SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-07, 11:03 AM   #16
Bulkhead
中国水兵

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 0

Thanks submariners, nice pics.

I guess theres no "step in to my office" onboard these subs...
Old 11-06-07, 12:55 AM   #17
Ridgeback
Seaman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed
...Midget subs never attacked US subs that I know of. Given their limited range (they had electric motors only) they were usually used in harbour raids and not on the open sea. Rather an ineffective weapon given their dismal war record. Kaitens did a little better.
I'm reading 'Thunder Below' by Eugene Fluckey (Commander of USS Barb in 1944-1945). In that he refers to a number of occasions of when he and other wolfpack subs were attacked by Japanese midget submarines.

To quote one instance relating to the USS Queenfish during a patrol in the Luzon Strait / South China Sea in 1944:

"With his alert peripheral vision he spotted the impulse bubble from a firing submarine and took split-second action to avoid the oncoming torpedo, Speeding up to 19 knots and deftly paralleling the churning torpedo, he watched it scrape past at about 50 yards, with all hands on the bridge holdeing their breath - or something.

Simultaneously radar picked up a new contact 1000 yards ahead. Elliott (skipper of the Queenfish) instinctively reacted in the third dimension and dived, passing under the midget submarine at 200 feet.

Ed (the wolfpack Commodore) decided that there were too many midget submarines in this area and plucked us out of the fire. We moved west, away from the proximity of close-to-shore bases"

Re: operational use of midget subs, Japanese midget subs penetrated Sydney Harbour during WWII. This summary is taken from the Australian War Memorial website www.awm.gov.au

On the night of 31 May – 1 June 1942, three Japanese midget submarines, launched from larger "mother" submarines lying off the coast, entered Sydney Harbour to attack Allied shipping. Two of the midgets were destroyed, but not before one of them sank the depot ship HMAS Kuttabul (a converted ferry), killing 21 naval ratings. [The intended target was the cruiser USS Chicago]

There is a full midget submarine on display at the War Memorial. It is assembled from sections of two of the three submarines that raided Sydney. The centre and aft sections are from the submarine that set off its demolition charge after it became entangled in the harbour defence boom net. The bow section is from the submarine that was depth-charged in Taylors Bay - its crew shot themselves to avoid capture.

The third midget submarine vanished, its fate a complete mystery until it was discovered by a group of amateur divers off Sydney's northern beaches in November 2006. It was this submarine that had sunk the Kuttabul during the raid.

A more detailed account is found here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/midgetsub/doc.htm

Cheers

Mark
Ridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 04:26 PM   #18
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

That particular mini has a 'new' home.

I remember seeing it in person when it was in Key West and believe me it was 'mini'.

http://starbulletin.com/97/05/07/news/whatever.html
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 02:00 AM   #19
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

more stuff:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...ss/mdg-a-2.htm
Old 08-29-14, 02:52 AM   #20
stezza
Nub

Downloads: 56

Midget submarines breached Sydney Harbor in Australia during WW2
stezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 09:02 PM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

stezza!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 06:12 AM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stezza View Post
Midget submarines breached Sydney Harbor in Australia during WW2
Rgr that and welcome to SubSim

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs192.aspx

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote