SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-12, 01:06 AM   #1381
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Skyrim killed my fan tonight!

I have a 5870, almost two years old getting there almost time for a new card, but I'm still running most things on max settings with little issue.

Anyways has anybody tore one of these apart? What a pain and the fan is the CHEAPEST fan I've ever seen on a card in my life. You literally have to pull the fan off the motor instead of being able to grease it thru the back like ever other fan every made in history.

Anyhow I greased the fan and got everything back together and grinding and screaming seems to have stopped for now.

Anybody else had their 5870 fan die? Did you manage to save it or should I expect to start upgrade shopping before the end of the week?

Also does Skyrim only run hot on ATI. or is it running hot for everybody else? I'm generally at around 80 when everything else runs at about 65 on my pc, from Witcher 2, crysis 2, I mean everything else, Skyrim just seems to run Hot...
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 01:13 AM   #1382
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Sorry to hear about your fan, that's a bummer. At least you got it working again for the time being. No experience with that card so I got nothin'.

In other news, I am officially an idiot. Turns out the reason my Favorites menu "disappeared" is that I was trying to pull it up without having ever marked anything as a Favorite. It didn't even occur to me! I guess I got so used to having so much stuff marked off that way that I forgot I would have to go in and do it all over again with a new character.

So, in conclusion, Me = Dumbass.

Also: I am indeed playing a Dunmer this go-round and I'm already sick of people saying "What do you need, little elf?" Especially in Whiterun where everybody was always so nice. I mean, they're still nice, but really. Will make it that much easier to clean out Bleak Falls Barrow and run straight off to Riften and join the Thieves Guild. Farengar Poopy-Fire can just wait on his dang Dragonstone until I'm ready to come back. Altho I expect the guards will say the same thing in Riften and everywhere else.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 01:21 AM   #1383
Drewcifer
Commodore

Your an elf, and Skyrim is Racist.. extremely so. Even more so your beloved Ulfric and his Stormcloaks... just wait and see.

Also.. that explains why q doesn't work for you anymore.. haha, duh. I bet when you figured that one out you were talking out loud to yourself.
Old 03-04-12, 01:54 AM   #1384
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Your an elf, and Skyrim is Racist.. extremely so. Even more so your beloved Ulfric and his Stormcloaks... just wait and see.
Oh yea, already been there and done that. The fact that it wasn't directed at me didn't really make it any less unpleasant. However I had reasons for picking the side I did, mostly to do with the fact that it was the Empire who wanted to have me summarily executed simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the Thalmor. And also because I wanted Hjerim ASAP and Ulfric is, let's face it, right in my wheelhouse. There's just no getting around the fact that for me personally, the Nord men in this game are extremely attractive... and the others? With rare exceptions, not so much. The only reason I married the Magigolo was to keep him on a short unpaid leash.

But my previous character lives on in my head, where the Magigolo met a sad and untimely death and I turned to Ulfric for comfort. One thing led to another and our secret marriage was announced just after the Moot decided he would be the next High King. Once wedded bliss softened him up a bit and his duties as King left more and more of the local business in my willing and capable hands, things in Windhelm changed. A lot. We started having Diversity Fairs and Meet Your Neighbor Weekends and I put Brunwulf Free-Winter in charge of improving conditions in the Snow Quarter - yeah, I changed the name back, cuz that's how I roll - and beginning the difficult but long overdue task of creating a fully integrated city. And given our new positions as High King and Queen, as Windhelm goes, so goes the nation.

We had some trouble with Galmar and a few others at first, but in the end Ulfric always ruled on my side because I'm soft and warm and smell like lavender and Galmar never showers and wears a stanky bear head for a hat. Also when I don't get my way I get all shouty and stuff.

Quote:
Also.. that explains why q doesn't work for you anymore.. haha, duh. I bet when you figured that one out you were talking out loud to yourself.
If by "talking" you mean "cursing up a blue streak," then... yeah.
Old 03-04-12, 06:07 AM   #1385
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Couldn't be stuff lvling an Orc so I typed in the code to change my main characters race instead and 'Grom Hellscream' is born. Everything is sweet using berserker mode is alot of fun

But then about 10min ago.... something weird happened Grom looses his head I can play as normal but just headless!

