SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-08, 03:49 AM   #61
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think at least it would be enough to know that it does not conflict with GWX 2.1 AOTD-ship-Schleuse-Bugfix. Since I'm not useing any additional ship mods. But this question still hanging between yes and no, since some ppl have no problems with it, some ppl have.. :hmm:
Old 11-27-08, 04:30 AM   #62
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf
Having had no ctd's with the mods has it's problems, I can't find why others do. I would be happy to upload AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix & Community units (merged) but it needs testing with someone who is having problems and giving feedback.

I did 14 patrols saving 3 - 5 times per patrol and not 1 ctd.
Let us hope someone takes you up on your considerate offer.....for the benefit of the community.

If the mod was causing problems with my install I would have willingly taken you up on your offer.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 07:26 AM   #63
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:
Having had no ctd's with the mods has it's problems, I can't find why others do. I would be happy to upload AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix & Community units (merged) but it needs testing with someone who is having problems and giving feedback.

I did 14 patrols saving 3 - 5 times per patrol and not 1 ctd.
Let us hope someone takes you up on your considerate offer.....for the benefit of the community.

If the mod was causing problems with my install I would have willingly taken you up on your offer.
perhaps its better to wait for the release of GWX 3.0 to update these mods:hmm:
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:26 AM   #64
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
I can give it a shot. The problem I had wasn't random ctd's. But whenever I create a new campaign, it ALWAYS ctd'd upon loading the first patrol.

please pass along a link for the download whenever you get around it. I'll test a few cases and give feedback.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:38 AM   #65
asanovic7
Captain

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by piri_reis
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovic7
aaa..I understood you speak about englishnames.cfg..
Oh yes that too I'm pretty sure every ship you have in your install must be listed in the englishnames.cfg. OR the game will CTD. The entry will be used to display the ship type/name in bunch of places, when you identify it for example..

ps; Check out the score of Porto-fener this week, I reckon it will be a disaster for them and a funny game to watch for me
i AM not convinced about that.. english names is just what it says, if you have the name of the ship in ship's cfg like fredeship, from english names cfg you get frede ship, from german names cfg you get friede shiff.. If it is not listed in englishnames then you get on ship indetification fredeship.
That's the way I understood that.
Right?
I am really interested about this..
Anyone..

And yes, fener played badly..

p.s. not just that there might be duplicate id's leading to ctd, but some of all those id's must be the same for several types of ships(or so I have seen when checking those files, shipbuilder, me, no..), that meaning that 2 day job would be one month job.. :rotfl:

And how come noone menitons damn artilleriesomething ship that vanishes upon getting damage? :rotfl: Who made it, who can correct it etc.?
asanovic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:42 AM   #66
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

Thanks piri_reis
As you probably know the AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix puts in its own Campaign files. I really want a few people with ctd problems when installing with GWX 2.1 so we can try to nail it down. There are so many possible reasons that can cause it, I thought this would be the easiest and quickest way. But you certainly can have a copy.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:49 AM   #67
asanovic7
Captain

Default I am still bemused

:rotfl:
It must be hangover..

How can you merge aotd and community ships?
You mean englishnames.cfg, or?

Again I ask isn't that eglishnames.cfg only for single missions? :rotfl:

In campaign all the convoys mostly consist of generic ships(that means the game picks some random ship and puts it into convoy, ship's version based on the year of convoy's ride), or so I understood?
Old 11-27-08, 11:07 AM   #68
badwolf
XO

Both mods have these files which conflict:-
EnglishNames.cfg
GermanNames.cfg
FrenchNames.cfg

So to merge them you you add together the differences of the two.

Depending on your language 1 of the 3 is used.

The file is used by Sh3Commander for real names and the game for name display purposes in your selected language.

After merging I will correct the mentioned errors and any others I find. This will then give a starting point to find the problem if it still exists. But to do this requires volunteers who've got ctd problems.
Old 11-27-08, 11:32 AM   #69
Murr44
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
The units in the Community Mod share SO MANY ID's
it's a 2 day job to sort them.

