SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-15, 12:28 AM   #16
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

My idea would be to have a vid sequence with a newspaper headline about V-J Day, and a little article related to US subs being sent home, most to be mothballed. Then your sub coming back under the Golden Gate Bridge, with fireworks, cheering crowds and banners around. Finally your service record, and decorations shown. Maybe fading out with that famous photo of the sailor kissing the girl in Times Square.

Does anyone know if anything like this could be modded?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 02:43 AM   #17
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

Yuppers, TorpX. I agree with that kind of fanfare. It would be nice if it were possible.

Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 09:50 PM   #18
YonMaruIchi
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

"If you made it to this screen you didn't live dangerously enough"
YonMaruIchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 01:05 AM   #19
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon U-48 View Post

LoL you call that a very good job? Anyone can pull that off playing easy mode on the stock game. Your accomplishments don't really amount to that much considering all the traffic in the stock game and unlimited fuel. You want a real challange download the tmo mod and play with some actual realism.
It seems we have a lot of sanctimonious commenters here. Firstly, I don't play the game in "easy" mode. I play it at the "normal" setting. Secondly, I always use the "limited fuel" option, as well as "limited compressed air" and "realistic reload time".
SH4 is a game. The object is to have fun. Anyone who believes they are experiencing even a remotely close approximation of what it was really like to skipper a WWII fleet submarine, no matter what mods they use, is both naive and delusional.
SeaviewSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 01:06 AM   #20
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
My idea would be to have a vid sequence with a newspaper headline about V-J Day, and a little article related to US subs being sent home, most to be mothballed. Then your sub coming back under the Golden Gate Bridge, with fireworks, cheering crowds and banners around. Finally your service record, and decorations shown. Maybe fading out with that famous photo of the sailor kissing the girl in Times Square.

That would be excellent.
Old 03-29-15, 01:10 AM   #21
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
Sea Demon has a good point Seaview. On easy there are ships everywhere & racking up impressive tonnage is relatively easy. If you are enjoying yourself then all the better but if you really want to step into the shoes of the submariners of old then I suggest you crank up the realism & add some mods.

I presently use TMO & RSRD & plucking a single tanker out of a convoy & then successfully evading the merciless depth charging I find extremely satisfying.

It will require a greater level of commitment on your part but in return you will be rewarded with a greater sense of immersion & satisfaction from the sim. If you prefer to avoid the challenge then thats fine, to each his own but then please dont trumpet your tonnage as some significant success. It obvious that some will take umbrage at it, moreover the analogy could be made that you are in a Destroyer & the rest of us in a whale boat armed with only a 45.
Please see my reply to "Sea Demon". I wasn't "trumpeting" anything. I was responding to a ridiculous comment by "merc4ulfate". To partially reiterate, SH4 is a GAME. It is, in no way, even remotely close to the real experience of skippering a fleet boat in WWII, no matter what mods you use. So, many of the pompous armchair captains I see commenting here need to calm down. Self-importance and being full of ones self is very unappealing.

Last edited by SeaviewSkipper; 03-29-15 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-29-15, 01:18 AM   #22
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
I don't think you guys understand what this thread is about. It's not about how good Seaview was, it's the fact that he feels that at the end of your career, you should get a summary of your career; something I agree with him on.

By the way, Sea Demon, when we say 'be more aggressive', we're talking about hunting enemy ships, not talking to people on the forum.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. The only reason I listed my "accomplishments" was to address an arrogant, ridiculous comment by "merc4ulfate". I'm surprised by the pompous attitude of many people here.
Old 03-29-15, 01:19 AM   #23
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Not quite the same but there is this cool tool. It edits saves, but the is another program called SH4 Report included that can produce a detailed report of your saves:
That sounds interesting. Thanks.
Old 04-01-15, 08:40 AM   #24
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default SH3 Commander

There is a bit of lunchbag letdown at the end of the war and a simple 'splash screen' with VJ-Day news would have been nice. A simple summary of your career and a "Capt soandso went on to a happy retirement/full career.....after the war....."

It also reminds me of how nice it would have been to have an SH4 version of SH3 Commander which was an excellent little addition to SH3.

I farted around with Visual Basic for a little while to try and do something similar but simply don't have enough experience to produce something worthwhile.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 09:12 AM   #25
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Downloads: 21

Would be nice to get a final mission to sail into Tokyo Bay for the ceremony, especially with as much iron as we all put on the bottom the sea.
Pigboatcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 09:25 AM   #26
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaviewSkipper View Post
It seems we have a lot of sanctimonious commenters here.
Not really. Being new, you weren't around for the UBISoft forums' "Million Tons Club". We had dozens of gamers bragging about tonnage which would have made real captains green with envy. It got so bad that when it started to spread here we let them know that this wasn't the same kind of forum. The members making the comments that offended you the most were around in those days and, while they may have overreacted, it was not without reason.