I think the culprit might be Tytanis ultimate mod, will have to check it out.

Edit: ah typing in tgm can trigger your character to loose his head permanently where even an old save wont fix it from what ive read. I use tgm as I couldn't be bother going right round this high cliff I was on so jumped off, but that was like 2 days ago when I used the code. Still it triggered the orc to go headless. I had to use 'player.SetRace Orc' then Showracemenu to get his head back.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 03-04-12 at 07:38 AM.
kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 08:38 AM   #1386
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Skyrim killed my fan tonight!

I have a 5870, almost two years old getting there almost time for a new card, but I'm still running most things on max settings with little issue.

Anyways has anybody tore one of these apart? What a pain and the fan is the CHEAPEST fan I've ever seen on a card in my life. You literally have to pull the fan off the motor instead of being able to grease it thru the back like ever other fan every made in history.

Anyhow I greased the fan and got everything back together and grinding and screaming seems to have stopped for now.

Anybody else had their 5870 fan die? Did you manage to save it or should I expect to start upgrade shopping before the end of the week?

Also does Skyrim only run hot on ATI. or is it running hot for everybody else? I'm generally at around 80 when everything else runs at about 65 on my pc, from Witcher 2, crysis 2, I mean everything else, Skyrim just seems to run Hot...
I think the 5870 has a bad fan design tbh, I have one and the way it's designed with the original fan...I really wouldn't have done that.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 08:50 AM   #1387
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I think the 5870 has a bad fan design tbh, I have one and the way it's designed with the original fan...I really wouldn't have done that.
It's not a problem of the 5870's design its their standard design of the 5870 the one that's encased in plastic and the fan in it doesn't cut it.
but Nvidia has the same designs so when it comes to both brands I would avoid their standard designs and go for the ones that have a custom fan on it like the ones from Gigabyte when it comes to Nvidia and Sapphire when it comes to ATI.

I've got a 5850 from Sapphire:

Not encased and with a proper fan.

HunterICX
Old 03-04-12, 11:21 AM   #1388
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Orc should be pro at any melee weapon, dual welding, 2hd, 1h & shield otherwise WTH was Bethsheda thinking.
Redguards also work pretty well for dual-welding. They've got the initial +10 bonus for one-handed weapons, with smaller +5 bonuses to smithing, archery, alteration, destruction and blocking. Their adrenaline rush-trait allows them to regenerate staming 10x faster for 60 seconds, though only once a day. Makes for fun gameplay where you can be a bit stealthy and take down a few guys from long range with the bow, then rush in an cut the rest in pieces with your dual swords.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 05:37 PM   #1389
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Okay so far, I really really REALLY hate the whole sneaky light armor oooh let's see how much magic we can use today thieves thing.

Can't save up any money to buy a house because I spend it all trying to level up smithing to qualify for Arcane Enchanting, without which the Thieves Guild armor provides less protection than my homemade leather set and is therefore a disadvantage 99% of the time. Yeah, it may be nice for cozy inside jobs where the chances of being dismembered and/or eaten are relatively slim, but for getting from place to place? Fuhgeddaboudit. I lost track of how many times I was killed by the troll between Ivarstead and Riften whose cornflakes I apparently peed in on my last jaunt through the area.

Protip from your Auntie Frau Kaleun: trolls are not impressed with improved lockpicking skills. Trufact!

And altho I am sticking with 1H weapons only, and am learning to block a lot better than last time, it doesn't do me any good against roving bands of mercenaries and scavengers.

I guess the point is that I should be sneaking around these terrors, but then I have to go off the road and SPIDERS!!!! Which have also been the cause of my death on more than one occasion.

I have armor and decent enough weapons for my level and I still can't go five minutes without dying in some horrible fashion. I know I bumped up the difficulty level a bit but COME ON. I don't know how anyone playing a full mage with no armor or (physical) weapons ever survives long enough to become OP.

