SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-17, 08:16 PM   #1
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Question for dev experts--early war stadimeter

This is a question for the SHIII dev experts to see if this a an achievable goal or mission impossible. I would be willing to take on the work to do this if it is possible.

1. Early WWII German subs had the stadimeter on their periscopes. Later war scopes got rid of this in favor of something more simple and less costly and also preferring the binocular viewing option.

2. Goal: create a JSGME enabled add-on which puts a (proper) stadimeter on the basic vanilla game and if successful, work it into popular mods.

3. As we know currently in the stock SHIII game, by ticking a box on the recognition manual for a specific ship, it puts that number as a reference in regard to mast height.

4. I would like a function independent of that where you input in a number in meters. Let us say for the ship I am viewing, I just want to put in a number which might represent the waterline to the top of the superstructure or stack or tip of bow. And then use that as the reference. Right now, if I see a ship that I know has a 25 meter stack from the top to the waterline, I have to sift through the recognition manual until I find something with a 25 meter high mast to waterline and tick that box.

I can do all my fire control without a stadimeter, but it would be a nice capability to have for others new to the game or not new to the game that would like it.

5. I would be willing to forgo having a graphical stereoscopic image match up like what is in Silent Hunter IV for this one capability.

6. "Don't come to me with a problem without offering a solution". I would be willing to do this work however based on sage and grey-haired devs here, if it is a dead end to attempt it, than so be it.

7. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or opinions.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 08:35 PM   #2
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0

The most simple quick fix I could think of for this would be to rejig the recognition manual to where it is only a graphic that you tick a box for the height of the object you want to declare.

Let us say for heights of objects running from 10m to 50m.

So, I look at something off in the distance and decide it is a 28 meter high stack. I like that and want to use that as my reference.

I then click on what used to be the recognition manual and tick a box for 28 meters. That feeds to the existing stock SHIII stadimeter and good to go.

Far from perfect.

Then I guess we would just view the recognition manual as a pdf on... a smart phone or tablet.

Overly simplistic I know but *a* kind of step forward.

Would still have to battle the silliness of the scope having to be "locked" to the target.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 01:10 PM   #3
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Leoz,

this old mod might help you:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1611

Best, LGN1