SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-14, 12:52 AM   #436
walter_solito
Watch

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

I haven't this situation in my rig....if I change difficulty settings the game keep the new values....

Try to check if the SH3 DATA folder allow to modify the files....

Otherwise I can only suggest to try look at the installing guide quoted above and try to reinstall the game....I do as it until point 7 but I don't install the 4gb patch and the HiRes fix....

I suggest you to start campaign only when the game is working flawless....
walter_solito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 09:49 AM   #437
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithterrill View Post
I installed SH4, pacific, golden on my Windows 7.

I set the graphics, etc. and all works.

Well, except for one small thing. If I change the game setting realism, and save it. The next time I start the game it has been reset to the original low setting.

I switched this to XP compatible and still the same problem.

I can play the game.... I just have to use it in the easy low realizes.

Any thoughts?

Keith
Do you realize that you posted in the wrong section? This is the SH3 section. SH4 is a few sub-forums higher in the list. The game structure is mostly similar. But it's better to keep things organised in here.

Did you run the game as an administrator account the first time (perhaps directly after installing), and after that as a different account? Or vice versa. That could explain why the settings did not stick. It was using the configuration settings in the SH4 folder of a different user Documents folder, which did not contain the altered settings yet.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 02:29 PM   #438
keithterrill
Watch

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Do you realize that you posted in the wrong section? This is the SH3 section. SH4 is a few sub-forums higher in the list. The game structure is mostly similar. But it's better to keep things organised in here.
No, I did not notice. Sorry.
keithterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 11:48 AM   #439
keithterrill
Watch

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Did you run the game as an administrator account the first time (perhaps directly after installing), and after that as a different account? Or vice versa. That could explain why the settings did not stick. It was using the configuration settings in the SH4 folder of a different user Documents folder, which did not contain the altered settings yet.
Yes, I did all of that. So, I took my time and ran a test.

As a Bilge Rat, I am in the SH3 area, but... if there are any in my position attempting to run SH4 in Windows System 7 Home Edition, here is what was discovered:

Go to: Options
GAMEPLAY SETTINGS
Change to "High", realism 73
uncheck Manuel Targeting System, realism 58
Apply Changes
Are you sure? Yes
Back
Start: American Career

The difficulty setting will change the Gameplay settings as follows:
Easy -------> Low
Normal -----> Medium
Hard -------> High
Very Hard --> Realistic
Otherwise, the Gameplay Settings are remembered and used as you set them for the other types of play.

Thank-you all.
keithterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 03:51 PM   #440
Jasonb
Watch

Downloads: 11
Default Getting a higher res!

Hi all...

I'm playing SH3 on Windows 7 64Bit. I got it from Steam about 4 years ago.

I'm playing it pretty much clean, no mods installed etc., apart from SH3 Commander, though if I'm correct that's not really a Mod of the game itself, it's more some added features before the game starts.

Anyhow, it's working perfectly but I'm playing it in 1024x768. I can't get it to play any higher than that. No errors, but it's always 1024x768 no matter what I try. My monitor is 1600x1200 native. I've tried editing the setting in the main.cfg file, and I tried downloading the High Res fix (the one with the 9d3d.cfg file) but still just 1024x768.

Any ideas how to get a higher res?

Thanks...

J.
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 11:52 PM   #441
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

Jasonb!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 04:34 AM   #442
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 05:00 AM   #443
Jasonb
Watch

Wow, thanks for the welcome, it's nice to see a friendly forum! I feel bad now for jumping straight in with a question, I'll make sure I post in the Introduction thread...

J.
Old 09-28-14, 06:29 AM   #444
Jasonb
Watch

Ok, some more details about my problem...

I've read all 30 pages of this thread, and tried most of the suggestions.

To recap, I'm running SH3 that I got from Steam about 3 or 4 years ago. It's 1.4b with no Mods at all (apart from SH3 Commander, but I had the same issue before I installed that).

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit with 6GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD4850 (512MB) Graphics Card.

Basically, I can't get SH3 to not run in 1024x768. My monitor's default resolution is 1600x1200, so I don't even have to worry about Widescreen issues, as it's 4x3.

After reading lots of answers on here, I decided to do things 'properly'. I downloaded and installed JSGME. I then used it to install the 4GB patch and the DX9HiResFix patch and they're all enabled via JSGME. In fact, when I enabled the DX9HiResFix patch, it detected another one (_DX9HiResFix) so I tried enabling that as well.

I also tried things like running the SH3.exe executable in 'Windows XP SP3 Compatibility' mode.

But no matter what I do, the resolution isn't changing when I'm in the game. After each change I've made, I've run the game and started a new single mission, but the screen always looks the same.

Any ideas what else I can try? One thing did occur to me, maybe, just maybe, I'm already at a higher resolution without realising it, and have been all along. So I took a pic of the monitor during the game, maybe someone could let me know if they think I'm in 1024x768 or not. It looks different to some of the screenshots I've seen on here, but with so many mods out there, it's possible that's the difference? It's a 20 inch screen.

Thanks...

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3.jpg (89.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-13-14, 11:56 PM   #445
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_solito View Post
Thanks again Hienz for the tips!

This morning I got SH III working on my netpc (Packard Bell Imax Mini 3600 Atom@1,6 - ION - W7) in a vanilla 1.4b flanked with a GWX 3.0 with full screen vision on my 28" video (is the standard 1024x768 resolution but at least I got it in full screen instead of a black barred one)

At first the game don't run the 3d engine , so I had to switch monitor rex to 1600x1200 because the game need a 4:3 screen resolution to initialize the 3d.

After the game load the intros and the loading screen but after loading stops to work....

....every settings of compatibility and resolution don't solve the CTD....

So I let the XP sp2 compatibility and administrator privilege but enabled to all users the full control (in the advanced settings) and the game start to run flawless!

Now I'm enjoying SHIII+GWX 3.0 in my 28" screen!

I must to understand how add SHC 3.2 and the game is done!
I followed heinz's instructions to the letter, and when I clicked on the SHIII icon nothing happens (no error message or anything, it's like the icon doesn't even work). Went through like you said and gave it all of the permissions for all users, still nothing. I'm not sure what could be wrong...
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 06:24 AM   #446
walter_solito
Watch

I mean to:

Right click on the game icon over the desktop , open the property window and then the security label , you'll find all your rig users; when you select one below is shown it's level of authorization....enable all users to full controls....

Hope this'll help you....
Old 12-14-14, 12:36 PM   #447
Foggy
Loader

I tried that, Walter. It still doesn't work.
Old 12-14-14, 01:13 PM   #448
walter_solito
Watch

Sorry mate I can't help you further....

Are you sure to have done at the letter?

Try to uninstall the game , delete all folders left from uninstalling , reboot the rig and reinstall the game checking all Heinz passage one by one....
Old 12-14-14, 01:20 PM   #449
Foggy
Loader

Yeah, I did it to the letter. I had heard that guys were able to get the Steam version going, so I bought it on Steam and it doesn't work either. BUT, I get a different issue with the Steam one, it says it cannot initialize the 3D engine, and I think that's something I can work with (I think people have fixed that one). I will see if I can get the Steam one to work first...
Old 12-14-14, 01:26 PM   #450
walter_solito
Watch

The 3d engine not initialized can be due the monitor resolution not set to a 4:3 resolution....try to set res to a valid 4:3 value....