SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-17, 03:05 PM   #271
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

OK. So it was just Mr. Nice Guy after all who murdered a random journalist for no reason and hacked her to pieces while he also ran a private submarine and a space program. Think of all the things you could do with these. But don't get too involved with conspiracy theories, because what authorities tell you in the media - while it is proven fact that journalists are involved in IC operations - is always true.

I would say ask Mr. Ulfkotte about it, who was a former journalist for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and wrote a book about intelligence operations right in the head offices of major news outlets.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...4.Udo_Ulfkotte

Except that you can't, because he recently died of a heart failure. Because medical reasons, you know. Just see to it that you don't get too involved in them conspiracy theories, buddy, and you'll be fine.

heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 03:33 PM   #272
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

You seem to need a shave.

Perhaps you should ask William of Ockham to see if his razor is available.
Old 09-18-17, 03:57 PM   #273
heartc
Samurai Navy

To be honest, I knew about Occam's Razor probably long before most of the "SCIENCE RULES!!!"-guys that came about thanks to "documentaries on the internet" ever heard of it, and as it stands, I would like to give a good shave to anyone with it who did not understand what it means at all, but feels smart to bring it up anytime when stuff gets brought up that challenges their dogma that they did not even arrive at by their own consideration, but are just propagating as if mere parrots.

Occam's Razor does NOT mean "the simplest solution is usually right." It does not even mean "the one with the least assumptions is usually right." All it states that for a sound theory, you should try and work with the least amount of assumptions possible, because assumptions are - by definition - unknowns, and since a theory is meant to model the truth / reality, it is sound advice to refrain from pure assumptions as far as possible.
Lest, the ones who are comitting the most gross assumption(s) today are people like you: That you assume that a gigantic military-industrial, secret service and intelligence apparatus that can easily run amok away from any self-correcting mechanism and has politicians in their pocket through information on their private lives or even because they were the ones who brought them up in the first place, is actually acting for YOUR best interest, all the time, and that there are not possibly agendas out there by powerfull players who have zero interest in your well being or that of your family. Not being aware of that and assuming that all these players are just working for "your human rights", your "Democracy" or whatever, is in fact the grossest violation of Occam's Razor that could be possible, because it is an unwarrented assumption on each individual involved in pretty much uncontrolled operations with pretty much unlimited funds at their fingertips to be a benign actor towards the "common good" that is not even defined.

Old 09-18-17, 04:07 PM   #274
razark
Ocean Warrior

Actually, I was thinking of the "Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity" version.
As in, the events are sufficiently explained by Madsen, Wall, the boat, and the police.

There's no need to assume Madsen, Wall, the boat, the police, some unknown number of spooks, conspiracies, space programs, navies, secret aliens and whatever else sprinkled in to make a good tin-foil-hat salad.
Old 09-18-17, 04:42 PM   #275
heartc
Samurai Navy

But there is need for it as soon as you consider the "Madsen just went crazy head, hey" explanation to be implausible (and you could also use Occam's Razor on the theory of a guy just going postal) for various reasons and when you are living in a world where submarine and space tech and journalism can easily cross waters into real life intelligence operations, connections, knowledge, organized crime (smuggling) etc. Or just the fact that some random private guy runs a submarine, which is elusive by nature, in a time where authorities want to be able to document any fart you make in any place, because reasons. Occam's Razor is not a truth statement in itself, it's just giving advice, and to me "The guy was probably just a hidden maniac and him chopping up people was bound to happen at some point because we don't want to assume anything else" is NOT Occam's Razor, especially when it ignores the craziness of the story itself (which in itself postulates a certain improbability), how the police handled it and how the fact that he ran a private sub and a space program and how this could be relevant to intelligence and / or organized crime is totally ignored.

How many people do you know that have their own sub and space rockets and the knowledge? And what kind of connections do those people have, or will happen across almost inevitably? Is it your everyday Joe?

Last edited by heartc; 09-18-17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 06:46 PM   #276
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 06:59 PM   #277
razark
Ocean Warrior

Have you tried this?
Old 09-18-17, 07:14 PM   #278
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Wow!!! Thanks for that link!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:38 PM   #279
heartc
Samurai Navy

I know that my stand here is necessarily compromised because of

a) naive subjects

b) people emotionally engaged because their uncle is a spook or because they were involved in wars that were brought about by c)

c) people involved who know very well what I say has truth to it

but I don't care, because the truth is not a democracy. Something which c) is of course very well aware of, but they are counting on a) not to realize it and on b) to stand with them because realizing people died for c) instead of a) is very hard to accept for b) because they are usually good people, other than c).

Old 09-18-17, 08:21 PM   #280
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Old 09-18-17, 08:29 PM   #281
heartc
Samurai Navy

It's interesting that the only people that brought up "It's Aliens" so far were people that seem "offended" by the posts of the "conspiracy theorist".

Old 09-18-17, 08:46 PM   #282
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Not at all just having a bit of fun, no offense meant.

Old 09-18-17, 08:58 PM   #283
heartc
Samurai Navy

"Not at all"? No, you did bring up aliens. It is right in front of your face, is it not?

I myself am not offended at all, don't worry - I said you were.
Either way, while I suspect you are probably b), in case you are c), you probably realized you were going too fast. I wouldn't even pay you for that work. At first, you have to pretend to argue reasonably with the guy and bring up unrelated issues that draw away from the topic at hand, best towards proven and obvious hoaxes to confuse the matter, and then, if he doesn't give in, you withdraw from the topic with as much ridicule and tantrum as possible, to try and suck the most people with you, while also trying to involve and discredit the site owner for allowing such nonsense on his board, which is meant for reasonable discussion on a serious matter, for reasonable people. You cannot bring up aliens that early in the discussion.

I would fire you.

Old 09-18-17, 09:10 PM   #284
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ok, let's stay on topic.
Old 09-19-17, 12:07 AM   #285
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Actually my first quess as to what happened was rape/murder. I have seen dudes go crazy about woman/women and that ain't pretty...

Tags
madsen, murder, nautilus, wall