If I survive this Thieves Guild thing it better pay off with some major dividends because right now the only good thing about it is all the eye candy hanging round their HQ. Rawr. Naturally, Brynjolf is not a marriage option. DAMN YOU BETHESDA!

*shakes fist, briefly, before being eaten by a randomly enountered bear*

Anyway I got as far in the Main Quest as killing the first dragon and making Thane of Whiterun, poor Lydia was a help on some travels after that but is dead now and I left her that way. Kinda starting to regret not reloading and getting her back, at least as protection on the road. Now I have to go all the way to Solitude to tough-talk some Orc, yeah, like *that's* a good idea at this point. Maybe I'll try to pick up some easier side jobs along the way for cash and XP.

Heaven forbid I meet any dragons along the way, if so... I am running in the other direction as fast as my little grey-blue Dunmer legs can take me.
Old 03-05-12, 05:48 PM   #1390
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Okay so far, I really really REALLY hate the whole sneaky light armor oooh let's see how much magic we can use today thieves thing.

Can't save up any money to buy a house because I spend it all trying to level up smithing to qualify for Arcane Enchanting, without which the Thieves Guild armor provides less protection than my homemade leather set and is therefore a disadvantage 99% of the time. Yeah, it may be nice for cozy inside jobs where the chances of being dismembered and/or eaten are relatively slim, but for getting from place to place? Fuhgeddaboudit. I lost track of how many times I was killed by the troll between Ivarstead and Riften whose cornflakes I apparently peed in on my last jaunt through the area.

Protip from your Auntie Frau Kaleun: trolls are not impressed with improved lockpicking skills. Trufact!

And altho I am sticking with 1H weapons only, and am learning to block a lot better than last time, it doesn't do me any good against roving bands of mercenaries and scavengers.

I guess the point is that I should be sneaking around these terrors, but then I have to go off the road and SPIDERS!!!! Which have also been the cause of my death on more than one occasion.

I have armor and decent enough weapons for my level and I still can't go five minutes without dying in some horrible fashion. I know I bumped up the difficulty level a bit but COME ON. I don't know how anyone playing a full mage with no armor or (physical) weapons ever survives long enough to become OP.

If I survive this Thieves Guild thing it better pay off with some major dividends because right now the only good thing about it is all the eye candy hanging round their HQ. Rawr. Naturally, Brynjolf is not a marriage option. DAMN YOU BETHESDA!

*shakes fist, briefly, before being eaten by a randomly enountered bear*

Anyway I got as far in the Main Quest as killing the first dragon and making Thane of Whiterun, poor Lydia was a help on some travels after that but is dead now and I left her that way. Kinda starting to regret not reloading and getting her back, at least as protection on the road. Now I have to go all the way to Solitude to tough-talk some Orc, yeah, like *that's* a good idea at this point. Maybe I'll try to pick up some easier side jobs along the way for cash and XP.

Heaven forbid I meet any dragons along the way, if so... I am running in the other direction as fast as my little grey-blue Dunmer legs can take me.
Well, yeah. If you want to be good at sneaking around, stealing, picking locks and selling what you stole, you go with the Thieves Guild. If you want to be good at sneaking around and killing things, the shrouded armor from the Dark Brotherhood is what you want. Also, if you are sneaking and casting spells without Illusion to 50, you're doing it wrong. Go archery for that. Level up that sneak skill and you will be a force to be reckoned with.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:20 PM   #1391
Drewcifer
Commodore

Shrouded Armor = Kill Stuff I agree.

Anyways my first character is this op mage you speak of as everyone might recall. Never used ANY armor and nothing more then a dagger EVER the entire playthru, and of course all my spells and various shouts duh.

Anyways the early key for you is the bow and sneaking and when that fails RUN LIKE HELL. You should be lighter and faster then everybody else and you should be able to elude the AI jumping over things, closing doors behind you, ANYTHING. I never once had trouble vanishing into the shadows again as my assassin character or running and avoiding everything with my mage.

