SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-09, 12:06 PM   #76
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
Egan, Roger out in deeper waters dont know exactly the depth it does disapear My guess is around 100 ft or so, and to remove the orange marker simply delete umark.dds

Jonesy
Take a look at my picture on page two. The sub is visible in 120 ft in a screen shot and barely visible on the monitor at 150 ft.
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 12:40 PM   #77
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Wasnt there a mod that got rid of that Umark (the orange thing floating over my sub That just wont go away nomatter what File i delete. Yes I deleted the Umark file... nothing...)
Old 03-22-09, 02:15 PM   #78
xristoskaiti
Lieutenant

Downloads: 456
can make something compatible and for the monsun v 700?
xristoskaiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 02:27 PM   #79
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

Make sure u deactivate the mod when u go in and delete umark.dds, it worked on my setup. Thats sweet that the sub is visible 100 ft plus considering aircraft could spot subs at that those depths and deeper in certain waters pretty cool.

Jonesy

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 02:31 PM   #80
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
Wasnt there a mod that got rid of that Umark (the orange thing floating over my sub That just wont go away nomatter what File i delete. Yes I deleted the Umark file... nothing...)

Try and replace the Umark file whit a file from a mod where its not visible. Like TMO.

And se if that helps.
Old 03-22-09, 05:25 PM   #81
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

rgr. (currently useing RFB.)

Thanks.
Old 03-22-09, 05:33 PM   #82
Soundman
Commodore

Downloads: 60

First, let me salute Kriller and Clear on an outstanding accomplishment for visually improving the game.

Secondly, there is one major gripe.. and I realize this problem existed before this modification, but please, fix this if you can. I love the eyecandy, but not at the expense of realistic gameplay. Let me explain,

Thirdly, I'm using up to date RFB.

The inability to use the stadmeter without locking onto a target has been an issue since day one. In reality, it should not matter whether or not a ship is in view, nor should the ability or inability, to lock onto the target matter in order to use the stadmeter for range measurements. IRL, the stadmeter is/was not aware if there is a target in view or not, and it could be used looking upon the wide open ocean, allowing a range to be entered without the necessity of a target.

I am fully aware this is hard coded and Kriller and Clear cannot fix this issue. However, the ability to lock onto a target at a certain range should have reasonable parameters. IMO, the locking of a target in this game, should simulate a person looking through the scope, while a target is visible, and simply holding the scope on the bearing of what he sees, (i.e.,, the target..) In other words, as an example.. if I were looking through a scope and saw a lighthouse, I could certainly hold the scope on that bearing constantly, unless the boat sailed out of view of that lighthouse. Where my frustration lies, is the ability to see a target clearly enough to identify the target, but yet, not be able to lock onto the target. Therefore, the inability to use the stadmeter. On the other hand, I don't want the ability to lock onto a target 9 miles out either. I just want the abilities of visualization and gameplay to be in sync. Ducimus spoke many times on the issues of changing parameters for visuals, in that it often creates the necessity to adjust perhaps three other parameters, in order to avoid changing gameplay. Such is the example I'm trying to make.

I don't expect the ability to lock onto a target from 5 miles away in heavy fog, but on the other hand, I do expect the ability to remain locked onto a target from six miles out on a clear day. What I am trying to convey is... Synchronize the visual abilities with the capabilities of locking onto a target. As an example,.. I was in semi foggy conditions yesterday. I could clearly see and identify a target from 2000 yards. Yet, I could not lock onto the target until I was about 150 yards away and all the time, I'm trying to gather data to input into the TDC. Without the abilty to lock, I could not use the stadmeter and could clearly see the boat, mast height and all. This is not realistic. If I can see or certainly, identify a target from 2000 yards, I should undoubtedly be able lock onto, and use the stadmeter from that range. Some people have spoke of fog issues, and I can only imagine that creates many complications with balancing all of the parameters necessary for proper gameplay.

The last thing I wish to do here is disrespect the work of these guys. Quite the opposite. I highly appreciate and respect the work, time and dedication spent on this project. I only hope this is something that can be fixed.

There are probably many parameters that adjust these factors I'm speaking of, but could anyone point me in the right direction of how to adjust the distances that allow the locking of targets? Maybe I could do some fiddling and see what becomes of it.

RVAH-9 RA-5C Vigilante at NAS Sanford, Fl 1966
The coolest plane few have heard of!

Last edited by Soundman; 03-22-09 at 06:03 PM.
Soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 07:42 PM   #83
Navarre
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

For what is the additional sky folder inside the data folder?
This folder contains the same shader files, such the sky folder inside the shaders folder.

As a result of a binary, hex and text compare tool, allot of shader files are identical in content with the original stock version, as well as some other files, why are they even included in this mod?
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 11:22 PM   #84
el cheguevara
A-ganger

Downloads: 579
Uploads: 2

Was wondering if not using environmental effects and volumetric fog still gives a realistic look, i've noticed the ocean does look darker but don't know if it still gives it "that look" lol, don't tick those or else i get 17-18 fps at pearl.

Last edited by el cheguevara; 03-22-09 at 11:37 PM.
el cheguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 12:02 AM   #85
rcjonessnp175
Weps

17-18 on most rigs in pearl isnt all bad, realize most of your patrols arnt in ports so im sure u get good fps out at sea per say. But yes volumetric anything will eat up alot of fps on older machines.

Jonesy

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
Old 03-23-09, 12:13 AM   #86
el cheguevara
A-ganger

So do most people with fps like mine just turn those off in port and then on after leaving port, cause i have notice after a couple of miles away from pearl my framerate does jump up to around 70. Just tried this mod out and it is superb, i love the new ship pitch and roll.
Old 03-23-09, 01:38 AM   #87
rcjonessnp175
Weps

What i did with my old laptop was keep those settings on but put the slider mostly to the left for i forget what its exactly called but the sliders for land objects and lod or range one of the two, that seemed to help out a bit. hope that helps.

Jonesy

Old 03-23-09, 01:59 AM   #88
el cheguevara
A-ganger

Thanks, will try that out . What i was thinking, since i can get performance similar to stock with this mod, will this help get a frame or two more outta RFB if used with it? If it does, what order should i install it in?
Old 03-23-09, 11:48 AM   #89
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Love the visual graphics. I agree with the problem not able to lock on to targets that you can clearly see needs work. In heavy fog, OK, in lite fog being able to see a target over 2000 yards away, but can't lock on until 200yards and then you can't shoot. Using OKanes method helps, but still want to shoot at multiple target if I'm in the middle of a convoy shooting at many angles.

You can get some serious work done with a deckgun against dd's if you use the deckgun. You can see them far away, even though the AI, nor you crew can. I sunk 4 in one patrol with my deckgun. For the most part they can't see you, they just go about patrol. Got one convoy in lite fog, sunk the two dd's, the the two merchants with my deck gun.

Before, in heavy fog it was more realistic. You still could ping and use the bearing to sink ships with your DG, but you couldn't see them.

I could deal with the fog if we could lock on the ships we can clearly see.

Love the wave action....

Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 01:01 PM   #90
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Kriller and W_Clear,

Well done gentleman! Thanks for your work. As always your able to go above and beyond your previous creations.

Thank you!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote