SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-17, 08:15 AM   #571
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I think it would be interesting if the UN security council changed its format to a majority vote but I can never see that happening, too much would actually get done for a change.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 08:28 AM   #572
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

None of this is going to matter tomorrow, after that planet hits. What time's that supposed to happen... I want to get some nibbles in?
Old 09-22-17, 08:37 AM   #573
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Just going to put this here to refer back to in the (probably not too distant) future.
Why, are you trying to say nobody has a right to complain if Kim conducts a nuclear weapon test in the Pacific, because Great Britain conducted underwater tests on Kiritimati and above ground bursts in Australia in the 1960's? Or are you saying its just the United States that doesn't have any right to complain?

In case you don't know. The Test Ban Treaty of 1963 prohibits nuclear weapons tests "or any other nuclear explosion" in the atmosphere, in outer space, and under water. While not banning tests underground, the Treaty does prohibit nuclear explosions in this environment if they cause "radioactive debris to be present outside the territorial limits of the State under whose jurisdiction or control" the explosions were conducted. In accepting limitations on testing, the nuclear powers accepted as a common goal "an end to the contamination of man's environment by radioactive substances."

Though not a signatory to this treaty I very seriously doubt Fatboy would think to defy it with an nuclear missile test on some atoll like Christmas Island, or Novaya Zemlya.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 09:25 AM   #574
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Though not a signatory to this treaty I very seriously doubt Fatboy would think to defy it with an nuclear missile test on some atoll like Christmas Island, or Novaya Zemlya.
Nah, he won't test it on an atoll.

It'll be in the middle of the ocean somewhere. He's got plenty of Pacific to choose from. If he's going to be considerate he might fire an SLBM from the east side of Japan, save going over them...but I don't think that being considerate to the Japanese is high on his list of priorities right now, so it'll probably be a Hwasong-14 straight over Japan and into the Pacific.

There's sod all anyone can do about it really, if you attack the launch site then it's war, Japan can't intercept it in mid course and depending on where they shoot it at it'll be out of range of the GMD in Alaska, and since we won't know where it's coming down there's no way to put an AEGIS in place to intercept it. I mean, if he's feeling really frisky he might do it near Guam in which case the US can shoot it down, but I doubt he'd go that far.

Juche-bird could be the next big thing, and then we'll see what the Dotard does and says in return.

On the up side though, this is doing wonders for Abes attempts to shred Article Nine. I wonder if they'll build a modern Yamato? That would be cool.

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 09:52 AM   #575
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

We learn and we move on. Its been said not to forget the past so we don't repeat our mistakes. Not to look back on it and use it as an excuse to do nothing because. Nations have every right say what he is doing is wrong and condemn his actions especially if he pops off a nuclear tipped test in the Pacific.

Maybe it will be war maybe it wont. Right now it seems too me that its not going any further than just a petty war of words.

Last edited by Rockstar; 09-22-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 10:57 AM   #576
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
And what exactly would kicking North Korea out of the UN accomplish?
He would finally surmise that nobody likes him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Put them both in a walled circus, and give them sticks and stones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
AHEM! I thought I already covered that topic!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 11:01 AM   #577
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I think it would be interesting if the UN security council changed its format to a majority vote but I can never see that happening, too much would actually get done for a change.
I agree. The single veto rule should go but there is no way any of the big 5 would ever agree to that.
Old 09-22-17, 11:12 AM   #578
Garion
Commander

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

It would seem General Kelly was not the only Trump staffer to find Trump's UN Speech less than satisfactory: US UN Ambassador Nikki Kelly was seen as in the above photo, arms crossed and not very pleased. I think any man who has been married and has seen that posture and that look on a spouse knows it bodes no well; I had one ex who specialized in that pose and even added a bit of impatient foot-tapping as an audible warning, something like the rattle of a rattlesnake...

<O>
It's the "Pointy Finger" Thats the point of no return..

