SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-05, 10:38 AM   #16
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

LW,

When you tested mine, that was after I manually deleted the doctrine.lwami and database.lwami folders, then reinstalled the mod. I was not able to get the mod working properly by using the .bat files to install the mod over 2.01.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 01:03 PM   #17
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Maybe something indeed happens while files are copied. Like read-only files, or something I didn't anticipated. You could have just check it. Before installing mod, remember/write somwhere filesizes and more impoortant dates of all database files. Apply install or uninstall and check what happened in the folder. Are all files with new date ? Or maybe some are unchanged ? And so on. I would ask you to try find the reason yourself if you can, sometimes when error is reported I look and at once understand what gone wrong, what was wrong. But sometimes I can't -everything seems to be absolutely all right and this may be computer specyfic thing (or at least - NOT specyfic for MY coputer). It's hard to tell on a distance what's happening on other's computer

So if you can, try to find the source of problems yourself. Look into bat files, you see what they should do. Run them and check if they have done what they should. Are files really overwritten ?
Personally if I report a bug to SCS, I try to find it's source/reason if I can, and if I can even find possible solution.
About files that are left from the mod and not overwritten. Well we'll add delete command I think and then everything would be clear. The remaining mod files were not deleted, because they don't interfere with anything, they really should not hurt agt all. And second - while testing we have in database/doctrine folders many different non-game files like DWEdit, doctrine checker, and also many versions of different doctrines and backup files. So I prefered that only files that matters were overwritten. But OK, if you suspect that this may be source of problems, I'll ad delete to the bats. But please, if you can, try to determine yourself what's happening, are files really overwritten as they should ect.
Also if you experience incompatibility problems after manual installing 2.02 mod, try to rever to 2.01 and check if then everything is OK ? If yes, then we'll search for error in 2.02. Bats were not changed. Also, there is no need to reinstall the game, if you have originall database and doctrine folders stored. The mod is confined to database and doctrine folders only, no other changes.

P.S. Yep, returning to 2.01 to see if all goes smoothly there is good idea. If problems with 2.02 are so serious you can't play, return to 2.01 please and give us day or two, we'll try to determine source of problems with 2.02.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 12:28 PM   #18
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Kapitain,

I have absolutely no idea why that happened in our test game. And Bellman and I have tried repeatedly to reproduce it.

What happened, in a nutshell, is that your Kilo, when you tried to launch a Starfish, launched an Udaloy DDG instead!!!

That, combined with the fact that you are still getting DB errors when the rest of us are not, tells me that something is getting corrupted for you in the process of downloading and unzipping the mod, or there is something that is wrong with your TCP/IP protocol.

Since the database directly can't influence the weapons loadout for playable platforms (and this is well known fact, that even if I set the launchers in the database to launch an Udaloy somehow, the game would ignore that for playable platforms), I am left to assume that there is some randomized corruption on your system. I am sorry, but that is the only conclusion I can draw. Since, in game-mechanics terms, your computer passed to mine a junk memory-block instruction that called up on my computer the Udaloy to spawn from your tubes, rather than a Starfish, so it has to be a junk memory instruction from your computer.

Bellman and I tried again and again to get this to happen, and the every test we did, including tests for other things than that, came up just fine, and we didn't have any database errors.

I would recommend trying to use another unzip program, and to check your computer for viruses and spyware. I'm not saying there is anything necessarily "wrong" with your computer, but it is not playing well with the rest of us, for some reason.

I hope we can get this resolved somehow.

If you have had no problems with the stock DW game, then I am inclined to believe it is a problem in your retrieving the mod from the internet and unzipping it to your DW directory. So, I guess, I'd try another unzipping program first.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with this, but I'm really sure it is not the Mod, because, as I said, there is nothing other than random corruption that could cause a problem like that.