SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-07, 12:04 PM   #91
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav87th
I have printed on Overhead Projector transparents and i had those laminated with a heavy lamination.

That is really rigid and still transparent like glass. And the printing is sharp and crisp.

Only the biggest (background wheel) wheel is printed on a thick paper and heavy laminated.
How did you laminate those overhead projector transparencies without having the ink smeared?
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 03:15 PM   #92
XanderF
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I am thinking about creating a version for SH3, simplified and with metres as units, as well as with Kriegsmarine emblems. Any interest?
Would be fun to have, but...how historical? I'm only aware of the US using a device like an "is-was". Certainly, the math is simple enough, but...did the KM actually have an analog to this, or just use sliderules?
Old 04-30-07, 06:35 PM   #93
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

@XanderF:

Here's what the Kriegsmarine used:

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 08:06 PM   #94
XanderF
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 14

Oh, now, see, that's ten times as spiffy!

EDIT: Hmm...don't see anything for the speed solution, though? Does it have a back?
Old 04-30-07, 08:47 PM   #95
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Woah is that yours don?
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 03:33 AM   #96
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav87th
I have printed on Overhead Projector transparents and i had those laminated with a heavy lamination.

That is really rigid and still transparent like glass. And the printing is sharp and crisp.

Only the biggest (background wheel) wheel is printed on a thick paper and heavy laminated.
How did you laminate those overhead projector transparencies without having the ink smeared?
I went to a Copying house company - they did a marvelous job for very small money. NOTHING is smeard at all.
Old 05-01-07, 07:18 AM   #97
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

I wish it was mine (German Is-Was). I don't have a clue of whats on the flip side.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 05-01-07, 07:20 AM   #98
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Here's what the Kriegsmarine used:
Great picture, do you have more?

Only problem I have found is that because unfortunately the german TDC in SH3 is wrongly represented (AOB input instead of target course input) I must conform the wiz-wheel to give as output what you actually plug into your SH3 TDC, and not what was really plugged into the real german one. So I will make something a bit hybrid between german and US methods:hmm:

FYI I have started a thread in the SH3 forum announcing I'll do a wiz wheel for SH3, so keep an eye on that one.
Old 05-01-07, 01:22 PM   #99
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

No more pics. Found the German Is-Was pic in an obscure book on modern Subs. I believe the Germans were more into using sliderules and trig, based on all I could find. There may yet be some hidden treasure out there that someone will share with us. Good luck with the model for SH3.

~ George Orwell
Old 05-01-07, 02:29 PM   #100
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Interestingly, because trigonometry is the same all over the world, the germans made wiz wheels that are near exact matches to the US ones. Take a look at this edited pic I posted also in the SH3 IS-WAS thread:

Every item of the Submarine Attack Course Fnder MK3 is there:

-Outer ring with inverted scale for target bearing (The white inverted triangle on the magent background, up in the image, is the bow of the U-Boot, where the true course ring must be aligned with) + Transparent layer to represent periscope/Uzo bearing

-Middle wheel for true course of both own ship and target

-Inside wheel for target AOB

-The only thing it adds as extra is the ring for the track angle:hmm:

I bet that the reverse side of this wheel is also nearly exact to the Submarine Attack Course Fnder MK3
Old 05-01-07, 06:20 PM   #101
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

I don't doubt it for a minute, Hitman. Hopefully, someone out in www would grace us with the flip side.

...at any rate, I was very much impressed with the strudy construction techniques. It was made to last unprotected.

cheers,

~ George Orwell
Old 05-04-07, 03:33 AM   #102
CeeBee
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Any other download places?

This is for Captain Crunch & Hitman: thanks for your excellent work on the Is-Was! I read this thread through and would really have use for the excellent tool(s) you've done. I tried to use RapidShare to download the files, but I am constantly running into ridiculous download waiting times of over two hrs, then when I get almost to 0 waiting time, the timer is reset again to 120 minutes - or I get an error message claiming that I have another download ongoing already although I actually haven't.

So please please, if you or someone else can find another place to host the files for me to get, my eternal gratitude would be yours!
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:19 PM   #103
DirtyHarry3033
Weps

Downloads: 0

Thanks to Captain Krunch and Hitman for this great Is-Was Have spent a very enjoyable afternoon building it, now comes the fun part - learning how to use it!

I went all-out on making it, using 110 lb card stock and inkjet transparencies, then took it all to Office Depot to have them laminated in the heavy stuff. Jeez, I spent more on this than SH4 cost to start with I must be sick, is there a 12-step program to get off subsimming?!?!?!

(Course I also did Kim Ronhof's fine tools too so that increased the laminating costs...)

Now, there are only 2 things I don't like about Hitman's side of the Is-Was (note that no criticism is implied here, I appreciate his work and there's no way I could have done it myself!):
  1. For some reason, the outermost circle on the inner and middle wheel did not print for the most part. This made it very difficult for me to cut it out accurately since there was no clear line to follow - 43 years ago in kindergarten, I consistently failed the work where you had to cut the construction paper along the lines :rotfl::rotfl:Also it wasn't a printer problem as the lines don't show up clearly on screen either.
  2. As a couple others have said, it don't print the same size as Captain Krunch's front side.
I fixed both of those problems, I loaded the inner and middle wheel into Paint Shop Pro 9 and made a new outermost circle for them. They print great now, much easier to cut out!

I also found that (on my hardware anyway...) by printing in PSP9 and scaling all Hitman's wheels up to 106%, it is a near-perfect fit for Captain Krunch's wheel.

If anyone is interested and if Hitman would give his OK, I'd be glad to provide him with the modified inner and middle wheels to include in his package. The only thing I changed is to make a clear outer circle on them so they're easier to cut out accurately.

How about it Hitman, wanna take a look at them? If you do, PM me and I'll be glad to send you both the PSP and .bmp files

DH
DirtyHarry3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 12:59 AM   #104
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
I also found that (on my hardware anyway...) by printing in PSP9 and scaling all Hitman's wheels up to 106%, it is a near-perfect fit for Captain Krunch's wheel.

If anyone is interested and if Hitman would give his OK, I'd be glad to provide him with the modified inner and middle wheels to include in his package. The only thing I changed is to make a clear outer circle on them so they're easier to cut out accurately.
Sure, just upload them wherever you want and add a readme with your modifications . The funny thing is that they print perfectly in my hardware and some people have reported that the difference is 96% instead of 106%

That will also probably help CeeBee getting them.
Old 05-10-07, 07:35 AM   #105
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Howdy, Hitman.

I may be behind the "curve" on this, but,

Using your side of the Submarine Attack Course Finder/Is Was (SACF), and in reality it is nothing more than a Circular Sliderule with Sine scale only, it can also be used as an ASPECT RATIO (AR) tool:

As we know, all the AR are based on a 90° AoB.

1) After IDing the target ship and obtaining it's AR, adjust the center wheel of the SACF, placing the 90° mark under the AR of the target.

2) After obtaining new AR thru objective lens of the scope, use the clear cursor, sliding it to the new AR and reading the Aob under it.

Using the "Tool" eliminates any pause-the-game math.

Here's a pic:

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 05-10-07 at 08:07 AM.