Closed Thread

Old 11-27-17, 04:21 PM   #7426
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42142390

Quote:
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has been warned of a "substantial" revolt by Tory MPs in the event of more cuts to army numbers and naval capability.
Ex-minister James Gray urged ministers not to use a security review next year as "camouflage" for a cut in manpower.
Some Tory MPs have spoken out to warn the UK is at a defence crossroads.
In his first Commons outing since he took the job, Mr Williamson said he was "in awe" of British troops and would do everything he could to support them.
Good for them.

Quote:
But Labour said Mr Williamson - who was a surprise choice to succeed Michael Fallon when he resigned last month - had shown little sign of trying to twist the chancellor's arm in the run-up to last week's Budget.
No surprises there then.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 11-27-17, 05:05 PM   #7427
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

^Dad's Army II.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 11-28-17, 12:23 PM   #7428
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Ministers may trigger new vote to block release of full Brexit studies
Labour and the SNP are suggesting they will pursue contempt of parliament proceedings against David Davis' department.
https://news.sky.com/story/ministers...udies-11147858

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 11-29-17, 04:33 AM   #7429
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Divorce bill settled? Britain is said to pay 50 billion Euros.
Old 11-29-17, 06:09 AM   #7430
kilerkg
Mate

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I really hope not. A mid-large sized towns entire tax income over a lifetime, given away at the drop of a hat.
Old 11-29-17, 07:14 AM   #7431
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Regarding you have to pay the UK former colonies help, together with what you now will have to spend alone, for farmers, infrastructure and science within the UK, this is quite a bit. Especially when there will be nothing coming from the EU anymore.
It is funny how you will find everything about how much the UK gives (gave) to the EU, without ever mentioning what came back

We will see if the money spent by the UK for its own can be directed more efficiently within the UK, after brexit.
At least the pound took a leap upward when the deal was noticed

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 11-29-17, 07:39 AM   #7432
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

When what I give is coming back to me, why then do i have to give it away in the first?

The UK btw was a net payer, not a net receiver. They got back less of what they gave, Brit rabate yes or no.
Old 11-30-17, 05:34 AM   #7433
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ What England alone gets back is indeed debatable, and you cannot measure it so easily due to access to the single market based on the EU membership; they make a lot more profit than they pay through that. Of course it's the english economy and the people who benefit from that, not what the government receives, directly. this is why the brexiteers can so easily throw around numbers – take those out that suit you and shout wolf.
Now if you look how Scotland, Ireland and Wales benefit from the EU.. let's say "a bit more"
Anyway it has not much to do with Boris Johnson's claims (which he recently repeated) or with Nigel Fararsch. Oh, so sorry. Not.

Another topic, Trump twitters against May, not only the wrong May, but also the person was dutch..
.@Theresa_May, don’t focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 30, 2017

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-02-17, 06:45 PM   #7434
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
The editor of GQ has criticised Jeremy Corbyn - on the day the Labour leader appears on the magazine's cover.
Dylan Jones told the BBC Mr Corbyn's photo shoot was "as difficult as shooting any Hollywood celebrity".
Mr Jones claimed that despite the Labour leader's "rock star persona" he was "underwhelming" in person.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42194131

Old JC would sell out to anyone who can put him in power, hey JC try the banks...Oh he blew that option when he attacked them.

Old 12-03-17, 06:35 AM   #7435
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A bit costly imo but it is being reported that the payment could be £1 Billion per year over 40 years which will mean a saving of more than a couple of trillion over the same period.

Old 12-03-17, 06:51 AM   #7436
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ What England alone gets back is indeed debatable, and you cannot measure it so easily due to access to the single market based on the EU membership; they make a lot more profit than they pay through that. Of course it's the english economy and the people who benefit from that, not what the government receives, directly. this is why the brexiteers can so easily throw around numbers – take those out that suit you and shout wolf.
Now if you look how Scotland, Ireland and Wales benefit from the EU.. let's say "a bit more"
Anyway it has not much to do with Boris Johnson's claims (which he recently repeated) or with Nigel Fararsch. Oh, so sorry. Not.

Another topic, Trump twitters against May, not only the wrong May, but also the person was dutch..
.@Theresa_May, don’t focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 30, 2017
*In basics* The UK is a 'NET' payer so the sums are simple, the UK will save money.

Most importantly though, and I make no apologies for my British mentality which has seen us through pretty well in history thus far....we regain control of our borders and our courts and laws and are no longer prepared to be dictated to by a bunch of predominantly unelected beurocrats.

Really, simply look at the nationalities of some of them....they hardly fill the UK population with any measure of confidence.

Of course, I may be too muddled on previous historic events of the past hundred years or so but many Brits like myself take pride in what we achieved and quite simply, that is how we'll always be.

Whilst not intended as a slur (by me at least) on any other country, I agree with that below.

Old 12-05-17, 05:25 PM   #7437
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Ministers say no part of the UK will be treated differently in the Brexit talks as Labour branded their approach an "embarrassment".
No agreement has been reached with the EU after a DUP backlash against proposals for the Irish border.
Brexit Secretary David Davis told MPs the government was close to concluding the first phase of talks.
DUP leader Arlene Foster said the text of the deal was a "big shock" and "it was not going to be acceptable."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42231497

Progress...

Old 12-06-17, 02:52 AM   #7438
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It'll all come right in the end because both sides are aware of the immense damage a 'failure to agree' would incur.

Old 12-06-17, 07:44 AM   #7439
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
The UK faces a "perfect storm" of threats that could put its entire electoral system at risk, the head of the elections watchdog has warned.

Russian meddling on social media and local council cuts were just two of the factors threatening the credibility of the system, Sir John Holmes said.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme Britain's electoral laws were a "mess" and needed to be updated.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42250010

You could start with postal votes that clearly has been open to abuse for years. I would like to see big changes made at the HoC that will upset a number of "career politicians" who clearly don't give a toss about us the voter.

PMQ's 0-0
Poor show by both sides. This is my last comment on PMQ's for this year. Next year my score system gets tough as I will include all leaders from all party's.

Old 12-06-17, 11:09 AM   #7440
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I enjoyed this

Quote:
Speaker John Bercow mispeaks to create 'MP for Brexeter'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-poli...p-for-brexeter

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics