SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-14, 03:46 PM   #1
K
Nub

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Trouble launching game

I have the Steam version of SH3 and decided to switch back to NYGM after giving the GW mod a try. Both great mods but I prefer NYGM for load times and some other minor things.

I deleted the game via Steam's remove local content and tried launching vanilla prior to switching to NYGM and could not.

I tried verifying the game cache and it said everything was fine.

I manually deleted the game folder in Steam apps and the folder in documents.

I re-downloaded and the game still would not launch.

I tried running it as admin and compatibility mode.

I was able to get the vanilla game to launch with the test app located in the game folder. I tried a short mission and sinking the first boat I could find and every thing seemed fine.

I then added just the NYGM stand alone mod and the game was able to launch and I noticed I graphical glitch. When on the bridge a rather large black triangle like area would flash in the direction I was looking.

I decided to remove the mod and try vanilla again.

When I launched the game the GWX load screen appeared and before loading the game crashed.

I am assuming I missed some GW files somewhere when I tried to delete them. Where could these files be besides in the game folder and in documents? Am I missing something that needs to be done to remove GWX from the game?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 04:19 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

K ! after a silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 05:43 PM   #3
K
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
Never ever mix big-mods!
Delete your current installation, it is messed up!
Reinstall from scratch and backup that one!

Follow Silent Hunter III [SH3] Guide Not Only For Beginners

Also consider having multiple (parallel) installs as discussed here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=17
and with examples here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=18

I already tried to re-install from scratch. Once with Steam automatically removing the files and twice manually removing every trace of SH3 and mods I could find.

I seem to be failing to delete some file(s) somewhere. I assume this because after manually deleting files, re-installing, some how at least one file for GWX is still there. I assume this because of the GWX load screen popping up, after trying to revert to vanilla when the graphics glitch happened with NYGM.

1. Deleted Game with GWX mod.

2. Re-installed

3. Had problems launching vanilla game, tried various things

4. Able to launch vanilla game with test app located in game file, did short play through,

5. Used JGSME to add just NYGM stand alone at first. Was planning to add more later one at a time. Had some graphic issues.

6. Removed NYGM using JGSME

7. attempted to launch game again using test app and GWX load screen appears and game crashes.

8. trying once more to delete game and any associated files, maybe I missed something the first two times.

Thank you for the link, made me think once I can get the game running again I will try the LSH mod. I put many hours into GWX and NYGM already.
Old 09-15-14, 05:43 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
Never ever mix big-mods!
Delete your current installation, it is messed up!
Reinstall from scratch and backup that one!
Rgr that

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 06:26 AM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Modding the Steam version is not as simple as modding the real game. You can get a copy of the real game (download or DVD) from Amazon for about $10. IMO, that's the easiest way. If you want to make what you have work, there are a number of tutorials by Desertstriker on how to setup and mod the Steam game. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208216
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 01:34 PM   #6
K
Nub

Thank you for every who offered links and advice.

For whatever reason I can not completely remove the GWX mod and can not launch the game with the regular application. I need to use the test application to launch the game now. Which means SH3 Commander is now unusable to me right now.

I can not get NYGM to work without a game breaking graphics glitch, when I was able to get it to work before with no issues. I put about 150 hours on the game using that mod. I played GWX about the same amount of time with no issues. I had no problem installing and getting either to work the first time.

I decided to switch back to NYGM and that is when the problem started. I deleted the game from my computer and re-downloaded it several times, trying to get it to work. I deleted or moved to a thumb drive every file I could find relating to SH3 and GWX.

I googled and searched the forums already and tried every thing suggested on removing the GWX mod and getting the vanilla game to work without having to launch with the test application. I highly suspect that I am missing a GWX file somewhere or Steam is somehow restoring the game to it's previous state when I re-download. I believe this is the problem, since when I use JGSME to install NYGM then use it to remove it and launch the game the GWX load screen appears and then the game freezes.

I am able to get the LSH3 mod to work, still needing to launch the game via the test application. It is a good mod and I am enjoying it so far, so I'll just put some time into playing the game with it. I'll revisit trying to solve the issue or just purchase a copy from Amazon.

I just do not like leaving issues unresolved when I am pretty sure there is a rather easy solution I am unable to figure out myself or find the answer from someone else. My guess deleting or a simple edit to one file will solve this.