SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-19, 05:23 AM   #196
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzin1973 View Post
Hello again, Question: Im i supposed to install the mod:
"AOBF 16-9 Res" (included with OM) along with this mod?

My monitor resolution is 1920x1080. I guess it seems obvious i should install it, but i dont know if this mod also includes something similar?

The reason i ask, is that i been having problems using the RAOBF. It seems the readings it gives me are allways wrong, not by much, but allways by at least a couple of hundred meters.

I do know how to use this system of course, as ibe used the MaGUI in SH3 forever and its my prefered choice. But here its not working accurately for me. I even read the Kiub manual a couple of times to be sure im doing it right.
Not sure if its a resolution issue, or im doing something wrong.

If anyone has any clue as to what might be wrong, i would really appreciate your input.
I play 1920X1080 too, and don’t use the mod AOBF 16/9...but confess i don’t use the AOBF either, as i think this wheel was used in WW1 and not WW2.
But correct me if i’m Wrong ...

Thanks for your Co2 infos.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 06:03 AM   #197
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I play 1920X1080 too, and don’t use the mod AOBF 16/9...but confess i don’t use the AOBF either, as i think this wheel was used in WW1 and not WW2.
But correct me if i’m Wrong ...

Thanks for your Co2 infos.
Yes, i think you are correct. The RAOBF was used in WWI not WWII (AFAIK).

By the way, i installed the "AOBF 16-9 Res" Mod mentioned before, and the problem dissapeared!

I now get totally accurate ranges.

Out of curiosity, If you dont use the RAOBF weel, how do you do your targeting? In SH3 you had 10,000,000 choices for UI, but in SH4 OM even the stadimeter doesnt work (except as complement to the raobf).
Do you take all measures from the map?
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 06:37 AM   #198
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, i think you are correct. The RAOBF was used in WWI not WWII (AFAIK).

By the way, i installed the "AOBF 16-9 Res" Mod mentioned before, and the problem dissapeared!

I now get totally accurate ranges.

Out of curiosity, If you dont use the RAOBF weel, how do you do your targeting? In SH3 you had 10,000,000 choices for UI, but in SH4 OM even the stadimeter doesnt work (except as complement to the raobf).
Do you take all measures from the map?

All by estimations, like i believe real kaleuns did my friend
The more you get used to targeting, the more you know how to estimate range and AOB
It happens i miss, but i hit very very often ... when they are not dud
I don’t measure on map at all.
The principal factor is target speed in my opinion. Because i fire very close to targets, i can have a slightly wrong AOB and distance...but a wrong target speed is a miss for sure!
Same was SH3/SH5 for me.

I’m glad the little mod solved your resolution problem
Old 06-29-19, 07:01 AM   #199
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
All by estimations, like i believe real kaleuns did my friend
The more you get used to targeting, the more you know how to estimate range and AOB
It happens i miss, but i hit very very often ... when they are not dud
I don’t measure on map at all.
The principal factor is target speed in my opinion. Because i fire very close to targets, i can have a slightly wrong AOB and distance...but a wrong target speed is a miss for sure!
Same was SH3/SH5 for me.

I’m glad the little mod solved your resolution problem

Very nice! It takes a lot of practise (and skill) to hit targets just using visual estimations.
Yes i agree, speed is the most significant value. Get that right at close ranges (say 400 to 700 meters), and you can have errors in everything else and still hit.

And i do belive you are right, experienced captains when engaging at close range did so by visual estimation. However, i do recall reading (sorry dont remember the source), that novice captains, and even experienced ones when firing at medium / long distances, used the graduations on the scope, along with their experience (and rec manuals some times) to calculate ranges and speed.

Speaking of targeting methods, do you know the "broken TDC / Fast attack" method available in the SH3 MaGUI UI? where you only need to know the target´s speed and course, and you dont even have to ID him or know his range.
Its awesome! it would be great to have that in OM. I might give it a shot at implementing it, all it takes is to incorporate the charts (images) and to set the speed of the torpedoes to historical (?) values.
Old 06-29-19, 08:06 AM   #200
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Definitely a hmmm... lol - sim link?? hopefully, s7rikeback is almost finished with getting his computer system (and what a system) set back up, and can tell you "why, it's obvious..." and fix it.
Right guys, downloading update 3 and will report back ASAP.
Old 07-01-19, 12:52 AM   #201
Benzin1973
Engineer

Hi guys, Will it be neccesary to start a new career after installing Update 3 (when its released)?
I ask because if it will require a restart, i will prefeer to wait untill it comes out to start my new career. I can play some more SH3 untill it comes out.

