SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-08, 06:44 AM   #136
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Default Ubermod v1.2 released!

Changes in this version:
  • Fixed a problem with the OLCE2 sun halo which caused a "flat" sun for some players. Full details of this fix can be found in the readme included in the download.
  • Fixed the incorrectly named port of Königsberg in the German language version of OLC GUI Special.
  • Fixed the zooming of the deck gun in OLC GUI Special (it was still zooming a bit, in a broken fashion - now it doesn't zoom at all, as was intended).
Old 04-20-08, 07:11 AM   #137
Nuss
Seaman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks to OLC

Hi Olc,

you are really one of the modders who always reacts very quick. For me everything is ok with the ubermod.

GWX 2.1 and your ubermod are my favourite mods.

Thank you very much.

Nuss
Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:03 AM   #138
Volga
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

G'day, OLC.

Thanks for your work and the time you've put into adding it all together, the video tutorial and so on. Exemplary stuff.

Two minor issues with the Ubermod that I'm having as a n00b Keleun --started a career 9/39 (Wilhelmshaven) at dusk, and noticed that we have many new planets in our solar system. That is, the magnification of stars are many times greater than they ought to be -- is there any simple way I can poke around inside a file to change the parameters? Other than that, I'm getting some truly Turner-esque sunsets.

Following your video tutorial accompanied by the associated community pdfs it's clear that an older(?), simpler, wizwheel is being demonstrated, whereas in more recent releases of your GUI has been replaced with a deluxe/more realistic(?) version which doesn't correllate to your video wizwheel. I recall using the former version, and was actually making headway with it, now I'm struggling with the deluxe version pretty badly for some reason.

Is there any way of obtaining an earlier release of your GUI, and replacing the new with the old, at least as far as the wizwheel goes?

Nontheless, thanks again for your hard work -bravo!
Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:10 AM   #139
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volga
G'day, OLC.

Thanks for your work and the time you've put into adding it all together, the video tutorial and so on. Exemplary stuff.

Two minor issues with the Ubermod that I'm having as a n00b Keleun --started a career 9/39 (Wilhelmshaven) at dusk, and noticed that we have many new planets in our solar system. That is, the magnification of stars are many times greater than they ought to be -- is there any simple way I can poke around inside a file to change the parameters?

This is a new one to me. A screenshot would be extremely useful. If you don't know how to take/post screenshots, please send me a PM!

Other than that, I'm getting some truly Turner-esque sunsets.

Following your video tutorial accompanied by the associated community pdfs it's clear that an older(?), simpler, wizwheel is being demonstrated, whereas in more recent releases of your GUI has been replaced with a deluxe/more realistic(?) version which doesn't correllate to your video wizwheel. I recall using the former version, and was actually making headway with it, now I'm struggling with the deluxe version pretty badly for some reason.

The "wizwheel" (a.k.a. Attack Disc) has hardly changed at all since it was added to OLC GUI v1.1.0. I wonder if perhaps you mean the Range/AOB Finder?

Is there any way of obtaining an earlier release of your GUI, and replacing the new with the old, at least as far as the wizwheel goes?

Nontheless, thanks again for your hard work -bravo!
Answers above in green
Old 04-20-08, 08:34 AM   #140
Volga
Swabbie

Quote:
This is a new one to me. A screenshot would be extremely useful. If you don't know how to take/post screenshots, please send me a PM!

The "wizwheel" (a.k.a. Attack Disc) has hardly changed at all since it was added to OLC GUI v1.1.0. I wonder if perhaps you mean the Range/AOB Finder?
Aye, aye -1.2 seems to have fixed the issue nicely for some reason. Stars are as they ought to be now.

And er..yes, the Range/AOB finder is what my Kaleun meant if you mean the thingy he pulls down whilst using the attack periscope. It's surprising he actually graduated, in all honesty.
Old 04-20-08, 09:29 AM   #141
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default A Short Video Tutorial

I've posted a very short video tutorial for OLC GUI Special. If you're playing with OLC GUI Special then I recommend you watch it even if you're familiar with OLC GUI, as you might pick up some things you didn't know.

Post #1 updated.

Cheers,
OLC
Old 04-20-08, 09:42 AM   #142
Volga
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
I've posted a very short video tutorial for OLC GUI Special. If you're playing with OLC GUI Special then I recommend you watch it even if you're familiar with OLC GUI, as you might pick up some things you didn't know.

Post #1 updated.

Cheers,
OLC
Perfect -thank you, OLC. Just what I was looking for.
Old 04-20-08, 12:55 PM   #143
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Default Which Files to Use?

OLC, A few questions about correct mod use with your new mods:

If I am using OLCE (part 1 of 2) from Ubermod 1.2 but using OLC GUI 1.2.3:

1) Should I install the OLC 1.2.3 "Dark" files

2) Can I use the same UBoat files for SH3 Commander that were provided with Ubermod 1.2 or must I install the UBoat files for SH3 Commander that were provided with OLC GUI 1.2.3?

3) Which Version of Phoenix3000's English to German Names should I use: The ones for 1.2.3 and original GWX or the new one for GWX 2.1 and Ubermod 1.2?

R/
TC2
Old 04-20-08, 01:06 PM   #144
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
OLC, A few questions about correct mod use with your new mods:

If I am using OLCE (part 1 of 2) from Ubermod 1.2 but using OLC GUI 1.2.3:

1) Should I install the OLC 1.2.3 "Dark" files
Entirely up to you. It'll work with or without. However, the "light" GUI (which is what you get if you don't install the "dark" files) will probably be difficult to use on those dark OLCE2 nights.