Now, many people have no problems with that on thier
system.

But it's been proven over and over.
Duplicate ID's are a fantastic way to introduce
RANDOM CTDS!!

Each and every unit in this mod should be adjusted to make it
100% safe for any install.

Other then takeing that step?
it's a Crap Shoot!!
2 days, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look! I have absolutely no experience with mod-making...
Murr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:39 AM   #70
asanovic7
Captain

Default hmm

If you are refferring to the conflicts that cause ctd's, badwolf, I really really think the cause is not in those cfgs..

The cause is in id's, several thousands of id's in dats, vals, sims, zons, etc. files...
If I understand you correctly. Every little thing that adjust example the color of this, size etc. or something other in that files has its own unique id so that the game can find it. If you have two indentical id's in the several million that sh3 has, you computer can search with flashlight for it, find the two, try to use those two = CTD!
Merging those cfgs will not correct ctd's, I am afraid..

Maybe that mast destructable thingy is the answer, maybe not..

If you want to check that mod for mistakes, you would have to open every files for those ships with s3d, search for duplicate id's(and you would have to know what are those that should be or must not be duplicate), correct them which would last for ages..
Best thing to do is to load the mod, get a ctd, determine what ship it is causing the problem, delete the ship, start again? Then spit on that ship on this forums, and the author will probably know where is the damn problem with it..

Make single missions, adjust campaign files so that you leave a harbour and discover all those ships near vilhelmshaven port in 1940 not moving, sink and pilage, steal and sodomize young virgins, test and report..

AND AGAIN!

I saw you mention aotd mad maxs gwx 2.1 fix has issues with community ships..

There is one thing you have to know.. If you use graphical or sound enhancement mods, make shure your computer can load a harbour with aotd's campaign files, because his files add about 5-10 ships to each and every harbour..
You get ctd if your computer cannot do it, which happened to me! And it is not connected to community ships.. I think!

Cheers
Old 11-27-08, 12:59 PM   #71
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovic7
i AM not convinced about that.. english names is just what it says, if you have the name of the ship in ship's cfg like fredeship, from english names cfg you get frede ship, from german names cfg you get friede shiff.. If it is not listed in englishnames then you get on ship indetification fredeship.
That's the way I understood that.
Right?
I am really interested about this..
Anyone..
Ok you are RIGHT. Englishnames.cfg (or german/french) means nothing. Deleting the file doesnt do any harm. If the CLASSNAME is listed in the englishnames.cfg all you get is a more descriptive name for that unit, whenever it needs to be displayed in the game.

The other point about the ClassName variable I was trying to make was, two ships CANNOT have the same classname. I tested this, and can confirm it.

The ID Duplications as Privateer pointed out, should be the main reason then. But this still is confusing because how come some people say they've been running countless careers with this mod, without any crashes...

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 01:12 PM   #72
asanovic7
Captain

Default there are some answers to that

1. mods have duplicate id's
2. iambecomelife pointed to destructionable mast issue
3. having lack of luck
4. your computer cannot handle it(damn you mr. smith for having 200 ships in the same convoy)

Old 11-27-08, 01:40 PM   #73
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 49

A question: how to sink 200 ships in a convoy, with 20\30 torpedoes and 110 105cannon rounds?

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 02:06 PM   #74
badwolf
XO

Quote:
If you are refferring to the conflicts that cause ctd's, badwolf, I really really think the cause is not in those cfgs..
Where in my previous messages in this thread have I stated that ? Also why would I continue to try to resolve the problem if so ?

What I was trying to do was to make installation as easy as possible without mistakes, so that a group of us could investigate the problem.

Signing Off
Old 11-28-08, 03:29 AM   #75
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos
A question: how to sink 200 ships in a convoy, with 20\30 torpedoes and 110 105cannon rounds?
Use a nuke torp