Quote:
So, many of the pompous armchair captains I see commenting here need to calm down. Self-importance and being full of ones self is very unappealing.
What was pompous or self-important about the comments? From their point of view you were the one making the noise. Please don't get me wrong when I say that. Your point of view is perfectly valid, and the point you were making about being recognized for your accomplishments is a good one. The game should have a better ending. SH1 certainly did, and that was almost twenty years ago.

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. The only reason I listed my "accomplishments" was to address an arrogant, ridiculous comment by "merc4ulfate". I'm surprised by the pompous attitude of many people here.
I thought you listed your accomplishments before that comment, to illustrate the futility of the game not rewarding them.

As to the comments themselves, I didn't say anything at the time because they seemed to be jokes to me, more humorous than critical.

On the other hand I feel the same way when someone talks about millions of tons. You're right, it is just a game. "Reality" never enters the equation. "Realism", however, has nothing to do with reality. It involves how "real" we can make the game feel. When I'm playing SH3 or SH4 I tend to think of a twenty thousand ton patrol as a good one. I also tend to start rolling dice after my sixth patrol to see how soon I'm retired to a desk job.

I've been playing tabletop wargames for almost forty years and computer wargames for about thirty. I'm not a gamer, in that I don't play the latest, greatest games just because they are there. I'm a history buff, and a machinery buff, and I only play games that let me feel like I'm flying a plane or sailing a ship. One of the biggest arguments in wargaming, especially ship wargaming, is "realism" vs "gameplay". On the tabletop the more "realistic" you make a game the more difficult it becomes to play. And of course nothing can ever make it actually be real. In the place of "realism" I like to substitute the word "feel". Does it "feel" real? That's the real question. Those of us who lean toward wanting the game to "feel" real tend to get our backs up when someone else talks about just shooting stuff. We also find that in the atmosphere of people playing in the same room those two attitudes tend to grate on each other.

In the world of internet forums, where people can't see each others' faces, it takes on a whole different shape. I have to admit that at first sight your comments on tonnage also looked to me like bragging. I didn't comment because I didn't think it appropriate. I still don't.

I think that maybe the players who posted the rudest comments should apologize for overreacting. On the other hand from your reaction to those comments I think that perhaps it is you who needs to calm down. They were contentious, but knowing from their long-time posting habits I'm pretty sure that their responses were meant to be in the nature of poking fun rather than actual attacks.

We tend to be a friendly, fun forum. I can understand your feeling frustrated with the kind of comments you received. Again, I agree that the comments made weren't necessarily the best. That said, we try to avoid intentionally provoking words like "pompous", "arrogant" and "ridiculous" when referring to other members. Argument, debate and disagreement are welcome. Name-calling and direct insult are not.
Old 04-01-15, 11:01 AM   #27
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
My idea would be to have a vid sequence with a newspaper headline about V-J Day, and a little article related to US subs being sent home, most to be mothballed. Then your sub coming back under the Golden Gate Bridge, with fireworks, cheering crowds and banners around.
This is pretty much how SH 1 ended. I found the ending of SH IV to be a complete let down. They could have at least let me triumphantly return to my base instead of an instant end screen. That also would have allowed for some radio news about the end of the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post

I presently use TMO & RSRD & plucking a single tanker out of a convoy & then successfully evading the merciless depth charging I find extremely satisfying.
I don't want to derail this but how do you even find IJN ships in TMO+RSRDC? I only encounter single merchants with pretty much no sign of any warships or convoys. In my last career I saw one light cruiser and that was it and I'm in late 1943 by now (ok, there were some patrol boats as harbor guards near enemy bases but those don't count).
There is pretty much no danger in the Pacific.
Old 04-01-15, 11:55 AM   #28
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

Spoiler Alert! Cheese Wiz after 4yrs I am closing in on the end of the war! It does sound anticlimactic if there is no video or fanfare of any type
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 04:01 PM   #29
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

@ Sailor Steve: Well said sir!

@ Schroeder: I feel your frustration & in truth I see less IJN that I think I should. On my 1st patrol I was 2 days out of Manila & came across a IJN Heavy Cruiser & 2 DD's. I was very proud of sinking that Cruiser
I mainly see single ships as well but have bumped into a number of convoys. I try to patrol the main shipping lanes & that's where I tend to find them. I seem to run into the IJN at odd/not anticipated locations. You could hear the leather in my office chair tear from my sphincter biting a hole in it when I stumbled onto a IJN carrier task force (2 flat tops & couldn't tell you how many other ships) off Java.
Also make sure you have the patch for RSRD that corrects dead spots.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 04:55 PM   #30
Raider M
Watch

Downloads: 154

Quote:

I was hoping for all of that too.
Raider M is offline   Reply With Quote