SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-17, 11:15 AM   #1771
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default A year later: the Icon is snapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1964 Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) TKOs Sonny Liston in 7 for his first world heavyweight championship title.
THE (rematch) SHOT THAT SAID IT ALL:

Quote:
Luck in sports photography is everything,” Leifer would say later, “but what separates the really top sports photographer from the ordinary is that when they get lucky, they don’t miss.” Leifer didn’t miss that day, and he also got lucky. If Leifer hadn’t chosen the opposite side as Scharfman, he would’ve been stuck shooting toward Ali’s back at the big moment. But when Liston fell, he fell in front of Leifer, not Scharfman. “It didn’t matter how good Herbie was that day,” Leifer said. “He was in the wrong seat.” Instead of snapping a historic photo, Scharfman became part of one. The balding man between Ali’s legs? That’s Herb Scharfman, Leifer’s rival....
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/05/ali_liston_50th_anniversary_the_true_story_behind_ neil_leifer_s_perfect.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 08:51 AM   #1772
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1797 Bank of England issues first £1 note.

1815 Napoleon Bonaparte and his supporters leave Elba to start a 100 day re-conquest of France.

1914 HMHS Britannic, sister to the Titanic, is launched at Harland & Wolff, Belfast.

1916 Germans sink French transport ship Provence II, killing 930.

1935 German Luftwaffe is re-formed under Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering.

1942 German battle cruiser Gneisenau deactivated by bomb.

1952 PM Winston Churchill announces Britain has its own atomic bomb.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 11:30 AM   #1773
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default My government and Berts' first "big lie": 'duck and cover'

Quote:
1952 PM Winston Churchill announces Britain has its own atomic bomb.
I was one year old. If only it could be that cute again....
meets One day, with my back to the wall and my head between the legs in the sixth-grade weekly atomic drill, I came to the deliberate conclusion: big people (teachers etc.) were not too bright; Duck and cover simply wasn't going to work. Half a century later it's still a MAD world! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction only not as 'cute'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-27-17, 10:53 AM   #1774
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1933 The Reichstag, German parliament building, destroyed by fire set by the Nazis, who blamed it on Communists.

1942 Battle of Java Sea began: 13 US warships sunk-2 Japanese.

2012 Wikileaks begins disclosing 5 million emails from private intelligence company Stratfor.

Old 02-27-17, 01:05 PM   #1775
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon12 Y We're all 'self starters' meets "let there B light!"

1911: Charles Kettering invents the electric starter for automobiles. What is so simple and taken for granted now wasn't then:
Quote:
Early automobiles required a hand crank for starting. Occasionally, when the spark lever was not properly set, the hand crank kicked back, causing serious injury: a broken wrist, arm, or shoulder. On a winter night in 1908, the result was much worse: Byron Carter, founder of Cartercar, came across a stalled motorist on Belle Isle in the middle of the Detroit River. He gallantly offered to crank the car for the stranded driver. When she forgot to retard the spark, the crank kicked and broke Carter's jaw. Complications developed, and Carter later died of pneumonia. When Cadillac chief, Henry M. Leland, heard the news, he was distraught. Byron Carter was a friend; the car that kicked back was a Cadillac. "The Cadillac car will kill no more men if we can help it," he told his staff.Leland's engineers were able to build an electric self-starter, but the device was not small enough to be practical. He called Charles Kettering. The engineers at Delco worked around the clock to get the job done by the February 1911 deadline. Kettering later described their work thus: They didn't have a job so much as the job had them. Kettering's key insight lay in devising an electrical system that performed the three purposes it continues to serve in modern cars: starter and, as generator, producer of spark for ignition as well as current for lighting. Leland approved their product for his 1912 model and placed an order for 12,000 self-starters. Delco, the research and development outfit, had to quickly learn the business of production. Kettering also invented electric lights for automobiles that would allow drivers to drive safely at night. (saving even more lives;!!! funny how death sparks remedial innovation in humans)
Kettering's self-starter won a Dewar Trophy in 1913. ( for some reason: my dad's favorite brand too)
Quote:
"...to the motor car which should successfully complete the most meritorious performance or test furthering the interests and advancement of the [automobile] industry"...ie the self starter & lights
Considering I assist my wife out of the garage every morning in her Subaru thank goodness! At least she can start the thing herself...were talkin' about true women's liberation here BBY...and my body parts! It was one of the most significant innovations in the history of the automobile. It was a complete game changer. Within a few years, Cadillac featured women in their advertising showing them as drivers, instead of passengers orbystanders.” video:> http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Feb/0215_cad_starter.html

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-27-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 09:23 AM   #1776
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1981 People's Republic of China throws out the Netherlands ambassador due to Dutch sales of submarines to Taiwan.

2014 Russia moves troops into the Crimea to protect its interests against Ukraine.

Old 02-28-17, 11:24 AM   #1777
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
1981 People's Republic of China throws out the Netherlands ambassador due to Dutch sales of submarines to Taiwan.
Well it was something to get into a diplomatic 'snuiver' about I suppose! https://www.quora.com/If-all-German-U-boats-were-equipped-with-snorkels-at-the-beginning-of-WWII-in-the-Battle-of-the-Atlantic-would-they-have-beaten-the-British

Old 03-01-17, 06:44 AM   #1778
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 Himmler inspects Auschwitz concentration camp.

1944 U-358 sinks in Atlantic.

1946 British government nationalises and takes control of the Bank of England, after 252 years.

1947 International Monetary Fund begins operation.

1953 Joseph Stalin suffers a stroke and collapses. He dies four days later.

1954 US explodes Castle Bravo, 15 megaton hydrogen bomb at Bikini Atoll - most powerful nuclear device ever detonated by the US.

1978 Charlie Chaplin's coffin and remains are stolen from a Swiss cemetery.

Old 03-01-17, 11:06 AM   #1779
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default The illusion of control & the nuking of 'little brown people' generally

Quote:
1954 US explodes Castle Bravo, 15 megaton hydrogen bomb at Bikini Atoll - most powerful nuclear device ever detonated by the US.
Quote:
One day, with my back to the wall and my head between the legs in the sixth-grade weekly atomic drill, I came to the deliberate conclusion: big people (teachers etc.) were not too bright; Duck and cover simply wasn't going to work.
And this is the proof: <this video has been 'sanitized'; would we could do as much for the people on the atoll:
Quote:
Castle BRAVO spewed radioactive fallout around the world and gravely sickened nearby inhabitants of the Marshall Islands, then under a U.S. trusteeship, and 236 were evacuated as well as 28 American military personnel on a nearby island. Twenty-three Japanese fishermen were also contaminated,(the radioman died;During their ARS treatment, the crew of 23 were inadvertently infected with hepatitis C through blood transfusions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukury%C5%AB_Maru ) which made the test known to the world and roiled U.S-Japanese relations. While the U.S. government claimed at the time that a shift in the wind spread the fallout far from the test site, a recent U.S. government report demonstrates that it was the volcanic nature of the explosion that dumped the fallout nearby. The adverse health effects for inhabitants of Rangelop Atoll, 110 miles away from the test site, were severe and some islands remained uninhabitable for years. This radiological calamity had a significant impact on world opinion and helped spark the movement for a nuclear test moratorium which ultimately led to the 1963 Limited Test Ban Treaty.
http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb459/

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-01-17 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 09:18 AM   #1780
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1791 Long-distance communication speeds up with the unveiling of a semaphore machine in Paris.

1882 Queen Victoria narrowly escapes assassination when Roderick Maclean shoots at her while boarding a train in Windsor.

1915 British vice admiral Sackville Hamilton Carden begins bombing of Dardanelles forts.

1943 1st transport from Westerbork Neth to Sobibor concentration camp.

1974 Grand jury concludes US President Richard Nixon is involved in Watergate cover-up.

1991 Battle at Rumaila Oil Field brings end to the 1991 Gulf War.

2004 Rosetta space probe is launched by the European Space Agency to study comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko with Philae lander module aboard.

2014 President Vladimir Putin receives unanimous approval from Russia's parliament to send troops to the Ukraine.

Old 03-03-17, 07:25 AM   #1781
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1899 George Dewey becomes first in US to hold the rank of Admiral of the Navy.

1938 Oil is discovered in Saudi Arabia.

1942 First combat flight for Canadian British-built Avro Lancaster bomber.

Old 03-03-17, 08:16 AM   #1782
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
And this is the proof: <this video has been 'sanitized'; would we could do as much for the people on the atoll: http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb459/
All still radiating and uninhabitable.
Now, Fukushima.. they do not see to know what is going on, radiation is rising and they cannot enter the facility anymore. Lots of water spilling into the ocean https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-2011-meltdown

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 09:35 AM   #1783
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1936 First flight of the airship Hindenburg at Friedrichshafen, Germany.

Old 03-05-17, 07:13 AM   #1784
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1912 Italian forces are the first to use airships for military purposes, using them for reconnaissance behind Turkish lines.

1915 World War I: The LZ 33, a zeppelin, is damaged by enemy fire and stranded south of Ostend.

1936 Spitfire makes its 1st flight (Eastleigh Aerodrome in Southampton).

1946 Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech in Fulton, Missouri, popularizes the term and draws attention to the division of Europe.

1971 "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin is first played live at Ulster Hall, Belfast by Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones.

Old 03-05-17, 11:14 AM   #1785
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
1971 "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin is first played live at Ulster Hall, Belfast by Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones.
...and Randy California! I'm tone deaf but I'm hearing it: sort of 49% vs 51%. I much prefer the Led Zeppelin version anyhow. But then I'm a biased big fan and have all their albums ....on vinyl! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/led-zeppelin-prevail-in-stairway-to-heaven-lawsuit-20160623