SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-13, 03:20 PM   #151
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHeretic View Post
FYI, there is table with all lighthouses, which i have: http://www.ucw.cz/~jerome/lighthouses.html (it's BIG, so be prepared for slow load of page!)

Now it's raw data, without any modifications, later there will be visible changes what my scripts and me do for SH3 implementation.
Lighthouses show on the map from Locations.cfg and the LocationName= field.

It would be easy for me to write a script that converts your table to real lighthouses in Locations.cfg so they show in game as models of lighthouses and show on the nav map.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 04:30 PM   #152
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

For me it's easy too. But at first is needed clean this horrible mess to relevant only.
And except it, it's not so easy. There are lightboats too, there are groups of lighthouses in ports which are not in SH3. And lighthouses in table are not coresponding to piers in ports in SH3. Piers in SH3 are defined by model, location and orientation. Is needed to write script, which is counting everything this... And there is much more about it - underground lighthouses, flying lighthouses, lighthouses which are in game now, i must write script for extracting ingame lighthouses, and so on...
Take time... is needed to continue step by step. The worst job was creating of this list (two months of work). Rest is "only" a few of data sorting and a bit of programing.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 04:39 PM   #153
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
For me it's easy too. But at first is needed clean this horrible mess to relevant only.
And except it, it's not so easy. There are lightboats too, there are groups of lighthouses in ports which are not in SH3. And lighthouses in table are not coresponding to piers in ports in SH3. Piers in SH3 are defined by model, location and orientation. Is needed to write script, which is counting everything this... And there is much more about it - underground lighthouses, flying lighthouses, lighthouses which are in game now, i must write script for extracting ingame lighthouses, and so on...
Take time... is needed to continue step by step. The worst job was creating of this list (two months of work). Rest is "only" a few of data sorting and a bit of programing.
I do see the piers as an issue, and then place a lighthouse at the end of a pier. Is there a lightboat model in the game?

And, why is the creation and placement of lighthouses for you so important?
Old 12-18-13, 04:46 PM   #154
areo16
Sonar Guy

If I were you I would create script to place all lighthouses in emply locations.cf file. Then look to see if all are placed on land, correctly. If so, then move on to the piers.

Have you tried scripting this: http://www.ucw.cz/~jerome/lighthouses.html

into locations.cfg?
Old 12-18-13, 05:22 PM   #155
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

1. I already have a script, which can put X marks to map, where lighthouses are located.

2. "Then look to see if all are placed on land, correctly." - It means not only generate locations file, it means generate single mission for every lighthouse, load this mission and check if lighthouse is realy OK. And no, i will do not manual check of 23779 lighthouses, i'm not crazy and life is too short for it. :-)

3. There's no ingame lightboats, but user AG124 create this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=805
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=129

4. Why it's so important? Because after a week of long storm, when coming near to land, you have error in location where you think where you are and where you realy are about 100 km. And coast is everywhere the same... you see a land, but you realy don't know, where you exactly are.
And (depend on mods you have) when you travel in dark, stormy night, lighthouses are only point of navigation. In some mods you have no chance to see a land. You detect it only by crash. God bless to lighthouses in this situation. :-)
Old 12-18-13, 05:46 PM   #156
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
1. I already have a script, which can put X marks to map, where lighthouses are located.
The lighthouse script you have doesn't place the lighthouses in the save game .map files, does it? Because that is not a good idea.

Quote:
2. "Then look to see if all are placed on land, correctly." - It means not only generate locations file, it means generate single mission for every lighthouse, load this mission and check if lighthouse is realy OK. And no, i will do not manual check of 23779 lighthouses, i'm not crazy and life is too short for it. :-)
Then how are you going to check every lighthouse?
Old 12-18-13, 06:33 PM   #157
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by areo16 View Post
Then how are you going to check every lighthouse?
I don't know. And not solving this problem at this moment. As i wrote before - is needed to continue step by step. Now I'm selecting good data.

Write to .map file is good enough for now. And what's the best is, that by this method i can correct position of some lighthouses in game by moving it with mouse click and SH3 engine recalculate coordinates for me automaticaly. After new save i can read corrected coordinates from .map file (or i hope so..).
Old 12-18-13, 07:29 PM   #158
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I don't know. And not solving this problem at this moment. As i wrote before - is needed to continue step by step. Now I'm selecting good data.

Write to .map file is good enough for now. And what's the best is, that by this method i can correct position of some lighthouses in game by moving it with mouse click and SH3 engine recalculate coordinates for me automaticaly. After new save i can read corrected coordinates from .map file (or i hope so..).
It is good idea during development to use .map for locations but you should not release it using .map. Because there are other mods out there that need .map and use it, like SH3 Dynamic Campaign.
Old 12-18-13, 07:34 PM   #159
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

But i don't know better solution. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-13, 07:44 PM   #160
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
But i don't know better solution. Any ideas?
Use .map for development and adjusting coordinates, but just before release create script to grab coordinates from .map file and put the units in Locations.cfg.
Old 12-18-13, 08:40 PM   #161
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Of course. If it's not in location file, it's not in game. But still i need to see lighthouse location in map, without it are lighthouses completely useless.
And i don't know any other method how can do it visible in map. That's what i'm asking for.
Old 12-18-13, 10:02 PM   #162
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Well, duplications are disabled (not all are realy duplications, usualy are close enough), next step will be sorting to groups port by port and reducing groups to single lighthouses.
lighthouses.html regenerated. Actual statistics:

All: 23779 Enabled: 13037 Disabled: 10742

Im tired, now go to sleep. I think it was enough for one day. :-)
Old 12-18-13, 10:13 PM   #163
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Well, duplications are disabled (not all are realy duplications, usualy are close enough), next step will be sorting to groups port by port and reducing groups to single lighthouses.
lighthouses.html regenerated. Actual statistics:

All: 23779 Enabled: 13037 Disabled: 10742

Im tired, now go to sleep. I think it was enough for one day. :-)
The LocationName= field in Locations.cfg gives label to lighthouses on map.
Old 12-18-13, 10:24 PM   #164
areo16
Sonar Guy

You mean on the nav map? Not the scenario editor.

That would be unrealistic! A navigator isn't going to mark the spot of all lighthouses on his nav map at the start of every patrol!
Old 12-19-13, 01:15 AM   #165
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Lighthouses are common in navy map of course. With height over the sea level for triangulation of distance (not possible in SH3, because height can be measured only on locked object and is possibly lock only boat).
In reality are almanac of lighthouses, with specifications about lighting (lighthouses are flashing in different colors and patterns).
So in reality navigator is not marking lighthouses to the map. In reality they are allready printed on the map...