SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-15, 07:13 AM   #661
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
When the hooker sees the wet handkerchief she'll think that driver has already had his fun for that day.
Not if it's a Peterbuilt!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 12:02 PM   #662
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Day 3 at my new residence, the Country Inn and Suites. Truck had a turbo malfunction, lost a lot of oil, and made a biblical amount of white smoke. Engine kept running even after I switched the key off, for about 4 minutes.

My company called a tow truck, he hauled me down to the Flying J, cause all the shops and dealers are closed for a 3 day holiday weekend.

Called a taxi and took myself to the hotel for the weekend.
Old 07-05-15, 12:35 PM   #663
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
serious down time here BBY! an in-frame major at least and the damn turbo-impeller is shot...again I need an ice cold Enfamil BBY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Dangit, all this talk about buying my own truck, and my company truck broke down in Bessemer, Alabama. See what you did?
Quote:
Day 3 at my new residence, the Country Inn and Suites. Truck had a turbo malfunction, lost a lot of oil, and made a biblical amount of white smoke. Engine kept running even after I switched the key off, for about 4 minutes.

My company called a tow truck, he hauled me down to the Flying J, cause all the shops and dealers are closed for a 3 day holiday weekend.

Called a taxi and took myself to the hotel for the weekend.
Sorry about the turbo; I hope I didn't call that shot! You just reinforced why I didn't get SWMBO's new Subaru with one. Nuthin' but headaches with those on the old Cummins 290's. Fewer moving parts: fewer problems imho

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 07:16 PM   #664
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I think you may be getting slow in your young age
Happens to us all my friend.
It happens to us all.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 08:28 PM   #665
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Hope you enjoyed the time off Neal... and got paid for your breakdown.

I spent 4 days back in the 80s in Harrisburg, PA getting the governor replaced on the GMC's 250 Detroit engine for carhauler I drove. I spent 3 nights on a surplus army stretcher in the garage's lobby and 1 night in a hotel. But I got paid 10 hours each day for the breakdown. To this day I still have the governor shaft that broke as a souvenir.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 09:24 PM   #666
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Oh yeah, I get paid, $200 a day. But getting seriously bored wasting time on the internetz. Good news, looks like they have a driver coming tomorrow am to pick me up and get my trailer so we can deliver the load.

3 days late
Old 07-06-15, 05:50 AM   #667
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Oh yeah, I get paid, $200 a day. But getting seriously bored wasting time on the internetz. Good news, looks like they have a driver coming tomorrow am to pick me up and get my trailer so we can deliver the load.

3 days late

Dayum!!! Is your employer not familiar with Penske?

Tomorrow never comes
Old 07-16-15, 01:22 PM   #668
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

Now I can explain....IF that busted truck was your own, there would be NO $200.oo/day layover/breakdown pay, NO fancy shmancy hotel (more likely a homeless shelter) AND you would still have a huge bill to pay for the turbo. Now do you see why I drive for a company? The truck breaks down and I dial 1-800-come fix your junk and pay me to wait.

Speaking of come fix your junk, check this out.
A driving rain storm, I couldn't see past the hood at 0230 hrs. No lines on the road either. It is a good thing I was going slow or it would have gotten real nasty real fast.

If it wasn't for the trailers the tractor would be on its' side.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 03:18 PM   #669
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

Classic example of ...
Keep it between the ditches to keep the crap outta yer britches.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 07-16-15, 09:53 PM   #670
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, my truck will be OOC for 2 months, so they gave me another truck. Two hours of cleaning and detoxing. It still smells like an ashtray, but looks like the previous driver left a 1500 watt invertor, so it's all good.
Old 07-16-15, 10:39 PM   #671
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Two hours of cleaning and detoxing. It still smells like an ashtray, but looks like the previous driver left a 1500 watt invertor, so it's all good.
Wow. You could probably run a mobile coffee stand from the cab with one of those.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 08:24 AM   #672
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Remount that thing so you can quickly pull it when you get your truck back. Payment for the cleaning.

Two months down wow, we'd have to buy another truck. Guess I better get my house sold soon just in case. lol

It does look like owning used is about the same as buying new in terms of cost. Somewhat scared to buy new in case a recession starts like some have been calling for. In a recession new might be worse than used.
Old 07-18-15, 09:50 AM   #673
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Yeah, my truck will be OOC for 2 months, so they gave me another truck. Two hours of cleaning and detoxing. It still smells like an ashtray, but looks like the previous driver left a 1500 watt invertor, so it's all good.
Count your lucky stars...
At CRST they showed us pictures of a tractor that had been assigned to a pair of East Indian drivers that had no concept of a rest stop restroom. They cut a hole in the middle of the sleeper floor and defecated onto the highway through it. That is, when they weren't defecating in shopping bags and stuffing them into every cubby in the cab. The tractor was a total write off because it couldn't be cleaned well enough to remove the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Wow. You could probably run a mobile coffee stand from the cab with one of those.
Mexican lunch truck would be more lucrative.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 07-18-15, 02:17 PM   #674
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
Speaking of come fix your junk, check this out.
A driving rain storm, I couldn't see past the hood at 0230 hrs. No lines on the road either. It is a good thing I was going slow or it would have gotten real nasty real fast.

If it wasn't for the trailers the tractor would be on its' side.
Wow, man, tip of the hat to you for keeping a bad situation from being a whole lot worser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
I know! If no one claims it, I will buy one of those minifrdges so I can keep some fresh food in the truck. And a microwave. And yeah, maybe a cappuccino machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Remount that thing so you can quickly pull it when you get your truck back. Payment for the cleaning.

Two months down wow, we'd have to buy another truck. Guess I better get my house sold soon just in case. lol

It does look like owning used is about the same as buying new in terms of cost. Somewhat scared to buy new in case a recession starts like some have been calling for. In a recession new might be worse than used.
Yeah, as it happens, I am selling my last rent house next week, if the deal doesn't fall apart. It is scary, but being an o/o will be more lucrative than a company driver. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any o/o's with over 3 years experience on the road. Some of them know how to make it work, balance the risk, and come out ahead. I know I need a lot more knowledge if I want to try it. I'm not ready to venture out in the business yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Count your lucky stars...
At CRST they showed us pictures of a tractor that had been assigned to a pair of East Indian drivers that had no concept of a rest stop restroom. They cut a hole in the middle of the sleeper floor and defecated onto the highway through it. That is, when they weren't defecating in shopping bags and stuffing them into every cubby in the cab. The tractor was a total write off because it couldn't be cleaned well enough to remove the smell.

Mexican lunch truck would be more lucrative.
Haha, I read that description on one of the truck forums!
Old 07-28-15, 08:20 AM   #675
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Sitting in a desolate drop yard on the border near Laredo, TX. Supposed to pick up an empty trailor and return to H-town, but no BOL. Dispatch says someone should be here at 8 to staff the office.....but still waiting. This place looks like the land that time forgot.

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks