Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-19, 07:43 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Two time Grammy Winner and R&B singing star James Ingram dies at 66

James Ingram, the R&B singer with a soulful, smooth voice has died at the age of 66. James Ingram its like had hits like "Just Once" and "I Don't Have The Heart." A cause of death was not listed but it was known James was battling brain cancer. James always had a great, soulful voice as demonstrated by his duet with Linda Ronstadt in " Somewhere out there ."

Quote : Over the course of his career, Ingram also had successful collaborations with , Quincy Jones, Barry White and Dolly Parton. He co-wrote Michael Jackson's hit song "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" with Jones. Ingram was also nominated for two Golden Globe Awards -- one in 1994 for best original song for "The Day I Fall in Love" and again in the same category the following year for "Look What Love Has Done."

Ingram charted nine hits on the Hot 100, including a pair of No. 1s: "Baby Come to Me," with Patti Austin, in 1983, and "I Don't Have the Heart" in 1990. Other top 20-charting Hot 100 hits included "Just Once" (No. 17 in 1981, Quincy Jones featuring Ingram), "Yah Mo Be There" (No. 19 in 1984, with Michael McDonald) and "Somewhere Out There" (No. 2 in 1987, with Linda Ronstadt). He also logged 19 hits on the Adult Contemporary airplay chart and 18 entries on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/enter...ead/index.html

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-dead-obituary

Rest in Peace James and thanks for the great music.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-29-19 at 07:53 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-19, 09:02 PM   #2
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Downloads: 25

It seems the older I get the more and more I see people dying that I grew up watching on TV or listening to in music songs/videos. Back when I thought life was forever and these people would be around forever.

Getting old sucks!

RIP James Ingram
FullMetalADCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 06:54 AM   #3
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalADCAP View Post
It seems the older I get the more and more I see people dying that I grew up watching on TV or listening to in music songs/videos. Back when I thought life was forever and these people would be around forever.

Getting old sucks!

RIP James Ingram
I think that's because these musicians and artists wrote and performed what is essentially the soundtrack of our respective lives.

It's worse if you grew up watching musicians and these same artists influenced you in some way to pick up and try a musical instrument. In my case, a huge influence was Stevie Ray Vaughan, As most know, Stevie was killed in a helicopter crash August 27th, 1990. Stevie single handed-ly started a revival of Blues Music as a viable art form. I think Stevie's music had more depth than that. I never play like him but it hardly matters.

If you make a personal connection with a piece of music or artist and these artists pass on, it's as though you knew them and have lost a personal friend even though you never met them.

Guitarist, Mandolin and keyboardist Steve Winwood is another great musician and vocalist / singer among many great artists and we are fortunate he is still with us.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-30-19 at 07:37 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 07:06 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

So many great songs and musical achievements.

RIP

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 01:01 AM   #5
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I think that's because these musicians and artists wrote and performed what is essentially the soundtrack of our respective lives.

It's worse if you grew up watching musicians and these same artists influenced you in some way to pick up and try a musical instrument. In my case, a huge influence was Stevie Ray Vaughan, As most know, Stevie was killed in a helicopter crash August 27th, 1990. Stevie single handed-ly started a revival of Blues Music as a viable art form. I think Stevie's music had more depth than that. I never play like him but it hardly matters.

If you make a personal connection with a piece of music or artist and these artists pass on, it's as though you knew them and have lost a personal friend even though you never met them.

Guitarist, Mandolin and keyboardist Steve Winwood is another great musician and vocalist / singer among many great artists and we are fortunate he is still with us.
It's certainly a real kick in the gut when we lose these actors and musicians who touched our lives in some meaningful way when we were younger. It can be like losing a friend or a family member in some way, even if you didn't know them personally. I've seen people grieve for days, even weeks, the loss of a celebrity musician or actor that they didn't know personally but simply adored.
FullMetalADCAP is offline   Reply With Quote