SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-08, 12:35 AM   #871
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Just tried the latest version for the first time (I'm having a play with BBW's career addition).

Wow! It is so much more advanced than when I last played it (v0.2 or something). Absolutely brilliant.

BTW, works well with SH3Cmdr R3.0/1. Only a few setting changes recommended:
- turn OFF simulate a realistic career length (could be a very short career otherwise, as it's possible to do six patrols in a month or two)
- turn OFF historic U-boat availability (well, atm there is only one boat type, LOL)
- turn ON set days in base and set to 5 or so (not necessary, but I doubt S-boats were docked for the same period of time as U-boats were, players can also modify SH3 options.cfg if they still want some form of randomisation)
- turn OFF model effects (this makes no difference, but just for certainty, at least until someone adds S-boat specific malfunctions)
- turn OFF randomise crush depth (for compatibility)

The rest should be safe to set at whatever the player wants.

Other considerations:
- must be using SH3Cmdr R3.0 or greater
- Menu variable_**.txt will need changing, likewise SH3Cmdr_**.txt (these files just need text changes, not much work at all)
- Might want to replace the U-boat Badge image in the SH3Cmdr Personnel Files folder with the S-boat Badge. This will ensure that Personnel Files show the correct badge image. The SH3Cmdr Crew Manager interface will still show the U-boat Badge and will still follow its award conditions, but that will not be a problem after SH3Cmdr_**.txt is updated (suggestion #1 and #7). Likewise the U-Boat Front Clasp with the Naval Combat Clasp (which should very rarely, if ever, be awarded considering the conditions). I guess I could fix the conditions aspect by moving the hardcoded dates to a data file that was user editable.

Oh, love the engine sound too.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 01:01 AM   #872
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Aye they be them
Trouble is I am crap at graphics and wouldnt have a clue HOW to go about making an emblem

Having Tarjack in the next office - world wide webly speaking - means I have never had to
:rotfl:
I'll take a look and see what I can do.

EDIT: Here is a first try. Just a simple clean up job without resizing the originals. Should be able to do better with more time but haven't got a lot of that at the moment. http://files.filefront.com/S+Boot+Em.../fileinfo.html

Sorry but it's not JSGME ready so should really be packed with the mod rather than as a standalone DL unless you are experienced with where these files go.

BTW if anyone has some better shots of the individual boat emblems from the 3rd Flotilla I'll have a crack at cleaning them up as well.

Last edited by TarJak; 04-26-08 at 02:26 AM.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 07:25 AM   #873
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Thanx TJ
Yes was a quick job

RL got you nailed eh
Take it easy mate

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 08:14 AM   #874
JScones
Navy Seal

So does anyone know what the average patrol length was in one of these things? I started a new career today and am averaging around 2-3 days, which I think is too long, but I'll be darned if I'm gonna do a patrol every day, LOL.

My patrol log so far:

Interesting that I got the German Cross so easily, and without anything else, but that's SH3 for you.

Not finding much (I'm now at Gotenhafen), but having fun anyway, especially with OLCE2 and Lifeboat mods installed.

Ah, it's great to finally start playing SH3.
Old 04-26-08, 08:20 AM   #875
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Patrol length was usually nightly from what I gather
Esp in the Kanal

Elsewhere you may have had normal patrol duties but certainly not 2 days lol
Imagine trying to sleep on one of those things
Not enough crew for that

Gonna be a long war

Old 04-26-08, 08:26 AM   #876
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Patrol length was usually nightly from what I gather
Esp in the Kanal

Elsewhere you may have had normal patrol duties but certainly not 2 days lol
Imagine trying to sleep on one of those things
Not enough crew for that

Gonna be a long war
I can see some long periods spent in base on R&R, LOL.

Fortunately though, a patrol only takes 30 or so mins, so it's a nice quick way to have some fun. Also, with patrols being so short you don't need to exit SH3 after every one, even when using SH3Cmdr, so you can go out again straight away.