Cheers
Gary
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 11:17 AM   #579
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some more thoughts about NK's talk about testing a nuke somewhere in the Pacific at some level.

What will the response be from our Western leader, from UN, from China and Russia ?

I can imagine all from more condemnation to more sanction to a little military strike on NK. And I would not be surprised if it was China who did this.

Just some thoughts about todays message from NK.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 12:54 PM   #580
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
We learn and we move on. Its been said not to forget the past so we don't repeat our mistakes. Not to look back on it and use it as an excuse to do nothing because. Nations have every right say what he is doing is wrong and condemn his actions especially if he pops off a nuclear tipped test in the Pacific.

Maybe it will be war maybe it wont. Right now it seems too me that its not going any further than just a petty war of words.
Believe me, I won't be applauding the DPRK, I don't condone the idea...but I don't think that it's a cassus belli either. Condemning is fine, even more sanctions is fine too, if somewhat counter-productive, but starting a war over this...especially a nuclear war...

Well, I hope that you're right and it'll just stay this petty war of words (which, I must say with 'dotard' KJU is winning so far), but this just seems to be constantly escalating, and escalating towards something. Hopefully calmer heads will prevail in the end, but what I won't do is say that the DPRK 'is not or cannot do something' because every time that happens they will do it.
They cannot build an ICBM - ICBM built and launched
They cannot build an H bomb - H bomb built and tested
They cannot build an SLBM - SLBM built and launched

If they say that they might launch an ICBM with a nuclear warhead on it into the Pacific...they might well do exactly that. The biggest question, as mapuc puts it, is what the rest of Asia will do after that. After they've gone to brown alert that is.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 12:58 PM   #581
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

KJU's Generals are probably advising him of how bad a decision this testing would be. I wonder how long it will take, if Kim's actions are a threat to North Korea, before the military does some "restaffing"?
Old 09-22-17, 01:44 PM   #582
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Believe me, I won't be applauding the DPRK, I don't condone the idea...but I don't think that it's a cassus belli either. Condemning is fine, even more sanctions is fine too, if somewhat counter-productive, but starting a war over this...especially a nuclear war...

Well, I hope that you're right and it'll just stay this petty war of words (which, I must say with 'dotard' KJU is winning so far), but this just seems to be constantly escalating, and escalating towards something. Hopefully calmer heads will prevail in the end, but what I won't do is say that the DPRK 'is not or cannot do something' because every time that happens they will do it.
They cannot build an ICBM - ICBM built and launched
They cannot build an H bomb - H bomb built and tested
They cannot build an SLBM - SLBM built and launched

If they say that they might launch an ICBM with a nuclear warhead on it into the Pacific...they might well do exactly that. The biggest question, as mapuc puts it, is what the rest of Asia will do after that. After they've gone to brown alert that is.
Exactly. what will we do? That's the $64 dollar question. The only one I see heading towards a nuclear war at top speed is that fatman in N.K. I just hope our response is more than just telling ourselves we cant do anything about it because we did the same thing in the sixties.

Old 09-22-17, 01:45 PM   #583
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I wonder how long it will take, if Kim's actions are a threat to North Korea, before the military does some "restaffing"?
There you go. I think that day is coming soon if the posturing continues. These Generals have to be thinking about their own lives and talking amongst themselves.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 01:50 PM   #584
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Going to be little US-politics in this discussion

If Trump had lost the election the crisis we are witness to now, would not have come so far.

Saw this on FB few days ago - Trump is the one to blame.

This made me think-Not if Trump is to blame or not, but what would Clinton have done if NK had done the same thing, Testing its nukes, ICBM and so on ?

I know it's nothing but speculation.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 02:02 PM   #585
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

This situation has been going on before Trump even thought about running.

Trumps is not making the situation better, but is hardly the cause.

It is a good thought exercise on what would Hillary have done. Probably not much different than what Trump did, but would have worded it differently.

She is quite hawkish and perhaps would be concerned with "proving" herself... kinda like what Trump is doing.

Tags
korea, north korea