Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-17, 12:33 PM   #1711
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
1961: [COLOR=orange]President Dwight D Eisenhower delivered his farewell address in which he warned against " the acquisition of unwarranted influence ,whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex..."
When I was growing up I remember the disenchanted blaming the Vietnam war on the arms dealers ... I don't know how you could prove that, but we certainly made a lot of mistakes based on the POTUS and on down.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 05:25 PM   #1712
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
When I was growing up I remember the disenchanted blaming the Vietnam war on the arms dealers ... I don't know how you could prove that, but we certainly made a lot of mistakes based on the POTUS and on down.
THe social ramifications of which R the over-militarization of local Rambo-ized police departments across the nation. http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/11-shocking-facts-about-americas-militarized-police-forces & http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2016/05/10/war-weapons-for-americas-local-police-departments/#3186058654fe
Quote:
It’s a boon to contractor profits. The trend towards police militarization has given military contractors another lucrative market where they can shop their products. Companies like Lockheed Martin and Blackhawk Industries are making big bucks by selling their equipment to agencies flush with Department of Homeland Security grants.
Quote:
In addition to the actual selling of equipment, contractors also sponsor training events for SWAT teams, like Urban Shield, a major arms expo that has attracted increasing attention from activists in recent years. SWAT teams, police agencies and military contractors converge on Urban Shield, which was held in California last year, to train and to promote equipment to buy.
Walkin' 'round 'Merica these days is a-gittin' plum dangerous:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 09:20 AM   #1713
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1788 The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrives at Botany Bay to set up a penal colony.

1911 First shipboard landing of a plane (Tanforan Park to USS Pennsylvania).

1919 The Paris peace conference (aka the Versailles peace conference) opened to draw up the treaties formally ending the Great War (WW1).

1957 3 B-52's set record for around-the-world flight, 45 hr 19 min.

1973 John Cleese's final episode on "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on BBC TV.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 09:43 AM   #1714
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1812 Peninsular War: After a ten day siege, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, orders British soldiers of the Light and third divisions to storm Ciudad Rodrigo.

1915 1st German Zeppelin attack over Great Britain, 4 die.

1923 UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Stanley Baldwin and US Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon agree to reschedule repayment of Britain's $4.5 billion war debt over 62 years.

1971 The Beatles' "Helter Skelter" is played at Charles Manson trial.

1977 US President Ford pardons Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose).

1983 Klaus Barbie, SS chief in Lyon in Nazi-occupied France, arrested in Bolivia.

Old 01-20-17, 09:46 AM   #1715
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1841 China cedes Hong Kong to the British during the 1st Opium War.

1879 British troops under Lord Chelmsford make camp at Isandlwana.

1921 British submarine HMS K5 (which was unusually equipped with steam turbines) sank with 57 crew during exercises in the Bay of Biscay.

1942 Nazi officials hold notorious Wannsee conference in Berlin to organise the "final solution", the extermination of Europe's Jews.

1945 Franklin D. Roosevelt sworn-in for an unprecedented (and never to be repeated) 4th term as US President.

1955 The first nuclear powered submarine, USS Nautilus, launched at Groton, Connecticut.

Old 01-21-17, 11:03 AM   #1716
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1968 US B-52 bomber with nuclear bomb on board crashes in Greenland.

1976 Supersonic Concorde, 1st commercial flights, by Britain & France.

Old 01-22-17, 09:29 AM   #1717
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1506 The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrive at the Vatican.

1771 Spain cedes Falkland Islands to Britain.

1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift: British garrison of 150 holds off 3,000-4,000 Zulu warriors. Eleven Victoria Crosses and a number of other decorations were awarded to the defenders.

Old 01-22-17, 11:50 AM   #1718
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift: British garrison of 150 holds off 3,000-4,000 Zulu warriors. Eleven Victoria Crosses and a number of other decorations were awarded to the defenders.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-23-17, 01:22 PM   #1719
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1897 Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.

1945 Karl Dönitz launches Operation Hannibal.

Old 01-24-17, 06:34 AM   #1720
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

41 Claudius succeeds his nephew Caligula as Roman Emperor after the later's assassination by officers of the Praetorian Guard.

1908 Lieutenant General Robert Baden-Powell publishes "Scouting for Boys" as a manual for self-instruction in outdoor skills and self-improvement. The book becomes the inspiration for the Scout Movement.

1915 German-British sea battle at Dogger Bank & Helgoland.

1943 Adolf Hitler orders German troops at Stalingrad to fight to the death.

1943 Jewish patients/nurses/doctors incinerated at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

1958 After warming to 100,000,000 degrees, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion.

1962 Brian Epstein signs management contract with the Beatles.

1972 Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.

Old 01-24-17, 12:11 PM   #1721
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default In war there is no free press??!!

1945: Joseph "Joe" Morton, an American war correspondant is executed at Mauthausen Concentration camp with thirteen uniformed OSS officers. An SS guard shot each one in the neck. 15 Allied intelligence officers, a Slovak officer, a Slovak-American interpreter, two Slovak civilian resistance fighters, and Morton himself, covering an OSS operation in the country for a story. Although the Allied officers were duly uniformed and Morton had a war correspondent ID in order to be treated as POW's according to the Geneva Convention (1929), the SS headquarters, in compliance with Commando Order, which stated that all Allied commandos should be killed immediately without trial... even those in proper uniforms, ordered the execution of Allied officers and others caught in the act. He was the only Allied correspondent to be executed by the AXIS during World War II. Another reporter named Paul Morton also did not fare so well: of some interest and an example of WWII reporting and censorship: https://consortiumnews.com/2010/092810c.html

Old 01-24-17, 01:21 PM   #1722
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^
It is all gross enough, but this
https://consortiumnews.com/2010/092810c.html
so typical of military and propaganda

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:12 AM   #1723
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1998 President Bill Clinton says "I want to say one thing to the American people; I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

Old 01-26-17, 11:02 AM   #1724
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Hillary Clinton suddenly becomes big fan of country western music

Old 01-27-17, 08:52 AM   #1725
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1944 Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days at the loss of 600,000 killed.

1945 Soviet troops liberate Auschwitz and Birkenau Concentration Camps in Poland.

1973 US & North Vietnam's William Rogers & Nguyen Duy Trinh sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and miltary draft.

1996 Germany celebrates its first Holocaust Remembrance Day.