't stand the way they look. With the exception of Dragonbane, they don't even have a scabbard. Since I am the kind of guy that likes to forge, temper and enchant his own weapons, and I like weapons that look nice, this mod was perfect for me. The saya (scabbard) is absolutely gorgeous, and the blade is not overpowered. Perfect for a blade-trained renegade turned assassin.
Old 02-20-13, 02:27 AM   #2175
donna52522
Lady Mariner

Downloads: 225

Wow, I am glad to see an Elder Scrolls thread here, may I post in it and are screenshots welcome?