Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-15, 08:17 PM   #1
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Nature calls?

Octopus goes out for a nice crab dinner....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonde...rab/vi-BBhUYSD

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:00 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Saw that clip the other day. Nature is awesome!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 05:53 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not fair, he's got eight arms to the crabs two

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 01:36 PM   #4
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Not fair, he's got eight arms to the crabs two
The crab has a shell and two sharp claws. I'm sure the shellfish could coax some ink out of the octopod.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 02-27-15, 08:28 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
The crab has a shell and two sharp claws. I'm sure the shellfish could coax some ink out of the octopod.
Actually, I'd be interested in seeing what the octopus actually does to the crab after taking it under that rock

Old 02-27-15, 01:10 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default OK just who is the top-end predator here!

Quote:
Actually, I'd be interested in seeing what the octopus actually does to the crab after taking it under that rock
It rips it up with it's beak; This will amaze ya!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-15, 06:18 PM   #7
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

I don't want to be
Under the sea
In an octopus's garden
In the shade

Tomorrow never comes
Old 02-27-15, 06:50 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Old 02-28-15, 07:47 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I don't want to be
Under the sea
In an octopus's garden
In the shade
John Wayne didn't mind.

Old 02-28-15, 12:56 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Pierre did!...vs the Squid pro quo

"In 1802, the French naturalist Pierre Denys de Montfort in Histoire Naturelle Générale et Particulière des Mollusques, an encyclopedic description of mollusks, recognized the existence of two kinds of giant octopus. One being the kraken octopus, which Denys de Montfort believed had been described not only by Norwegian sailors and American whalers, but also by ancient writers such as ADM Pliny the Elder (of accurate Vesuvius eruption reporting fame). The second one being the much larger colossal octopus (the one actually depicted by the image) which reportedly attacked a sailing vessel from Saint-Malo off the coast of Angola." After watching what that octopus did to a shark...and knowing that Norwegian and American Whalers are straight-forward observant fellas..and taking into account what a giant Kraken or Humboldt Squid (some species confusion here) can do to sperm whales, the above illustration depicted an actual alleged incident off Angola in 1801! Required viewing: Bottom line: if there are extremely aggressive intelligent squid in the water(Santa Cruz-Monterey???)-ie his food chain...I think I'm outta there!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-28-15, 06:04 PM   #11
Wolferz
Navy Seal

wolf_howl15

Quote:
I don't want to be
Under the sea
In an octopus's garden
In the shade
Give me a knife
It might save my life
In an octopus's garden
With you.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 03-29-15, 03:19 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Western Approaches, off the tip of Cornwall: Georg-Günther von Forstner in U-28 stops the British freighter SS Flaminian, 3,500 tons, carrying a general cargo from Glasgow to South Africa. The crew are allowed to abandon ship and the steamer sunk with the deck gun. Von Forstner's score now stands at 8 ships and 21,003 tons.
I totalled it all up...and it is 21,003 tons! And then things got interesting!!! Bear in mind that U-boat skippers, especially of the von Forstner calibre are straight shooting, precise caculating Alpha sorts that don't miss out on the details-their lives depend on it: http://www.americanmonsters.com/site/2010/11/u-28-abomination-atlantic- & http://blogs.forteana.org/node/93
“On July 30, 1915, our U-28 torpedoed the British steamer Iberian, which was carrying a cargo across the North Atlantic. The steamer sank so swiftly that its bow stuck up almost vertically into the air. Moments later the hull of the Iberian disappeared.”
“The wreckage remained beneath the water for approximately twenty-five seconds, at a depth that was clearly impossible to assess, when suddenly there was a violent explosion, which shot pieces of debris — among them a gigantic aquatic animal — out of the water to a height of approximately 80-feet.”
“At that moment I had with me in the conning tower six of my officers of the watch, including the chief engineer, the navigator, and the helmsman. Simultaneously we all drew one another’s attention to this wonder of the seas, which was writhing and struggling among the debris.”
“We were unable to identify the creature, but all of us agreed that it resembled an aquatic crocodile, which was about 60-feet long, with four limbs resembling large webbed feet, a long, pointed tail and a head which also tapered to a point. Unfortunately we were not able to take a photograph, for the animal sank out of sight after ten or fifteen seconds.” Of the six other men on the con only seaman Robert Maas survived the war and he never said a word! "Unfortunately, almost all witnesses to the incident were later killed. But one lives on: our then cook, submariner Robert Maas, who lives in Gross Ottersleben, near Magdeburg, and who saw the animal while it was still flailing in the air. To my delight, I recently met him again by chance...but if seaman Maas did indeed see anything, he never seems to have placed the fact on record." None of the 61 survivors of the Iberian said any thing about a 60' crocodile either. It has been suggested by some — including us in the original version of this article — that this creature is mostly likely a living specimen of the flipper bearing, croc-featured, long presumed to be extinct mosasaur species, but the fact that Commander von Forstner specifically described the creature as having “webbed” feet would seem to suggest that the culprit is more akin to also allegedly extinct family of gargantuan sea crocodiles known as thalattosuchia. Two things are certain that come to mind: A;
We thought coelacanths were extinct until one was caught in the 60's> B; We don't know really all that much about what's really down there. C; The sinking of Iberian was off Fastnet, Ireland. Close enough!...I hope 'Nessie' made back to Loch Ness Nessie on the loose??!! Then came 1977 and it gets real interesting: http://www.discoverynews.us/DISCOVERY%20MUSEUM/CreaturesFromTheDeep/Plesiosaur-Japanese-Fishing-Nets.html "“It seems that these animals are not extinct after all. It’s impossible for only one to have survived. There must be a group.” Von Forster was on to something. IMHO

Old 03-29-15, 03:31 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Fascinating! Not one source I've looked at mentions that story, or of course I would have reported it. That said, the linked site seems to have done their homework and there is no reason not to believe the story.

Thanks for pointing that out.

[edit] Love that illustration of him airborne.
Old 03-29-15, 03:40 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

USS STEIN FF-1065 was successfully attacked on the rubber coating of the sonar dome leaving teeth indicative of a 150 foot squid "She is noteworthy as a U.S. Navy vessel that has apparently been attacked by an unknown species of giant squid. In 1978, the "NOFOUL" rubber coating of her AN/SQS-26 SONAR dome was damaged by multiple cuts over 8 percent of the dome surface. Nearly all of the cuts contained remnants of sharp, curved claws found on the rims of suction cups of some squid tentacles. The claws were much larger than those of any squid that had been discovered at that time." Such sizing give inkling as to true size of the creature. [wiki] Still referred to as the Stein Monster.

Old 03-29-15, 05:09 PM   #15
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
John Wayne didn't mind.

Pretty sure Ringo Starr didn't mind either.