SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-12, 04:38 AM   #16
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Well at first I didn't had any beeps at all untill I swapped the ram into the other slots on my board...then it started to give me this long bleep followed by 3 short ones.

my asus has AMI bios
and 1 long and 3 shorts ones is according to AMI Conventional/Extended memory failure.

to solve it reseat, relocate or swap with different Ram to solve it and that's how I fixed my issue.

HunterICX
Old 06-23-12, 04:40 AM   #17
kranz
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

wrong forum
()
kranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 04:41 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
In the 10 years Ive spent assembling or dissasembling PCs both at work and at home, Ive yet to kill a working component with a static shock. If your really worried buy a wrist strap.
Well, every couple of minutes I take a grip on the heater attached to the wall.

My nervousness from RAM bars comes from bad exoerience. In older systems I happened to touch the little memory compnents on them accidentally with a fingertip on two occasions in past years. In both cases, that was it and ended with replacing the memory bar with a new one. I hate RAM bars.

when I was y small school boy, I could not wear watches, mechn aical robust watches. They stopped working. Non-working watches by ma grandfather or my parents occasionally started to work when I touched them. And this to a reasonable, logical coldblooded Vernunftsmenschen like me - that is not fair!
Old 06-23-12, 04:42 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Well at first I didn't had any beeps at all untill I swapped the ram into the other slots on my board...then it started to give me this long bleep followed by 3 short ones.

my asus has AMI bios
and 1 long and 3 shorts ones is according to AMI Conventional/Extended memory failure.

to solve it reseat, relocate or swap with different Ram to solve it and that's how I fixed my issue.

HunterICX
Beep codes vary with BIOS companies.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
Old 06-23-12, 04:46 AM   #20
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Beep codes vary with BIOS companies.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
I'm aware of that...but as said I fixed it by messing with my ram sticks.
So in my case it was my memory.

HunterICX
Old 06-23-12, 04:49 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
I'm aware of that...but as said I fixed it by messing with my ram sticks.
In a way I did that too, but by that MemCheck button, not by unplugging. I just have re-read the board manual, it seems it not only runs a diagnosis, but also starts the RAM bars with default parameters again.
Old 06-23-12, 04:58 AM   #22
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Its a issue that may be caused by changes in temperatures which cause expansion or contraction of components sometimes it can be due to microcracks in the soldering...again due to heat or defective manufacturing.
You should have no problem touching memory(carefully) if you put your hands on PS case to discharge your body....but again do it carefully.

..........you know ...its all made in china....use hammer next time

Last edited by MH; 06-23-12 at 05:17 AM.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:01 PM   #23
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

for static electricity you just touch the bare metal case before touching any circuit boards is all you need to do.

skybird you should take out the memmory sticks and the video card and wipe the contacts with alcohol and blow out the sockets with canned air before reinstaling them. dust gets into all sorts of places you wouldnt think and it could just be the contacts got dirty or oxidized and need cleaning to make a good connection again.

there is also the possibilty you power supply is going bad and you temporarily lost power to the video card so if it happens again test the voltage to the card before going buy one.
Old 07-24-12, 11:29 PM   #24
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post

A good practice is -once a year take you PC outdoors (when its not raining ) remove the side panel and hose down the guts with can of compressed air, remove the cpu fan and blast the heat sink and fan clean too, also wipe off any thermal compound and reapply some fresh.
Its worth removing the graphics card so you better clean out the fan on that also,

A compressed air duster is about 5 euros or so and it should last for ages if your only using it on one machine.
Thats exactly what i do once a year, plus i have couple of software that cleans windows up and i run that once every couple of weeks. Tuneup Utilities 2012 or the free version of IOBit cleaner are good programs and also Nortons 360 premier edition i run also has cleaning tools. Yea i know its norton but norton's isn't bad works well and doesn't slow down the pc like the old norton days.

I won a copy of Bit defender total protection 2012 in a comp that was going at a tech website in NZ here recently so i decided to try it out, uninstalled nortons and installed BD. What a system hogging piece of junk, Computer took ages to load up each time and FF wouldn't load up unless i disable bit defender? So i went back to norton.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote