Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-17, 09:28 PM   #3256
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Another reason not to vote, uh? How many millions of people would that include?

Supreme Court can not be bought ... they are smart enough to see through this.

Fats Domino says it all:
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 06-29-17, 09:35 PM   #3257
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

My state is against getting involved with turning this info over to them. I am glad of that! Apparently they want to make our info public too, great! No chance of identity theft there! They want to go back to check how a person voted too, since 2000, unreal,lol

Al Capone
Old 06-29-17, 10:26 PM   #3258
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Just doing what he was sent there to do. Tired of getting fiscal responsibility beaten by the votes of dead people.
Old 06-29-17, 10:32 PM   #3259
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Maybe the question should have been "Will CNN make it to 2020?"
Old 06-30-17, 06:30 AM   #3260
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
They want to go back to check how a person voted too, since 2000, unreal,lol
And just how would they do that? Ever put your name on a ballot? They're secret you know so while they may be able to tell who voted they can't tell HOW they voted.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 06-30-17, 07:04 AM   #3261
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Since all this information is already given to the political parties as well as used in other social sciences research, I am not seeing a particular problem.

The only private thing about voting is who you vote for. When you voted,where you voted, your voting history and your voter registration information has been available.

But I agree. With the current paranoid attitude about the government, I am sure this will dissuade even more people from registering to vote. And that's not what we need.

Last edited by Platapus; 06-30-17 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 06-30-17, 07:47 AM   #3262
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Just doing what he was sent there to do. Tired of getting fiscal responsibility beaten by the votes of dead people.
You gotta be joking..., I mean I haven't followed too closely, but IIRC the proposed budget had calculation error of 2 trillion $ in it. How can you be fiscally responisble, if can't even get the math right? Besides the GOP loves spending as much as the Dems, they just want to spend on different things
Old 06-30-17, 09:43 AM   #3263
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

US political thread reopened and two other related topics merged.

Can I respectfully ask that we all refrain from personal attacks etc. etc.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-30-17, 11:14 AM   #3264
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
This is a bit disturbing:

Trump’s voter-fraud commission wants to know voting history, party ID and address of every voter in the U.S. --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ad0ae25c549c

Given the disarray and disorganization of the Trump administration, and given the recent breaches of data security, it does not seem the best of ideas to assemble such a mass of data in a centralized locale in what could be a highly questionable state of security and responsibility. Further, given the rather highly rabid partisan bent at the White House, turning over such data to such questionable entities is, at the least, seemingly unwise. At least one state's top election official seems to have this view:

Sad to say, there was little trust in the government before and there is muc less today...
<O>
Don't go off just yet,
Quote:
The letter, sent to the secretaries of state of all 50 states and obtained by The Hill, directs states to turn over “publicly-available voter roll data including, if publicly available under the laws of your state, the full first and last names of all registrants, middle names or initials if available, addresses, dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, [and] voter history from 2006 onward.”
most of that information they are requesting is not publicly avialable
Old 06-30-17, 12:14 PM   #3265
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

I feel we do need some type of intra-state voter registration database. Especially these days when it is much more common for people to move around between states, the old state-centric record keeping may be obsolete.

Personally, I think the appropriate solution is for the individual states to develop their own inter-state data sharing schema without involving the federal government. But if the states are unable or unwilling to do so, I guess it is up to the Federal Government.

Protip to the state governments: If you don't come up with solutions for problems, the federal government will be more than happy to take that responsibility and power away from you.

It is not so much a case of the federal government taking power away from the states as much as a case of the states giving power to the federal government.
Old 06-30-17, 12:47 PM   #3266
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I feel we do need some type of intra-state voter registration database. Especially these days when it is much more common for people to move around between states, the old state-centric record keeping may be obsolete.

Personally, I think the appropriate solution is for the individual states to develop their own inter-state data sharing schema without involving the federal government. But if the states are unable or unwilling to do so, I guess it is up to the Federal Government.

Protip to the state governments: If you don't come up with solutions for problems, the federal government will be more than happy to take that responsibility and power away from you.

It is not so much a case of the federal government taking power away from the states as much as a case of the states giving power to the federal government.
That's the thing, there really isn't a problem, there are anomalies of course. but the inherent protection in our voter system is the fact that the system has over 3000 different points of control which makes it impossible (currently) to steal or effect anything beyond a county election.

This is why the brouhaha over the Russians hacking efforts are more amusing than alarming.
Old 06-30-17, 01:20 PM   #3267
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipertheSniper View Post
Besides the GOP loves spending as much as the Dems, they just want to spend on different things
I absolutely agree, and that is probably a big part of why an "outsider" won the election. I even wish he was frugal in the vein of Warren Buffett, but what can you do.
Old 06-30-17, 06:49 PM   #3268
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
That's the thing, there really isn't a problem, there are anomalies of course. but the inherent protection in our voter system is the fact that the system has over 3000 different points of control which makes it impossible (currently) to steal or effect anything beyond a county election.

This is why the brouhaha over the Russians hacking efforts are more amusing than alarming.
We should demand that Russia turn that information over right now, along with any list of hackers that already know that information or at least will know as soon as it is all in one unsafe place
or achievement

Old 06-30-17, 10:09 PM   #3269
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
We should demand that Russia turn that information over right now, along with any list of hackers that already know that information or at least will know as soon as it is all in one unsafe place
what good will that do? You may as well consider info from Illinois & Arizona public. And if you live in those states, you would be prudent to take what measures you need to to prevent ID theft.
Old 07-01-17, 10:37 AM   #3270
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
what good will that do? You may as well consider info from Illinois & Arizona public. And if you live in those states, you would be prudent to take what measures you need to to prevent ID theft.
I was just kidding ... the Russians will do name matching though after they hack Trump's list and that's the truth.
or achievement

Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter