SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-15, 07:28 PM   #1
CjStaal
Seaman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Mods to fix sonar and allow me to sit on the seafloor without taking damage?

Even in GWX sonar is pretty unrealistic. Is there any mod that will make it more realistic and also allow me to bottom out on to the sea floor to make me indistinguishable to the sonar? Also, how can I tell how far away I am from the sea floor? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Also, how can I have a view of my sub underwater? The freeview just puts my camera at the surface.
CjStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 08:53 PM   #2
Aks
Watch

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjStaal View Post
Also, how can I tell how far away I am from the sea floor? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
You can discover depth under keel due left click to navigator icon and choose "Reports". If you ask how can navigator discover this - he use the sonar and he notes the arrival time of the echo.

Last edited by Aks; 07-27-15 at 09:12 PM.
Aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 09:43 PM   #3
CjStaal
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aks View Post
You can discover depth under keel due left click to navigator icon and choose "Reports". If you ask how can navigator discover this - he use the sonar and he notes the arrival time of the echo.
I don't have sonar yet.
Old 07-27-15, 10:07 PM   #4
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

The navigator uses a depth sounder for this, you do not need to have sonar equipped. If you click on reports, you should see a depth under keel icon, or picture-wise, the hull of a boat with a line underneath. H.sie has some mods out that will alter the sonar to be more realistic. As for not taking damage when bottoming out, I have yet to find a mod for that.
Old 07-28-15, 12:14 AM   #5
CjStaal
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone307 View Post
The navigator uses a depth sounder for this, you do not need to have sonar equipped. If you click on reports, you should see a depth under keel icon, or picture-wise, the hull of a boat with a line underneath. H.sie has some mods out that will alter the sonar to be more realistic. As for not taking damage when bottoming out, I have yet to find a mod for that.
My sonarman does not give me that option.
Old 07-28-15, 01:16 AM   #6
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
My sonarman does not give me that option.
It's not the sonar man you want, its the navigator.

Click on the Navigator icon. Then click on the reports icon above him. Then click on the far right icon with the submarine for the depth-finder.

In this case: Navigator officer reports depth under keel is 15 meters.

Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 03:17 AM   #7
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Even in GWX sonar is pretty unrealistic. Is there any mod that will make it more realistic and also allow me to bottom out on to the sea floor to make me indistinguishable to the sonar?

Stiebler wrote a patch for SH3, in which there is the option that allows your Sub to be less detected by the asdic (sonar) in shallow waters.

From the README :

"It was always much harder to detect U-boats with asdic in shallow waters than in deep water, due to tides, wrecks, rocks and similar. From October 1944 - May 1945, U-boats with schnorchels patrolled very close to land around the British Isles, the so-called ‘Inshore Campaign’, relying for their protection on the poor detection ability of Asdic in shallow waters, with their fast tides, large rocks and ancient wrecks.

SH3 does not model the failure of Asdic in shallow water at all. This mod changes asdic capability according to the depth of the sea. Specifically, the ‘minimum surfaces’ (MinSurface, MS) of asdics (original values found in file ‘AI_Sensors.dat’) are now changed according to sea-depth in four bands :

Depth > 150m: MS = 100 (m2, metres squared).
Depth >100m: MS = 150.
Depth >50m: MS = 200.
Depth < 50m: MS = 300.

The ‘MinSurface’ refers to the amount of U-boat hull (in square metres) that must be impacted by the Asdic ping, if the warship sending the ping is to get a detection echo. These changes are not dependent on the year, they will apply throughout the war. Now you can prowl around the British Isles with much less chance of being detected.

It is necessary to use a single unique value for asdic minimum surfaces in AI_sensors.dat in all the supermods, if this mod is to function. The unique value of 100.0 has long been used in NYGM, and appears effective in practice. Other supermods may use different figures, for Asdic ‘MinSurface’, and these will need to be changed in the super-mods’ AI_Sensors.dat file (found in silenthunteriii\data\library). For example, both the stock SH3 game and GWX have values for MinSurface of 0.0.

A list of the Asdics is given below:
QGAA, QC1A, QCeA, 147A, 144A, 128A, 123A.
Unfortunately, you cannot change these values in a text editor. You must use a data editor, such as TimeTraveller’s ‘FileAnalyzer’, or Skywas’s ‘Sd3Ditor’. FileAnalyzer is easier to use for this purpose.

Once these changes to MinSurface have been made, then install your new AI_Sensors.dat file to replace your original file. The mod will now be active. Alternatively, you can disable the Shallowwaters Mod with the Options Selector."

LINK : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217396

Nota Bene : First, you have to patch a fresh copy of SH3.exe with H.sie's V16B1 patch-kit. All explanations in the link and in Readme files !

If you want to keep a normal copy of SH3.exe (non patched), you should use S3F : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...12&postcount=4

LINK for H.sie hardcode fixes : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 03:55 AM   #8
CjStaal
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
Stiebler wrote a patch for SH3, in which there is the option that allows your Sub to be less detected by the asdic (sonar) in shallow waters.

From the README :

"It was always much harder to detect U-boats with asdic in shallow waters than in deep water, due to tides, wrecks, rocks and similar. From October 1944 - May 1945, U-boats with schnorchels patrolled very close to land around the British Isles, the so-called ‘Inshore Campaign’, relying for their protection on the poor detection ability of Asdic in shallow waters, with their fast tides, large rocks and ancient wrecks.

SH3 does not model the failure of Asdic in shallow water at all. This mod changes asdic capability according to the depth of the sea. Specifically, the ‘minimum surfaces’ (MinSurface, MS) of asdics (original values found in file ‘AI_Sensors.dat’) are now changed according to sea-depth in four bands :

Depth > 150m: MS = 100 (m2, metres squared).
Depth >100m: MS = 150.
Depth >50m: MS = 200.
Depth < 50m: MS = 300.

The ‘MinSurface’ refers to the amount of U-boat hull (in square metres) that must be impacted by the Asdic ping, if the warship sending the ping is to get a detection echo. These changes are not dependent on the year, they will apply throughout the war. Now you can prowl around the British Isles with much less chance of being detected.

It is necessary to use a single unique value for asdic minimum surfaces in AI_sensors.dat in all the supermods, if this mod is to function. The unique value of 100.0 has long been used in NYGM, and appears effective in practice. Other supermods may use different figures, for Asdic ‘MinSurface’, and these will need to be changed in the super-mods’ AI_Sensors.dat file (found in silenthunteriii\data\library). For example, both the stock SH3 game and GWX have values for MinSurface of 0.0.

A list of the Asdics is given below:
QGAA, QC1A, QCeA, 147A, 144A, 128A, 123A.
Unfortunately, you cannot change these values in a text editor. You must use a data editor, such as TimeTraveller’s ‘FileAnalyzer’, or Skywas’s ‘Sd3Ditor’. FileAnalyzer is easier to use for this purpose.

Once these changes to MinSurface have been made, then install your new AI_Sensors.dat file to replace your original file. The mod will now be active. Alternatively, you can disable the Shallowwaters Mod with the Options Selector."

LINK : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217396

Nota Bene : First, you have to patch a fresh copy of SH3.exe with H.sie's V16B1 patch-kit. All explanations in the link and in Readme files !

If you want to keep a normal copy of SH3.exe (non patched), you should use S3F : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...12&postcount=4

LINK for H.sie hardcode fixes : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225
I see this modified executable has much more than just that feature. Am I able to enable and disable features that I do and do not want?
Old 07-28-15, 05:09 AM   #9
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I see this modified executable has much more than just that feature. Am I able to enable and disable features that I do and do not want?
I think so, because there is an Options Selector to determine which mods you want ON or OFF. I'm currently downloading these patches to try them. So, i'll see if it's ok.
Old 07-28-15, 08:21 AM   #10
Rambler241
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

CjStaal enquired:
Quote:
Also, how can I have a view of my sub underwater? The freeview just puts my camera at the surface.
Hit F1 to get a list of keyboard controls. The controls and keyboard layout are also in SH3_QRC_EN.pdf (EN = english) in the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\documentation folder.

When in freeview, use numpad (NUMLOCK on) 7 to raise, and 1 to lower the camera. In freeview, "." and "," cycle through visible units - hit "." once and you'll see a side view of your boat. Use navigation keys (arrow keys) to move view up/down etc. Also, if there's sufficient light, raise the observation 'scope a little, and tilt the view to see the seabed. In some areas, the seabed is stony or rocky - bottoming on that in RL at any speed would inevitably cause some damage, in SH3 it's fatal. Remember the quote from Das Boot? "The gods left a shovel full of sand to keep us up".

The key to bottoming out successfully is low speed - 1 knot or less (less is more!), levelled out before issuing a lower depth command, or you'll hit the seabed bow down, as many SH3 fans know to their cost. When ready to rise off the bottom, call for a higher depth with motors stopped, or you'll just scrape along, and leave more than just hull anti-fouling paint on the seabed. Once you're a few metres up, off you go again.

Incidentally, it's the crewman on the right of the planesmen in the control room (with all the valves and pipes) who controls buoyancy, and so allows the boat to rise or sink with no speed on. I doubt it makes the slightest difference in SH3, but I ensure an experienced man is at that post.
Old 07-28-15, 08:33 AM   #11
Kip336
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler241 View Post
CjStaal enquired:
Incidentally, it's the crewman on the right of the planesmen in the control room (with all the valves and pipes) who controls buoyancy, and so allows the boat to rise or sink with no speed on. I doubt it makes the slightest difference in SH3, but I ensure an experienced man is at that post.

Seeing I've been bottoming my sub a lot on purpose lately (I like...playing..with destroyers), I'll be testing this tonight!
Kip336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:20 AM   #12
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
In fact, after installing H.Sie patch, i realize that S3F is not necessary at all. I think rather that S3F is especially usefull when we have different supermods installed, and when we want to play sometimes with one and sometimes with another, without uninstalling the first.
Old 07-28-15, 03:09 PM   #13
CjStaal
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler241 View Post
CjStaal enquired:

Hit F1 to get a list of keyboard controls. The controls and keyboard layout are also in SH3_QRC_EN.pdf (EN = english) in the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\documentation folder.

When in freeview, use numpad (NUMLOCK on) 7 to raise, and 1 to lower the camera. In freeview, "." and "," cycle through visible units - hit "." once and you'll see a side view of your boat. Use navigation keys (arrow keys) to move view up/down etc. Also, if there's sufficient light, raise the observation 'scope a little, and tilt the view to see the seabed. In some areas, the seabed is stony or rocky - bottoming on that in RL at any speed would inevitably cause some damage, in SH3 it's fatal. Remember the quote from Das Boot? "The gods left a shovel full of sand to keep us up".

The key to bottoming out successfully is low speed - 1 knot or less (less is more!), levelled out before issuing a lower depth command, or you'll hit the seabed bow down, as many SH3 fans know to their cost. When ready to rise off the bottom, call for a higher depth with motors stopped, or you'll just scrape along, and leave more than just hull anti-fouling paint on the seabed. Once you're a few metres up, off you go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip336 View Post
Seeing I've been bottoming my sub a lot on purpose lately (I like...playing..with destroyers), I'll be testing this tonight!
Wait... What you're saying is that it is possible to bottom out in SH3 without taking damage if you're careful enough?
Old 07-28-15, 03:12 PM   #14
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

this mod helps (you might have to transfer the idea to your own files):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=957

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 04:17 PM   #15
Kip336
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Wait... What you're saying is that it is possible to bottom out in SH3 without taking damage if you're careful enough?

No, I've been taking (small) damage to. Ill be testing if using a qualified helmsman petty officer will help your sub dive/rise faster then when using a normal sailor.
Kip336 is offline   Reply With Quote