Though it might be a different story when I'm moved to France where the action is... :hmm:
Old 04-26-08, 08:44 AM   #877
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Hi Jaesen, that must feel good eh ? For the time in base, I've read that the s-boote were extra sensitive to the weather, sometimes they could be stuck in port for months if the sea state didn't allow them to sail. I guess you could randomize it between 2 and 60 days :hmm:
Woohoo! I think a heavy weather front is just about to roll in...

Quote:
After that I'll uninstall SH3 :rotfl:
Not until this is finished.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

j/k

BTW, I'll send through the extra SH3Cmdr files when I'm done updating them. They'll need translations though, but it's only minor stuff changed.
Old 04-26-08, 10:31 AM   #878
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Are you guys sure Commander is compatible with this?

I tried using it earlier today and my install is now officially fecked and needs to go back in, and I followed the instructions in this thread.

One thing though... I noted when starting a new career through commander, it wouldn't let you start in August.

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 10:46 AM   #879
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Did you follow instructions as per my release thread

- turn OFF simulate a realistic career length
- turn OFF historic U-boat availability
- turn ON set days in base and set to 5 <or some other small number>
- turn OFF model effects
- turn OFF randomise crush depth
- don't use SH3Cmdr's realistic crew option when starting new careers

Also make sure you have version 5
And August starts are out
What are you gonna do for a month in an S boot
Hardly sail the world

Old 04-26-08, 10:52 AM   #880
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Yeah did all that.:hmm:

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 11:23 AM   #881
schuhart
Watch

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Mikhayl:
Hi Jaesen, that must feel good eh ? For the time in base, I've read that the s-boote were extra sensitive to the weather, sometimes they could be stuck in port for months if the sea state didn't allow them to sail. I guess you could randomize it between 2 and 60 days :hmm:
What would be really nice, would to have two features:
1. Randomising as described by Mikhayl above, to simulate weather operating limits.
2. A feature to be 'called out' at certain dates of your own choosing. Lets say you are stationed in the Med and want to take part in Operation Pedestal, if you randomize and get 60 days from 1. august, then Pedestal would unfortunately be history for you
Another possibility would ofcourse be to change the max days to randomize to fit the timeslot.
I dont know if this is doable though, Jaesen...

- Schuhart
schuhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 08:34 PM   #882
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Are you guys sure Commander is compatible with this?

I tried using it earlier today and my install is now officially fecked and needs to go back in, and I followed the instructions in this thread.
:hmm: I'd like to think that my above screenshot of a Personnel File created in SH3Cmdr was evidence of compatibility.

All 8 patrols listed were started via SH3Cmdr.

Assuming that you made a dedicated copy of SH3Cmdr for your S-boot install, did you repoint it to your S-boot SH3 install?
Old 04-26-08, 08:38 PM   #883
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuhart
Quote:
Mikhayl:
What would be really nice, would to have two features:
1. Randomising as described by Mikhayl above, to simulate weather operating limits.
2. A feature to be 'called out' at certain dates of your own choosing. Lets say you are stationed in the Med and want to take part in Operation Pedestal, if you randomize and get 60 days from 1. august, then Pedestal would unfortunately be history for you
Another possibility would ofcourse be to change the max days to randomize to fit the timeslot.
I dont know if this is doable though, Jaesen...
Both are already features of SH3Cmdr; have been since R2.0 (Sep 2005).
Old 04-26-08, 09:00 PM   #884
gord96
Commodore

Downloads: 57

SH3 Commander works for my S-Boot career. What a great mod for some quick, fun action!

Have you guys tried with realistic vulnerability? Does it make much of a difference with the S-Boot??

Also anyone here try the Med yet? Might head there next. So far the channel has been ALOT of fun.
gord96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 09:05 PM   #885
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Is there anyway to have these files in TGA or DAT format, I'm really struggling with the XCF format.

I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote