SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-15, 06:16 PM   #31
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Ok for you hot rods out there,, the pt 109 that is here lacks a torpedo room ,, to add,, open the pt mod go to data/submarine/nss-pt-109/nss-pt-109 UPC file .....
Thanks Yubba, this is helpful.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 07:52 PM   #32
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default deck guns another matter

for some odd satanist reason the author of the pt 109 mod chose to have two deck gun mounts,,using the single 40mm which would have been fine if the bow mount would have been closer to the cabin instead of way forward on the bow,, which doesn't look realistic in my opinion plus it makes me sea sick,, the only way to rid of this is to go to data libairy sub parts and delete the single 40mm giving you no deck gun at all but cleans the boat up nicely,, some how I managed to get the daul 40mm on the stern how I did that is a mystery.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 12:23 PM   #33
yubba
Admiral

Default this is where it started

there isn't much techincal stuff here so you see what I had to work with, modders are worst than pirates they don't give up their secrets easily,,, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...138319&page=11
Old 06-23-15, 11:13 AM   #34
Riken19
Swabbie

Downloads: 600
Uploads: 0

Well well now. My thread just got hijacked....

To those who were waitning and wanting to know, I am going back through the process or reinstating the original docs with each and every mod. Long process to locate all mind you so please be patient.

Next step is securing permissions for each mod...again even longer process. Now on that note, how long should I wait for a response on each request? Modders, I need your help on this because I don't want another forest fire. Some haven't been around for quite some time and some are here reciently.
Riken19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-15, 12:33 PM   #35
yubba
Admiral

Default sorry about that ole chap

sometimes I get asked a question I get alittle long winded,,, I was really interested in that Arizona mod,,,to bad I didn't get a chance to downloaded it,, just got out of the pilot seat of IL-2 thought I'd put out to sea again,, and I came across your thread alittle late it seems,,maybe with your expertise you could get the pt-109 to run in a campaign or point me in the right direction I've drawn a blank on this..

Last edited by yubba; 06-23-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 03:59 PM   #36
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riken19 View Post
Well well now. My thread just got hijacked....

To those who were waitning and wanting to know, I am going back through the process or reinstating the original docs with each and every mod. Long process to locate all mind you so please be patient.

Next step is securing permissions for each mod...again even longer process. Now on that note, how long should I wait for a response on each request? Modders, I need your help on this because I don't want another forest fire. Some haven't been around for quite some time and some are here reciently.
just as a fellow member here, I wish to thank you for this, it would be a shame to lose such a source of mods that are a great benefit to all members.

hopefully most of what you had listed can be restored after documentations are restored and permissions received as well as any omissions needed to be made due to denials can be resolved.

ps - I don't really see it as a true thread highjack since there was no content left to the thread after the mods were removed and the thread was kind of dead at that point.

I think this "side discussion" wouldn't have occurred otherwise. members here are just too polite to do that and be rude to you, I think it was just a side discussion created by the topic of discussion. but if you wish, PM me and I could remove those posts.

start a new thread when you are ready and I assure you I will see that it is kept on topic

Last edited by Webster; 06-23-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 08:42 PM   #37
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Default Permission

It's my opinion that with any ship model you're listing (not being a stock model from one of the other SH series games) you need to determine the author/co authors and make an attempt to contact them, asking permission. IF the author states you can not use it freely (or some such wording) you need to contact them. A model may have several authors to its credit......first check the documentation to see who they may be. If you find an e-mail address....this is where you'll try contacting first. Next, search the "Community" menu here on the forum, looking through the "Captain's Roster" for the author/co author(s).....send him/them a Personal Message asking permission. If for some reason he/they refuse, there's your answer....obey it.

If you get no response after a reasonable amount of time, it's my opinion you can use the model but give credit to all involved. I should think two weeks would be long enough to wait on a response (especially if you find the "Last Activity" of the member has been over a year past).

If the documentation with the model states you may use it freely, then you simply list whoever the author/co authors were and that's that. You should realize that very seldom is a mod completed by only one person. Other peoples ideas, specific ways of modifying something, previous modifications, usually go into the make-up of a finished product. You probably don't need to ask their permission, but if a mod credits several people in its creation, list them too for the benefit of the recognition to all. Reading the documentation within the mod should give you an idea of who was working first hand on the project, and who helped in a secondary capacity.

As was pointed out, follow this "recommended" guide from Gizzmoe on what you should do.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-24-15 at 07:10 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 12:13 PM   #38
Riken19
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
sometimes I get asked a question I get alittle long winded,,, I was really interested in that Arizona mod,,,to bad I didn't get a chance to downloaded it,, just got out of the pilot seat of IL-2 thought I'd put out to sea again,, and I came across your thread alittle late it seems,,maybe with your expertise you could get the pt-109 to run in a campaign or point me in the right direction I've drawn a blank on this..
No problem there sir. It was ment to be a ha ha thing. Please go on with the talks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
hopefully most of what you had listed can be restored after documentations are restored and permissions received as well as any omissions needed to be made due to denials can be resolved.
Well, I do have to say that I have been receiving some flak on this already. Warnings mainly. Most are saying that I already tried to upload and that failed to work so doing it again wont help. If a team of modders got together on a ship or even just 2 people, then I need 100% permission before proceeding from each person involved in the mod. I have an idea that would hopefully put an end to all the flak. I'm not standing here with a lighter and a can of gasoline/petrol. I'll explain the idea below the reply quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
I think this "side discussion" wouldn't have occurred otherwise. members here are just too polite to do that and be rude to you, I think it was just a side discussion created by the topic of discussion. but if you wish, PM me and I could remove those posts.
Well, I think it would be a good thing to leave up as a sticky. Just in case another one like me come along, This could be a good warning to use as an example. I'll take one for the team.

