SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-05, 06:45 AM   #1
soundken
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoke? can we get some

ive been reading Red Storm Risiong and it seems smoke is a big thing when you have MAD contacts at preasent there is no smoke gernade in the game, some of this has touched on before and met with a resounding no

im starting to do most of my own flying in the helo and having this marker would not only be realistic but also add a lot to the visuals plus gameplay when using hud only view or when your hands are busy flying

unfortunatly i like the programing skills to really dive into this but have a copy of VC++ if someone wants to lead me down the right path or team up that would be great

ideas i have as work arounds:

could a sonarbouy be modded to have some sorta smoke billowing from it a new class perhaps or mabey dicass shallow

somehow adding a full on smoke gernade to the helo and orion

thanks ken
soundken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 12:03 PM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

First of all, there would be the question why you actually need a Smoke. IMHO if you are most of the time at the controls of the Helo yourself you are doing something wrong and that would be the only reason to have them. Otherwise the Navmap provides you with a (automatic) MAD marker, which can be promoted to other plattforms as well.

And the hacking of DLL's or the EXE is a big NO NO, which in return would be the only reason to use VC++ (or whatever). For doctrines and the like you just need Notepad (or a Texteditor of your choice).

The last part, like modding buoys and stuff would (IMHO) involve hacking of DLLs or the like and hence be a big no. Maybe not, I'm not sure whats possible with the DB, which however would lead to the question why I would sacrifice even one of the buoys on the Helo or P3 for something I don't need and which would only be a visual "highlight" for myself.

Don't get me wrong, from a realism point your question is valid. Those smoke markers exist in real life and are needed there for sure, but gameplay wise its not needed, because SCS has compensated with other features and functions for the lack of them, and actually improved it (you can easily promote it to others).

Cheers
OS
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 11:56 AM   #3
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Currently, even with LWAMI unless my memory fails me again, the DIFAR shallow has no purpose in life as the DICASS shallow is the same depth and has the same plus some additional capabilities. Meaning the difar shallow could be dropped for that. However, on its own it's not visible and there is no way to have the smoke effect added to it. The workaround would then be a "smoke 3d model" to use for the DIF-S - though that would require both a graphics update and a database update. Animation may not be very smooth either.

Or you could use the mines (for the orion) for this by changing their models.

That doesn't touch any DLLs or interfaces. Not that I see how changing those would help all that much either way.

I'd like to a good python interface in place though - both mission-wide (by the mission creator) and global (as in doctrines)
That would easily allow things like this.

Though I actually agree with oneshot on the matter of why it is needed, when I hear such questions I can't help having my mind turned to how it would be implemented.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 01:14 PM   #4
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Currently, even with LWAMI unless my memory fails me again, the DIFAR shallow has no purpose in life as the DICASS shallow is the same depth and has the same plus some additional capabilities.
The passive sensor of the DIFAR is more sensitive by the DICASS to a degree that both are really necessary.

So we really don't have a buoy to sacrifice, and I'm not sure how one would get a smoking buoy anyway. :hmm:
Old 12-20-05, 06:14 PM   #5
soundken
Watch

Downloads: 0

of course this is pretty much an eye candy issue, and being a helo pilot cant realy afford to lose any of the precious bouys i have however in my reading i couldnt help but visualize it mad once drop a smoke, mad again drop another, have my buddy os on the p3 line em up Fly through the first smoke drop a torp

visualy that would be killer

back to solutions.

the bouy option , i chose the dicass s (because this is the bouy i use when in close) but then there's a prob i tend to drop a bunch of these around a target area and it would be confusing if all of em smoked , perhaps some sort of switch, but now were getting away from the realistic, also hard to figure out is if the bouy "exists" in pilot "real/truth" view or is it a null object.......any sub guys ever herd a bouy bounce off your hull ?

adding the gernade as a new object, this treds into the "forbiden code" area a little but not much and from what i gather scs major concern is regarding new platforms. its there code its there rules, i honestly dont know how they would feel about this

dont want to turn this into a big issue was just reading and went wow that would be cool if we could do it in DW
soundken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 09:16 PM   #6
Lane
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 36

Smoke
I saw a burning ship smoking on Horizion in Bills RSR single mission
Calm before the storm. The fishing boat was on fire.
Lane
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote