SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-12, 12:10 PM   #3781
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd View Post
I can't say for sure this is TMO related or not but I am experiencing a weird graphical anomaly running SH4 1.5 with Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.5, no other mods etc.

When I damage an enemy merchant ship or my sub receives even the slightest damage the model for the damaged ship/subchanges drastically. I have a screenshot at home but since I am posting this from work I will try to describe it as best I can.

Upon receiving the slightest damage the outer hull of the vessel disappears, you can then see the interior bulkheads, frames etc. and those are all burnt, rusted, bent etc. An enemy ship will sail off after one torpedo hit looking like a skeleton of a ship, my sub will function almost perfectly with 5% hull damage but will look like a sub in the middle of being scrapped.

Any ideas appreciated.
Let me guess: ATi graphics card? The "skeleton ships" issue has been discussed before, and the solution is to select either Multi-Sample or Super-Sample Anti-aliasing from your Catalyst Control Center. The culprit seems to be Adaptive Multi-Sample AA. This is a core-game related issue.

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 05:34 AM   #3782
Dogsbd
Seaman

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
Let me guess: ATi graphics card? The "skeleton ships" issue has been discussed before, and the solution is to select either Multi-Sample or Super-Sample Anti-aliasing from your Catalyst Control Center. The culprit seems to be Adaptive Multi-Sample AA. This is a core-game related issue.
That fixed it, thanks!
Dogsbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 10:18 PM   #3783
gAiNiAc
Weps

Downloads: 16
Quote:
Try adjusting the visual parameters in sensors.cfg. Lower values mean less of a handicap.
I'll give it a shot Doc. thanks
Old 03-29-12, 02:25 PM   #3784
rat sub
Sailor man

Downloads: 28

Just a quick question with playing trigger maru 2.5, How can i get away from DDs because once they lock on to me they keep pinging me and depth charging me.

I go Deep really deep past the crush depth but they still come at me and i am at a loss, havent played the campain still on the sub school convoy mission.

I am a silent hunter 4 vet but trigger is too hard.
thanks again
rat sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 07:50 PM   #3785
haz
A-ganger

Downloads: 1401

is the horizon and nights so dark you cant see anything?even when moon comes up is no horizon,this the way its supposed to be/otherwise great mod.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:14 PM   #3786
DrBeast
The Old Man

I love this mod, I really do. But the stock deckgun crew bug, in conjunction with Gar/Tambor having stern deckgun placement ONLY in TMO is driving me nuts!

When I started a new career, I thought long and hard about deckgun placement. I decided to keep the default Bow only settings, knowing full well the Gar/Tambor limitations, but hoping to circumvent the issue by a) starting with any other boat, and b) waiting until the Gato became available and turning down offers for new subs until then. So I picked a Sargo class and started out from Manilla for a change. Racked up patrol after patrol, the months went by, I turned down offers for new subs twice, until finally it was 1943 and the Gato was (theoretically) available for my Flotilla (TMO+RSRDC combo, btw). February 1943, and as I return home from yet another highly successful sortie, I get offered command of a new sub. "At last!", I think, only to find myself in command of a Tambor!!!

So...am I stuck with my Sargo? Do I HAVE to be in command of a Gar/Tambor before being offered a Gato? Or should I roll up my sleeves and try to make the 3'50'' deck gun available as Bow only on Gar/Tambors, as a temporary solution (I know the 5'51'' can only be placed at the stern, hence the issue with these boats, but I'm not really interested in using that cannon)? If so, can this change be made mid-patrol, or do I turn down YET another new boat offer and tinker with the UPC files while I'm in port?

Old 03-31-12, 09:24 PM   #3787
gAiNiAc
Weps

Quote:
I love this mod, I really do. But the stock deckgun crew bug, in conjunction with Gar/Tambor having stern deckgun placement ONLY in TMO is driving me nuts!

When I started a new career, I thought long and hard about deckgun placement. I decided to keep the default Bow only settings, knowing full well the Gar/Tambor limitations, but hoping to circumvent the issue by a) starting with any other boat, and b) waiting until the Gato became available and turning down offers for new subs until then. So I picked a Sargo class and started out from Manilla for a change. Racked up patrol after patrol, the months went by, I turned down offers for new subs twice, until finally it was 1943 and the Gato was (theoretically) available for my Flotilla (TMO+RSRDC combo, btw). February 1943, and as I return home from yet another highly successful sortie, I get offered command of a new sub. "At last!", I think, only to find myself in command of a Tambor!!!

So...am I stuck with my Sargo? Do I HAVE to be in command of a Gar/Tambor before being offered a Gato? Or should I roll up my sleeves and try to make the 3'50'' deck gun available as Bow only on Gar/Tambors, as a temporary solution (I know the 5'51'' can only be placed at the stern, hence the issue with these boats, but I'm not really interested in using that cannon)? If so, can this change be made mid-patrol, or do I turn down YET another new boat offer and tinker with the UPC files while I'm in port?

Go back to your save before you were offered the Tambor and apply the fix talked about here........:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3766
Old 03-31-12, 10:41 PM   #3788
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAiNiAc View Post
Go back to your save before you were offered the Tambor and apply the fix talked about here........:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3766
Ah yes, I remember that thread! My only concern is I'm playing TMO+RSRDC, but I should be able to tackle that (aka WinMerge to the rescue!).

Thanks!

Old 03-31-12, 10:47 PM   #3789
gAiNiAc
Weps

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember that thread! My only concern is I'm playing TMO+RSRDC, but I should be able to tackle that (aka WinMerge to the rescue!).

Thanks!
I'm playing the same; worked for me.
Old 04-01-12, 12:00 AM   #3790
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAiNiAc View Post
I'm playing the same; worked for me.
That's because, when you enable the mods in the proper order (TMO first, RSRDC second), Flotillas.upc and CareerStart.upc will be overwritten by RSRDC. So, essentially, what worked for you was changing UpgradeClass in NSS_Tambor.upc, and that's really all that needs to be done when playing the TMO+RSRDC combo

Nevertheless, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

ETA: It worked!!! I can finally head to bed (bloody hell, past 8am again!)

Last edited by DrBeast; 04-01-12 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-01-12, 10:13 AM   #3791
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

On a different note, does anyone know what file in TMO (or stock SH4 for that matter) controls the ocean's visual parameters (underwater algae/clouding etc)?
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 09:17 AM   #3792
altoso99
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

I have a question, regarding the Sargo class, how many torpedoes did it carried?

When I played RFB I think they had 20 internals and 4 external torpedoes, but TMO has no external and 22 internal torpedoes. What's the real loadout?

I'm trying to play realistic, so I want to know how many internal torpedoes did the Sargo really carried, and I'm not using external as they weren't used that much when the war starterd (subs had to spend hours in surface taking the torps below deck)
I've been looking for real world data about the number of reloads carried in the forward torpedo room, but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Maybe they had the same internal storage space than Tambor, then they would have 10 foward torpedo reloads, so that would make 22 internals and 4 externals ,but the sargo is listed has having 24 torps.
Anybody can give me real life figures?
altoso99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 02:36 PM   #3793
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Default External tubes in Sargo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoso99 View Post
I have a question, regarding the Sargo class, how many torpedoes did it carried?

Maybe they had the same internal storage space than Tambor, then they would have 10 foward torpedo reloads, so that would make 22 internals and 4 externals ,but the sargo is listed has having 24 torps.
Anybody can give me real life figures?
You seem a little confused between the two classes. It was the Salmon-class sub that had the 4 external (storage) tubes, not the Sargo-class. Both classes carried a total of 24 torpedoes (+ 4 externally in early model Salmons). Both classes had 4 forward and 4 aft torpedo tubes. Normal configuration of the after tubes was 4 loaded + 4 reloads for a total of 8 torpedoes aft. The forward torpedo room carried 4 loaded + 12 reloads.

I doubt the developers would have programmed the Salmon's external storage tubes. Details and citations from Wikipedia:

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargo_class_submarine

The Sargo-class submarines were the first US submarines to be sent into action after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, starting war patrols the day after the attack. They were built between 1937 and 1939.

The Sargo-class submarine USS Swordfish (SS-193) had the distinction of sinking the first Japanese ship sent to the bottom by US forces in World War II.

The Sargo class was very active during the war, sinking 73 ships, including a Japanese submarine.

Armament: 8 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes
(four forward, four aft)
24 torpedoes [3]
1 × 3-inch (76 mm) / 50 caliber deck gun [3]
four machine guns

[3] U.S. Submarines Through 1945 pp. 305–311

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_class_submarine

The United States Navy Salmon-class submarines were an important developmental step in the design of the "Fleet Submarine" concept during the 1930's. An incremental improvement over the previous Porpoise-class, these rugged and dependable boats provided yeoman service during World War II, along with their immediate successors, the similar Sargo-class.

Armament: 8 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes
(four forward, four aft)
24 torpedoes[4]
1 × 3-inch (76 mm) / 50 caliber deck gun[4]
four machine guns

[4] U.S. Submarines Through 1945 pp. 305–311

The six boats of this class (Salmon) were straight forward derivations of the later boats of the preceding Porpoise class. Although considered to be successful in most respects, valuable lessons had been learned from the Porpoises and operating experience showed the need to expand the operating envelope. The Salmons were longer, heavier, and faster versions with a better internal arrangement and a heavier armament. Two additional torpedo tubes were added to the aft torpedo room, for a total of four forward and four aft.[13] Some submariners wanted six tubes forward, but design philosophy and tactics of the day did not yet support this. However, in an effort to increase the number of torpedoes carried, four non-firing torpedo stowage tubes were installed in the superstructure below the main deck, stacked vertically, two each on either side of the conning tower. In order to access the weapons in these tubes, the boat had to surface and remove a portion of the decking on either side of the deck gun. Small boats stowed there for running sailors ashore for liberty were removed and set in the water. The weapons were extracted from the tubes one by one and winched up to the main deck. They were then placed on a raised loading skid and carefully lowered on an angle through a hatch into the forward torpedo room. This whole process took several hours to complete. The impracticality of spending several hours on the surface in enemy waters moving torpedoes below was lost on the designers. War experience led to the removal of these tubes during the boats' first wartime overhauls. [14]

[13] A Visual Guide to the U.S. Fleet Submarines Part Two: Salmon & Sargo Classes 1936-1945 Johnston, David (2010) Navsource Naval History website, pp.2 and 4

[14] Alden, John D., Commander (USN Ret). The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy: A Design and Construction History (Annapolis, 1979), p.50
Old 04-03-12, 07:33 PM   #3794
darqen27
Seaman

Downloads: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat sub View Post
Just a quick question with playing trigger maru 2.5, How can i get away from DDs because once they lock on to me they keep pinging me and depth charging me.

I go Deep really deep past the crush depth but they still come at me and i am at a loss, havent played the campain still on the sub school convoy mission.

I am a silent hunter 4 vet but trigger is too hard.
thanks again
I've evaded every DD group i've been set upon by, I even attack them and have them chase me, the trick is silent running less then 100 rpm(75 or so)about 2-3knots starboard or port evasive @ 150 ft, then turn into a hole in the water by going all stop, and drift down to test depth(250 in my Salmon) works every time, then just wait for them to get board and they'll go away, hope this works for you
darqen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 12:22 AM   #3795
darqen27
Seaman

Downloads: 101
By the way, great mod, I played with RFB and didnt like a few things in it, so i decided to try TMO a couple days ago, and I really haven't gotten off my computer a whole lot lately, love the TMO realism(Gotten used to shooting all 4 torps at one target so I know at least 1 will explode, haha, not so bad with a torp expert, but it still happens frequently)

I play TMO at 83% realism, I think the things i get dinged for are event camera and free camera but everything else is real as can be(Only use the free camera to chase my torps and watch them either bounce or go boom)

All in All Great MOD
darqen27 is offline   Reply With Quote