===========================================

Ok. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to start off by releasing only the stock 1.4 ships that I setup as playable units. Now there is only 1 mod that I used to assist me in making these playable and I am going to secure permissions from that person(s) first.

The Battleships Campaign Taster V0.6 from Subsim
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...gn+Taster+V0.6

In in it states in the readme:
Quote:
wevbarker2011

*************Permissions************
This mod is free, and none of it may be used for profit
Feel free however, to further develop or use it in another piece of work, so long as I am given appropriate credit for the
origional and you contact me in advance

************Credits****************
This is all my own work
The knowledge I needed to make this that did not come from painstaking experimentation was gleaned from the Subsim forum and
dissection of a multitude of mods downloaded from there
I used Silent 3ditor and notepad and SH4 Mission Editor only to create this mod, and I am indebted to Skwas for s3d in
particular.
The ships used in that mod is the base lines of my playable ships. For now, those are the only ships that are going to be used as the ball get rolling. So let me be clear, If it's in the stock 1.4 game....That's all that going to be uploaded on my end at this time.

I will report back when I have more information on this.
Old 06-24-15, 01:12 PM   #39
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riken19
The Battleships Campaign Taster V0.6 from Subsim
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...gn+Taster+V0.6

In in it states in the readme:

Quote:

wevbarker2011

*************Permissions************
This mod is free, and none of it may be used for profit
Feel free however, to further develop or use it in another piece of work, so long as I am given appropriate credit for the
original and you contact me in advance

************Credits****************
This is all my own work
The knowledge I needed to make this that did not come from painstaking experimentation was gleaned from the Subsim forum and
dissection of a multitude of mods downloaded from there
I used Silent 3ditor and notepad and SH4 Mission Editor only to create this mod, and I am indebted to Skwas for s3d in
particular.

The ships used in that mod is the base lines of my playable ships. For now, those are the only ships that are going to be used as the ball get rolling. So let me be clear, If it's in the stock 1.4 game....That's all that going to be uploaded on my end at this time.
Here's my take on using wevbarker2011 models as he states in his README.

1. You can freely use them as long as you aren't asking for money with your project.

2. He asks to be contacted in advance of your intentions, and of course, he asks for you to give him the appropriate credit.

Simple enough.

I see he's not been an active member with SubSim since last posting in August 2012. So, send him a PM and give it a reasonable amount of time for him to respond. If he doesn't respond to your intentions.....do as he states: Feel free however, to further develop or use it in another piece of work.

As I pointed out about modding in my other post, he relied on other folks work to help him finish his mod: .....Knowledge.....was gleaned from the Subsim forum and dissection of a multitude of mods.

Whose mods did he dissect? Who knows?! If he didn't give credit to them....well, no one is the wiser. Like I said, we share knowledge with each other, what's important is to give credit where credit is due.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-24-15 at 01:19 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 03:33 PM   #40
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the way I see it, all you need is the permission from the person who released the mod and posted it for download.

this person already had permission to share this work so he has "proxy" to give permission for the work to be used and you don't have to "go to the source" for everything in the mod.

I would still give credits to all I know to give credits to just as common politeness
Old 06-25-15, 02:02 AM   #41
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

hmm i have test some ships and my results are ...first you cant have acess to deck gun or anti aircraft gun and second you cannot fix any damage....
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 12:00 PM   #42
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

...permissions...

don't punch this guy so hard as you all know that are not really necessary

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 11:16 AM   #43
Riken19
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthos View Post
hmm i have test some ships and my results are ...first you cant have acess to deck gun or anti aircraft gun and second you cannot fix any damage....
Yes. I had disabled those because some of the guns caused problems so rather than loose some, I disabled all of them or most of them. I got to thinking about that too...Your the captain of a ship, you have gunners to do that job. Yeah its kinda fun to try and shoot the little and big guns, but normally on a ship with that many crews, you're hands are already full just being in command. If there was a mod to target multiple enemy ships, this would be perfect.

But if I am to upload, these will all have to be restored to original. I'm beginning to think that it might be better to post the steps I used to make these. That way people can do this on their own and I don't have to upload anything and people can make it any way they want for their personal game.

To actually convert a ship takes me about and 1-2 hours depending on simplicity.

To type up instructions will probally take awhile due to upcoming holidays and my job. using talk to text might speed it up a little but that's the idea.

These topics got me going if you're interested while you're waiting:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165965
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204594
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109854
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=Silent+3ditor

If your wanting to just change guns, then its listed under your ships EQP file.

I edited the first post with links (NOT MINE) to playable 1.4 ships.

Last edited by Riken19; 06-26-15 at 11:56 AM.