Infact even at op status I still tend to dodge by habit with my mage. My feet are always moving and nobody can hit me therefore I don't need armor... because I never get hit. That and I only have 200 health so getting hit generally isn't good anyways.

Try and practice 'brawling' people. Work on moving and timing your attacks. IN a one on one brawl I can knock the AI out without taking any hits.. generally every so often some ass gets behind me at the bar or something and the AI gets a cheap shot
Old 03-05-12, 06:51 PM   #1392
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Well, yeah. If you want to be good at sneaking around, stealing, picking locks and selling what you stole, you go with the Thieves Guild. If you want to be good at sneaking around and killing things, the shrouded armor from the Dark Brotherhood is what you want. Also, if you are sneaking and casting spells without Illusion to 50, you're doing it wrong. Go archery for that. Level up that sneak skill and you will be a force to be reckoned with.
Quote:
Anyways the early key for you is the bow and sneaking and when that fails RUN LIKE HELL. You should be lighter and faster then everybody else and you should be able to elude the AI jumping over things, closing doors behind you, ANYTHING. I never once had trouble vanishing into the shadows again as my assassin character or running and avoiding everything with my mage.
Yeah, I am trying to use the bow as much as possible but it's a little hard when 2-3 hostiles descend on you at once and there's nowhere to go without getting half a dozen arrows in your back before you get there. I know the point is to avoid getting into situations like that, I guess by playing a character who went more melee at the start I am used to being able to fight my way out of stuff better. I don't much care for the "running away" thing and my SOP in a close fight was to stand my ground and swing away but in leather armor that doesn't work so good, lol.

I did finally manage to get through Goldenglow estate altho I think I killed everyone inside the house eventually. Used sneak and an invisibility potion to get across to the hives but of course as soon as one went up in flames they were on to me. I was able to get my quota of three before they caught up and then I just jumped over into the lake and swam like hell.

Maybe I should've gone for the DB first, since killing things has never been a problem.

Really the only thing I'm using magic for at this point is to cast the Oakflesh spell (only one I've got so far) to help with armor rating in a fight, and the staff to get a familiar for some assistance. And I've used Flames or Sparks for a lone wolf here and there but that's about it. I have the Ancestor's Wrath fire cloak thing which is nice for low level draugr, especially with no follower around to get singed, but that only works once a day.

Oh, and Healing. Lots and LOTS of Healing.
Old 03-05-12, 06:57 PM   #1393
Drewcifer
Commodore

You have to unlearn your melee character skills.

You can't charge in and you REALLY can't stand your ground in a fight.

Your armor rating doesn't matter forget oakflesh. Your naked it doesn't matter you shouldn't be getting hit at all, ever, and if your in that situation get out of it.

Your character should be carefully observing her targets before each encounter and carefully picking an unfair fight. Infact EVERY fight she gets into should be on HER terms and heavily in her favor. The vast majority of enemies shouldn't even see her or know how they died.

That said things do get messy and again in those few times RUN and perhaps use the shadow stone for invisiblity once a day.
Old 03-05-12, 07:06 PM   #1394
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Well I wanted more of a challenge, this is definitely it.

I think I got so good at Sneak with my last character that I've forgotten the fact that it 1) took a long time and 2) mostly served as a way to take out the first round of opponents or even up the odds in an imminent boss fight with multiple opponents... and that was in conjunction with archery for the most part. But when push came to shove, I stood and fought melee style when and if I had to and eventually I usually had to. I almost always had non-summoned help as well.

Plus the Muffle enchantment. Gods, I miss my Muffle enchantment. I need to be on the lookout for something with that on it, IIRC it's a non-variable enchantment that doesn't depend on a high level soul gem or perks for maximum effectiveness. It would be a godsend to have it back.
Old 03-05-12, 07:47 PM   #1395
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

OMG OMG OMG I just had a thought... you know what this game needs?

It needs a way to lure a bunch of Thalmor into some Dwarven ruin, and then lock them in a chamber with about three times as many boss-level Falmer. Preferably one with another chamber that overlooks it with some funky Dwemer two-way mirror that I can watch through.