Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-11, 08:08 PM   #16
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpiano View Post
That's the problem. It's not as simple as copy and pasting the name, am I supposed to capitalize? Do I add on the USS part? Do I capitalize USS? Do I put a dash between USS-Tang? Is it just Tang? How about tang? How about SS-306? Then for the random question, "What is a german submarine called?" U-boat..nope, uboat? Nope. "United states of?" America? Nope, it's america.

It's obnoxious and there better ways of preventing spam that don't require guess work. Maybe I'm the only one who has had this problem, if so then fine; sorry to bother. Just wanted to download RSRD anyways.
You know capitalization isn't important in those, right.
Old 06-18-11, 08:47 PM   #17
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

He just came here to loot a mod. Gee. I wonder why I think he wouldn't donate a penny to this site even if you led him in on a Red Carpet.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 08:50 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpiano View Post
That's the problem. It's not as simple as copy and pasting the name, am I supposed to capitalize? Do I add on the USS part? Do I capitalize USS? Do I put a dash between USS-Tang? Is it just Tang? How about tang? How about SS-306? Then for the random question, "What is a german submarine called?" U-boat..nope, uboat? Nope. "United states of?" America? Nope, it's america.

It's obnoxious and there better ways of preventing spam that don't require guess work. Maybe I'm the only one who has had this problem, if so then fine; sorry to bother. Just wanted to download RSRD anyways.
Yes, you just wanted to take, not to give. That's why we call it a community.

Look mate, I know Q&A is a pain but if you know "better ways of preventing spam that don't require guess work", share them please. I'm all ears, and I would be eager to say, "Hey, you're right, that is a better way." And then I would implement the better way, and give you credit, and praise you. Right now there are 8 people checking daily for spam, and I don't see why the burden should be only on them.

It happens that I did set up the Q&A to allow for U-boot, U-boat, Uboot, Uboat, boot, etc. And I checked, the answer in place for US of... is America. Honest. Doesn't matter anyway, the answers are not case sensitive (unless something is broken).

I am open to reasonable criticism. You are welcome to post in the poll, too.

Neal
Old 06-19-11, 11:23 PM   #19
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Eh? What's that I hear?
Old 06-19-11, 11:37 PM   #20
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Hey, hey, I think it's a legitimate complaint. I really do wish it was a little less... hard-and-fast, especially since there are a lot of foreign members who might have every right to participate here but be thrown off by difficulties of interpreting the question.

That said, do you have a better suggestion? I mean I understand you're unhappy with how it's handled now, but it's hard to do something about it without a more concrete idea to go on. I realize other forums don't require this, but... well, you also have to realize that the recent effort against spam here didn't come lightly to the site. It'd be great if we could strike a balance. But please have some sympathy for the fact that a site run on free time and user donations can't afford to spend too much of its efforts on manual spam-busting. So some sort of safeguard like this will have to stay I'm afraid.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 12:27 PM   #21
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
So you register just to get a download from the server -which costs a good amount of $ monthly- and the only message you leave here is not of gratitude, but of annoyment?

This is a great community, if you spend some minutes browsing the forum you will see that there is much more to offer than just the downloads. That we sadly have to resort to such measures to protect and keep it like that, should not be a big deal for anyone with real interest in it.

Oh well, your choice ...