SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-09, 02:38 AM   #1
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4
[REL] Easy AOB

Ok... this mod, when the position keeper auto is off and you move the aob dial, the other aob dial in the PK will be moved too.
For those who doesnt know, when you click the clock icon to get speed, it gives you the course too. You can match the aob in the PK with the course of the target.

So, to get a very accurate solution:

1 Send range / bearing.
2 Wait a moment, and Send range / bearing again. This way the crew can plot the target course, and calculate the speed.
3 Click on the stopwatch to get speed and course, Send.
4 Move the aob dial to match the target course and Send (see picture and video).
5 Send range and bearing again and turn on the Position Keeper.
6 Fire.
If you're going to attack another ship (convoy attack):
1 Turn off the PK
2 Lock the ship, adjust AOB to the known course and Send.
3 Get range / bearing and send.
4 .....fire.

JSGME compatible version. The file contains the mod for stock, TMO and RFB.

For discussion on the inner workings of this mod please refer to the original idea and post by Nicolas. Once again thank you Nicolas for the work on finding these fixes.
Original thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

THE README FILE LOCATED IN THE RAR:

TGT DIALS TO PK FIX Readme (TGT = TARGET, 07/05/2009)

Original idea and Easy AOB mod by Nicolas. Mod compilation, range and speed dial mods by DepthDragon. Credit also goes to Munchausen and Ottos for the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix.

TGT "RANGE" DIAL FIX for RFB, TMO and 1.5 versions of this mod contain the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen, original work byOttos.

This was required to have the dials drag accordingly with the range output on the PK. GFO already contains this fix so it was not added to those versions of this mod.

WHAT THESE MODS DO:

These mods will add functionality to the position keepers (PK) AOB, RANGE and SPEED dial. You can now drag the AOB, RANGE or SPEED dial on the TGT DIAL and, the AOB, RANGE and TORP GYRO angle associated with the your targets will move accordingly.

This will give you greater accuracy on the data you input.
Using the AOB fix you determine the targets course and enter the AOB on the TGT DIAL while being able to see the PK move to the targets exact heading.

Using the SPEED fix you can see the gyro angle of your torpedo and the speed changing as you set the targets speed on the TGT DIAL.

Using the RANGE fix will make it so you can also see the numbers for range and the gyro angle move while you change the range on the TGT DIAL.
In order to enter this data your PK needs to be off and then started once the data is inputted.

Please keep in mind if you install these mods you DO NOT LOSE any functionality of the game. You can continue to use your own attack methods with the additions of these tools even if you decide to use them or not.

Look at it this way. You can determine your targets speed and course from 9 km away, enter it in the TGT DIAL, and as you get close refine your solution and take shots from distance with a higher probability of hits. No realism lost, just a gain on tools available.

COMPATIBILITY:

There are 2 mod versions for each version of the game we supported.

1) TGT DIALS TO PK FIX - This is all 3 mods combined (RFB, TMO, GFO & 1.5 versions)

2) TGT AOB DIAL TO PK FIX - This is the AOB mod on its own.

If you require only the speed or range dial fix, you can refer to the original Subsim thread listed below and manually make the change to the dials.cfg as you see fit.

This mod is tested compatible with SH4 1.5 stock, GFO, TMO 1.7 and RFB 1.52.

The Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen is included in TMO and GFO changes the dials.cfg, so to make them compatible with the dial fixes we have modified the TMO and GFO dials.cfg.

When the JSGME mod alerts that the file will be overwriting the original TMO or GFO dials.cfg, it is fine to go ahead and overwrite, it will change the dials.cfg for the corresponding mod with no problems.

INSTALLATION:

1) Copy the mod you want from the zipped file into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS

2) And enable with JSGME.

MANUAL INSTALLATION:

These modifications are made to the dials.cfg found in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\cfg

For instructions to manually alter the files without using the JSGME mods provided here, please see the thread on subsim.com, where it has been discussed:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

Download Link (Subsim Link):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=1228

To make it compatible with other mods:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1962

Authorization to use the mods:

We give permission to use these mods for others as long as credit is given to the original authors.

Enjoy... and Good Hunting....

Last edited by Nicolas; 08-15-11 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Mod compatilibility link.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 09:38 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well! Ain't that interesting! And realistic, because the real sub could input either directly. That's why there are two scales on the dial. Great work, which should be incorporated into all supermods immediately, with your permission of course.

Fabulous work! It's amazing how this old game is changing with a new burst of modding activity greater than any in the past.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 04:19 PM   #3
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

Thanks. Feel free to include this in any mod perhaps a little credit should be ok.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 03:42 AM   #4
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Awesome, great find. I've been looking for a long time for this. The nice side-effect of the stupid data input is that since you usually input the AOB before turning the PK on it doesn't effect anything else. I wonder if the bearing needle can be moved like this .
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 03:15 PM   #5
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Webster, make note. This is surely another bug fix for the TDC!
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 04:19 PM   #6
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

So, just to be clear, I'm modifying the existing TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow and adding a new one at the bottom of the dials.cfg?

EDIT: Ok I made the changes but I can't move the AOB input wheel; it's locked at 0*.

EDIT: Ahh dammit, I didn't change the first line in the dials.cfg to not exclude the newest entry. My bad.

Last edited by jmr; 06-26-09 at 05:07 PM. Reason: resolved my problem
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 06:30 PM   #7
Munchausen
Commodore

How is this supposed to work

I made the changes, thinking that by sending computed speed to the TDC, it would also send the computed target heading. But it doesn't seem to work that way. After clicking on the little watch, checking that the computed speed and heading were accurate, and then clicking on the "send" icon, the computed speed shows up on both the TDC and the speed dial ... but the target heading (TDC) and AOB (dial) remain unchanged from their original positions.
Old 06-26-09, 11:31 PM   #8
karamazovnew
The Old Man

PK must be off or you won't see any change
Old 06-26-09, 11:32 PM   #9
karamazovnew
The Old Man

EDIT: nvm I read it wrong.
Old 06-27-09, 11:43 AM   #10
Munchausen
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
PK was off ... at least, for initial input.

I used the Lifeguard war patrol mission to test the mod.
  • Locking on to the British ship heading west to east, AOB before any input was zero (target pointing "down" on TDC).
  • With PK off, I identified the target, inserted mast height, and took the first stadimeter reading.
  • After three minutes, I took a second stadimeter reading.
  • I clicked the dial "stopwatch" to get an estimated speed and heading ... the estimate said: speed 9 kts, heading 89.
  • I sent the data to the TDC.
Target speed changed to 9, both on the TDC readout and on the speed dial. But AOB remained zero and the target's heading on the TDC remained unchanged.

Did I do something wrong
Old 06-27-09, 12:10 PM   #11
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Of course you did... What Nicolas said was that even though the Speed thing gives you the target's course, if you want to input the AOB so that the ship points to the right course, you need to click, move again a bit, click again and so forth. With this mod, when you move the AOB dial on the right, you'll see it move on the Left too, so you can stop at the correct course in just 1 try. I usually try to go parallel with the ship so that I can find it's course and speed by relative positioning. I didn't even know about the stopwatch gimmick....

wait a second! are you doing that in a UBOAT?! It's for fleet boats!
Old 06-27-09, 11:16 PM   #12
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default huh?

I need step by step instructions. I am playing FOTRS mod. what data file do I open, what can I block and copy, and what do I have to delete. If Manchausen is having a problem, it is wayyyyyy beyond me. Manchausen, didn't you do the torpedo spread angle mod?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 12:52 AM   #13
karamazovnew
The Old Man

I'm gonna save Nicolas the trouble .

1. Open the Data\Menu\cfg\Dials.cfg file. (Save a copy in case you make a mistake).

2. The first part of the file looks like this:
[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx
For example for me it is DialsNo=74
Just add 1, so it becomes DialsNo=75

3. Do a search for this: Dial=0x43010002 There should only be one result. Replace this line:
Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
with: Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow

4. Go to the end of the file and paste this before "; the end":
[Dialxx] ;<- read the number of the last dial and add 1
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW
Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
Dial=0x43010002
CrtVal=0x43010003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.1,-0.1
RealVal=180,-180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

5. Do replace the [Dialxx] part with a corresponding number. If the last dial was [Dial73] then the new last dial should be [Dial74]

You're done.
Read my other post to understand what this actually does .
Old 06-28-09, 04:41 AM   #14
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default ok, I am getting close ....I think?

I set the speed per Manchausen's 3 minute calculation. How do I determine the heading so I can set the AOB correctly? The target's heading is "0" when viewed from inside the target, but don't I want to set its actaul heading (i.e. maybe this is the same as its heading relative to my boat, but I am beginning to get confused by the terminology) so the PK will record it? Maybe I am mixed up? Anyway, what is required to set the target's heading properly, and how is it done? In other words, I need to find the target's heading. After it is determined, I assume it is input via the AOB dial? If so, how is it done?

Once I do all of this correctly, is there some point where I turn the PK on?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 01:03 PM   #15
Munchausen
Commodore

Okay, I haven't tested this yet but, if it works, it will be an improvement. Normally, when you want to adjust a target's heading, you use the AOB dial, eyeballing how far to crank it. Then, when (and only when) you send the new AOB to the TDC, it changes the target's direction ... but it also changes the target's compass rose, relative to your boat's (fleet submarine) heading. Ergo, the target's heading readout on the TDC still won't be correct.

Which, of course, means you gotta make numerous adjustments to get it exactly right. And the effort is complicated even more if your sub is moving.

This mod, I think, lets you adjust AOB and, as you make the adjustment, you can watch the TDC target dial move ... at the same time! Consequently, there's no hit and miss ... what you see is what you will get after sending the date to the TDC.

Btw, after you click on the little stopwatch, estimated heading is displayed in the chat box ... in the same sentence as the target's estimated speed.

Edit:

Okay, I checked to see if this works ... I also checked to make sure I made the changes properly. For some reason, it doesn't work for me. With PK off, I crank the AOB dial on the left ... but the TDC target dial doesn't move. Leastwise, not until I send the data.

Karama, if you've checked this and it works for you, please let me know. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong.

Last edited by Munchausen; 06-28-09 at 01:32 PM.