SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-05, 12:24 PM   #16
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

This is really great news. If I manage to get the hang of this it will be easy to release the Merchant Variety Pack with paint schemes based on nationality. I'll try this ASAP.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 02:22 PM   #17
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

well, having a go but not finding it easy to follow
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 03:13 PM   #18
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Having trouble finding the identifiers, no prob once I have found them, as there are 23 other instances of it, but finding them is tricky. I assume, if you miss ANY at all, or get it wrong, it will fail and CTD when you run the museum to view it...

Jeez, this is so hit and miss... How do you know the total number. That tool of lubz, does it work? Can it find all the IDs? what is Net.Framework?
Old 07-19-05, 03:55 PM   #19
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

BTW, I can't wait until you post the instructions on how to hex edit (minor) changes to the 3d models. I have some ideas for new merchants, and it would be great to finally add them to the game
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 04:01 PM   #20
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Jace,

I only open a few dat files with lubz's dat tool and it's show to you all the ids for all the 3D parts of the object. Net framework is a microsoft tool, it's also necessary, for example, to run Shoot voice commander or to use the last ATI drivers.

I notice that lubz dat tool is a unfinish work, it only shows the basics but is the only one and the best for now.

Only when we use it a lot we will see all it's potencial. :hmm:

Rubini.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 04:06 PM   #21
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

I guess Net Framework is like Java then or VB, I need an end user version to run Lurbz application?

Ill have a look for it..
Old 07-19-05, 04:08 PM   #22
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

its seems very big file and i'm on slow modem, any chance you could run the tool using the Evarts class, and post me the IDs it produces..
Old 07-19-05, 05:04 PM   #23
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Jace,

Yes it's a big file. I find it (and download&install) at microsoft update site. I think that you have to look at lubz dat tool by your self because it's really a good thing. I don't have time now, but if you really need it I will look in Evarts class to you.

Rubini.
Old 07-19-05, 08:41 PM   #24
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

oh well, i'll leave it till Chris finishes his editor. I now understand how to do it, just need better tools.

Also, what about text strings, unit names that appear in the dat, sim etc? I noticed in the Southampton mod, names are changed from "Fiji" to "Town" INSIDE the dat file. Can you rename like that if Name length differs or not? Do you need to do anything else?
Old 07-20-05, 06:29 AM   #25
Shadow9216
Frogman

Downloads: 91

Well, I can't figure out what I did wrong. I used the dat convert tool to look at all the codes for the Liberator, made a nice spread sheet, then changed the hex codes. Next I did a find and replace using 010 editor, changing all the codes from the old value to my new value. I looked for recurrences of code strings from the dat file in the sim, dsd, and zon files, changing those. Finally I copied the Liberator.tga in tlowres and changed the name to my new file.

Loaded the game, loaded museum, it gets halfway across and freezes. Previously, I got the museum to load and work until I clicked on my clone, when it would crash; now it won't even load.

I think I'm on the right track, but it's hanging up somewhere. Here's my questions:

1) Do I need to change the name from Liberator to Privateer (my clone) in the dat file? Where it says Liberator_small_wing for example, does that need to become Privateer_small_wing?

2) Do I change the chunk id in the zon/sim/dsd, or just those id strings common to the dat file?

3) Does it matter how much of the string I change, or what I change it to? If the string is E3 65 A1 B0 DD 67 00 C5, does F4 56 A2 B0 DD 67 00 C4 work, or do I need to change more/less?

4) For files that change only one character, should I keep the change the same across the board? Using my above example, if 5 files differed merely by one character (in the same position), should I use my changed string, modifying that one character, for each?
Shadow9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 06:57 AM   #26
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Not really qualified to say, as I havent done it successfully yet, but,

Should be ok to rename, serg did it in his files. Same length name so find and replace should work. If you rename the tga in the dat, you have to rename the tga in the texture folder too then. Or if you are importing the tga "INTO" the dat, probably need to get name and file size right.

As I believe the goal is uniqueness for each ID, need to change more than one character I think to be safe.
Old 07-20-05, 07:15 AM   #27
Shadow9216
Frogman

http://home.comcast.net/~yoda9216/liberator_dat.xls

Here's what I tried to do. First one to fix my screwup gets a steak dinner (must travel to Baltimore to redeem prize).
Old 07-20-05, 09:17 AM   #28
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Shadow,

After make a comparative with THE_Orzel first post and the Stuka dat file using the dat tool I think that is easy to do and find what to change, because these two are planes and the structure of the files are the same. Then make the comparative stuff and the things will be more clear to you.

If I have some time I will try it with you.

Rubini.
Old 07-20-05, 09:25 AM   #29
THE_ORZEL
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Shadow from what I can see if I’m not mistaken. From your pic do you mean to say that you replaced?

E3 17 79 34 F6 ED 5B 86 (id) and 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (this doesn’t count an empty tag) and D0 F5 B6 D1 1D A1 EC 9C and AA 9C D0 07 98 80 02 81 you replaced it with this F3 17 79 34 E6 ED 5C AE

If you did that you did it wrong! This is what I’ve been talking about. Guys I will use this above example to finally explain it to you.

E3 17 79 34 F6 ED 5B 86 this is one of multiple id’s in the dat file needs to have unique id !

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 This ignore it .

D0 F5 B6 D1 1D A1 EC 9C This is another id and it may have as many as 20 such id’s in the dat file needs unique id

AA 9C D0 07 98 80 02 81 This needs to be replaced with unique id

Now what you did it Shadow is you’ve just made a very strong tequila shot but not unique clone object. You made it worse than it was, it will never work that way.

If you want I can post all the strings from the liberator for you to replace.

Chris a.k.a. Orzel
THE_ORZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 09:34 AM   #30
Shadow9216
Frogman

Yeah, that occurred to me as well...here's my results:

Copied ORZELs strings as he posted them. Changed them by a one up system (ie: AE 5F 09 becomes BF 6A 10). Used the 010 editor to find and replace the originals with the new ones I created.

First attempt:
Copied ADBJU87Stuka to DBJU87Stuka, changed file names from ADBJU87Stuka.dat to DBJU87Stuka.dat, etc. Changed all character strings. Edited en_names, roster/german/air to include DBJU87Stuka. Result: CTD

2nd attempt: Changed all instances of JU87Stuka to JU87Sturmvogel, all other steps same as previous.
Result: CTD

3rd attempt:
Same as 2nd attempt, but left JU87Stuka.tga in the JU87Stumvogel.dat file, all other steps as in 2 (above)
Result: CTD

I'm running out of ideas. Even Ghandi would be saying "I'm starting to get seriously p*ssed here!"

Help me Orzel-Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope.

What am I missing here? I see the following things that are variables:

a) The hex strings themselves. These need to be changed to something new.
b) References in the dat/sim/dsd/zon to the old model, ie: B24engine (a sound file), JU87Stuka.tga (image file), etc.
c) The names of the modifies files themselves- do they need a completely new name?
d) The cfg file in the country roster- this seems pretty minor
e) The en_names/ge_names which list the model- again pretty minor.

What am I missing?