2) Can I use the same UBoat files for SH3 Commander that were provided with Ubermod 1.2 or must I install the UBoat files for SH3 Commander that were provided with OLC GUI 1.2.3?
The U-boat files included in the Ubermod are identical to those included in OLC GUI, so it doesn't matter which ones you use.

3) Which Version of Phoenix3000's English to German Names should I use: The ones for 1.2.3 and original GWX or the new one for GWX 2.1 and Ubermod 1.2?
If you're using OLC GUI 1.2.3 then you need to use the German Names Mod for 1.2.3.

R/
TC2
Answers above in green.
Old 04-20-08, 01:14 PM   #145
Lapazeus
Watch

Downloads: 40

Thanks OLC! This OLC GUI SPECIAL is just what I've hoped for!

A few problems:

- I have the flat sun fix enabled and the sun halo now works in deck view, external view and observation periscope view, but the sun still shows flat in attack periscope view. Not really a major problem as players seldom need to be targeting the sun

- In the radio/sonar room view, two of the lights only "light up" from certain angles. I think the problem may be similar to the sun halo problem.
Lapazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 01:19 PM   #146
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLiveCrisis
Yes, I have a stinky CRT. It shouldn't be hard for you to believe, given that you have a terrible rig with an awesome sound stage. Different priorities, perhaps?

Actually, when I bought my rig I bought a projector and screen, and surround speaker kit, the whole shebang. But the projector and the speakers were both broken some time ago, and since then I've played on a 15 inch CRT with headphones. But I digress.

It's not a complicated situation, I broke one thing to fix another, I was just a bit perplexed by your long-winded post about how pointless the excercise was in your opinion. Doesn't seem very constructive to me.
Resuming that long-post into a few words, "the attack periscope is a bit useless compared to its antecessor".

You probably wont agree with me on this one, and you have all the reasons not to.

The way I see it, it was a constructive post. But if you have given up on trying new things and this was your last mod related to scopes, then yes, it was not a constructive post...

But the way I see it, you are pretty happy with the 3x scope, you might even think that this is better then a 10x scope. To each his own, I respect that very much. So in your point of view, yes, not a constructive post.

I see what you mean.
Old 04-20-08, 01:20 PM   #147
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapazeus
Thanks OLC! This OLC GUI SPECIAL is just what I've hoped for!

A few problems:

- I have the flat sun fix enabled and the sun halo now works in deck view, external view and observation periscope view, but the sun still shows flat in attack periscope view. Not really a major problem as players seldom need to be targeting the sun

I know, and it really annoys me, but this is a stock problem I've had since day 1. I'm convinced it can be fixed because I once managed to get the sunhalo working in the attack scope, but then at some point I re-broke it and I couldn't work out what I'd changed in-between!
Anyway, I'm wondering whether (A) you always had this problem but only just noticed it, or (B) you didn't used to have it. If (B), your setup might give me some clues on how to fix it. If you wouldn't mind helping me out... would you disable all your JSGME mods and do a quick training mission to see whether you still have the problem in unmodified GWX 2.1?

- In the radio/sonar room view, two of the lights only "light up" from certain angles. I think the problem may be similar to the sun halo problem.
I don't think that has anything to do with my mod, nothing I've changed should affect the interior lighting. Did you install the open hatch mod? I think that changes it, but I'm not sure.
Above in green.
Old 04-20-08, 01:24 PM   #148
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Nevermind what I said before...

I've just put myself in your position...

You had this pancake effect that bothered you so much, and you found a way to eliminate it. And you are very happy with the results, this is all that matter for any modder. Pleasing everyone is not your main concearn.

Sorry for what I said before, you're right...
Old 04-20-08, 01:34 PM   #149
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

PT, no worries. When I said "not constructive" I suppose what I'm getting at is... yes I know the fixed zoom level isn't for everyone, but folks have the choice, and I can't offer any more than that. If I knew a way to fix the pancake effect without breaking zooms, I'd do it. What bothered me about your post was, it's like you were saying that nobody else is going to like it at all... and I hope that's not true. Remember what I told you before, grasshopper: if you love your mod, it was worth making it; if one other person loves your mod, it was worth releasing it.

From a gameplay/functional point of view, for me personally, the only thing I miss (just a little bit) is the 1.5X zoom on the obs scope... the new attack scope zoom suits me fine, even if it's not a RL zoom level.
Old 04-20-08, 01:40 PM   #150
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
PT, no worries. When I said "not constructive" I suppose what I'm getting at is... yes I know the fixed zoom level isn't for everyone, but folks have the choice, and I can't offer any more than that. If I knew a way to fix the pancake effect without breaking zooms, I'd do it. What bothered me about your post was, it's like you were saying that nobody else is going to like it at all... and I hope that's not true. Remember what I told you before, grasshopper: if you love your mod, it was worth making it; if one other person loves your mod, it was worth releasing it.

From a gameplay/functional point of view, for me personally, the only thing I miss (just a little bit) is the 1.5X zoom on the obs scope... the new attack scope zoom suits me fine, even if it's not a RL zoom level.
And what exactly happens if you add a 1.5x zoom to the obs periscope? Tecnically, if you fixed the waves to look good at 6x, when you zoom out to 1.5x (which is almost null zoom) they should look perfect as well... And even if they don't, you could use a 1x zoom, wouldn't it work?

And what if you set the attack zoom to fixed 6x? The double mast values is the only issue?

Just throwing some "what ifs" to understand the mechanics, not requesting anything!