If it doesnt require a new career i will happily continue my current one.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-19, 01:05 AM   #202
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi guys, Will it be neccesary to start a new career after installing Update 3 (when its released)?
I ask because if it will require a restart, i will prefeer to wait untill it comes out to start my new career. I can play some more SH3 untill it comes out.

If it doesnt require a new career i will happily continue my current one.

Thanks!
Yes, Update 3 will need career restart
Old 07-01-19, 01:29 AM   #203
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
Yes, Update 3 will need career restart
Thanks Fifi.
Old 07-01-19, 08:48 AM   #204
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

What about reversing the darkness of sea depth color on the nav map?
I think deeper should be darker.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 09:24 AM   #205
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
What about reversing the darkness of sea depth color on the nav map?
I think deeper should be darker.
There is a mod somewhere in the download section to change nav map as your liking...right now i don’t have time to search it, sorry.

Update 3 with new subs will be probably released on Thursday morning (here in France)
Except if insurmountable issue is found
Old 07-01-19, 09:54 PM   #206
Benzin1973
Engineer

Guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you change uboat in SH4 OM?
I mean, in SH3 i could change uboat type anytime i was in port, provided i had the prestige cost of the uboat. But here i dont see any place where i can "purchase" a different uboat.

Say i start my career in a type 2. Then i want to move on to a type 7, and maybe later i change my mind and want a type 9.
Where exactly do i "change" my sub?

Sorry for this Xtra noob question, but i havent played SH4 in quite a while!

Thanks!
Old 07-02-19, 12:41 AM   #207
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you change uboat in SH4 OM?
I mean, in SH3 i could change uboat type anytime i was in port, provided i had the prestige cost of the uboat. But here i dont see any place where i can "purchase" a different uboat.

Say i start my career in a type 2. Then i want to move on to a type 7, and maybe later i change my mind and want a type 9.
Where exactly do i "change" my sub?

Sorry for this Xtra noob question, but i havent played SH4 in quite a while!

Thanks!
SH4 is completely different from SH3 in that matter.
You can’t « buy » a sub type with your renown points.
All you can purchase is equipment when available...

When many very good patrols accomplished, game may propose you a new sub type of the latest built. Up to you to accept or decline.

Don’t ask me how many patrols or tonnage you need, because i don’t know

In real life, kaleuns often sailed the same baby from start to end, and very few of them changed types...except the best leaders sometimes.

What you can do is to start more than one career to test different U-Boat types, and see how long you can make on each type
Make sure to type the saves names very different though...

Hope that helps

Last edited by Fifi; 07-02-19 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 01:31 AM   #208
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
SH4 is completely different from SH3 in that matter.
You can’t « buy » a sub type with your renown points.
All you can purchase is equipment when available...

When many very good patrols accomplished, game may propose you a new sub type of the latest built. Up to you to accept or decline.

Don’t ask me how many patrols or tonnage you need, because i don’t know

In real life, kaleuns often sailed the same baby from start to end, and very few of them changed types...except the best leaders sometimes.

What you can do is to start more than one career to test different U-Boat types, and see how long you can make on each type
Make sure to type the saves names very different though...

Hope that helps
Ah man. I must say thats rather dissapointing. I love to use a Type2 early war to pester those brits near their coasts, then move on to a T7 to bugger them on the western approaches, and sometimes switch to a T9 to plague the Americans

Oh well, i guess ill stick with a Type 7. I assume i do get an option to upgrade the specific class when they become available. Right? like from a 7b to a 7c, later to a XX!, etc.

Thanks for the information Fifi!
Old 07-02-19, 01:48 AM   #209
Fifi
Navy Seal

I believe you should get the upgrade from a VIIB to a VIIC when time and enough points gathered ... but i confess i didn’t play career enough longer to see that, because i decided to enhance this nice mod first

When i will be done with those new subs importation, i may start a career and see how it handles. That was Lurker’s job you know, i’m Really not familiar with what was done.

Maybe someone else could answer you better than me
Old 07-02-19, 02:08 AM   #210
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
I believe you should get the upgrade from a VIIB to a VIIC when time and enough points gathered ... but i confess i didn’t play career enough longer to see that, because i decided to enhance this nice mod first

When i will be done with those new subs importation, i may start a career and see how it handles. That was Lurker’s job you know, i’m Really not familiar with what was done.

Maybe someone else could answer you better than me
I must say im very glad you did!!

Thanks Fifi!