SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-11, 07:27 PM   #46
kovall
Mate

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
The zone.cfg in GWX should not cause that much difference.
Failure to show damage textures is a .val issue.

You need to list all mods installed.
I just once tried to sink Ark Royal again. After being hit by two torpedoes, the ship was a strong bank and sank 10 minutes later and texture had traces of contact with torpedoes . But I noticed strange thing... when the ship beginning to sink, the upper half of the board have a darker color than the lower and on the dark side was not "caustic"
What is the reason ? I guess need to change values in dat-file into Caustics render controller. ScaleY and OffsetY. Is it true my guess ?
Sorry for my English I hope you understand what I want to say
kovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 08:01 AM   #47
tekai
Seaman

Downloads: 38
Default Re:Ark Royal

@ kovall

Now I'm totally confused. After 3 times of loading my savegame to find her (I want to kill her in a campaign) I hit her with 2 torpedoes from starbord side at 4m depth and she went down 20 minutes later. And... I recognized damage textures as well as lifeboats after sinking. But why?

Suggestions:
1. First time I attacked the CV, torpedo depth was 7m under waterline, but if you look on your model submerged the Ark Royal looks more like a Destroyer than a Fleet Carrier. Draft isn't 9.65m as listed in the cfg-file, I think your model has only a draft of 4m from waterline to keel. That would explain why I could'nt see any damages first time I shot her (remember: I hit her with 3 torpedoes).
In heavy seas the Ark Royal is flying over the ocean, that means that all 3 propellers are over the waterline, looks funny, but may be a problem when you want to attack her. Another reason to change the draft of your model.

2. The first attack I started from portside with no damage on the ship, the 2nd attack I started from starboard, perhaps this has an effect on the damages, but I don't think so.

Here some pics:
1st try: http://img854.imageshack.us/i/sh3img...172158203.png/
2nd try, hit at 4m depth: http://img801.imageshack.us/i/sh3img...143757687.jpg/
going down: http://img849.imageshack.us/i/sh3img23320115375640.jpg/

Nevertheless your converted model looks really great in game and with a few graphical corrections it would be perfect. Please try it.

Greetz
Tom

Last edited by tekai; 03-23-11 at 09:11 AM.
tekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 11:23 AM   #48
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hi all,

the models draft is about 8.5 m - in the CFG file there is a draft of 9.65 m. The best way is to fix the draft (surfaced) in the SIM file (see UnitShip - Hydro) at 8,5 m. The ship will keep that draft under all conditions.

Greetings
rowi58

Last edited by rowi58; 03-23-11 at 04:46 PM.
rowi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 11:35 AM   #49
kovall
Mate

Downloads: 184

I don not know who made new damage for Ark Royal. In my version has no such problems, and the draft of ship is wright (9,7m) The only bag that I found In dat-file I incorrect wrote value Caustic Render Controller.
Correct value ScaleY= -0,15 (instead -0,6)
This step will eliminates the problem of different hull colors at the time of the sinking ship.
kovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 11:59 AM   #50
tekai
Seaman

@ kovall

I took all data for the Ark Royal from your download and as mentioned earlier WB has'nt changed anything on your model when writing his mis-file.

What I want to explain is that it's possible to hit the ship in a depth of 7m under waterline because of the settings in the cfg-file. But I think that there are no damages on the CV because at a depth of 7m the torpedoes can't find a textured area, at this depth there is no part of the ship (collision).

@ rowi58
Do I have to install a special editor to do these changes? And when, where can I find it?

Tom
Old 03-23-11, 12:46 PM   #51
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hello tekai!

I just checked your pictures. What I see is the ship's lower part (red texture) fully submerged, which means it is where is has to be ...

This part, according to the 3D model (measures taken in Wings3D) is 8.5 m deep. That is the ship's original full load draught. If the model is sent to that depth in the sim file, it won't fly anymore ...

The value in the cfg file should be ammended as rowi suggested.

Your impression that the ship is not deep enough in the water results probably from the fact that the Ark Royal was rather tall, which was not favourable in terms of sea worthiness (and contributed to her loss).

I tested kovall's model; torpedo impacts were clearly visible, with torps set on impact as well as on magnetic ignition.

Changes of model file can be done using the S3Ditor
http://s3d.skwas.com/

Cheers -- the frog
Old 03-23-11, 01:34 PM   #52
tekai
Seaman

@ the_frog

Thank you for the download link. I hope I made no mistakes when editing the sim-file (never did before). I tried following settings:
unit_Ship\obj_Hydro\Surfaced\draught=8,5

Hope that it's all right and ship will be a bit deeper in water now.
Do I have to edit the cfg-file too?

Your further explanations of terms of sea worthiness of the Ark Royal helped a lot to understand the circumstances of her sinking near Gibraltar.

@ kovall
Please don't think that you have done a bad job, I love your model. And I know how difficult it is to write a model. I wrote some models for GTA-SA a few years ago.
And at least, I was able to sink the Ark Royal, so everything is o.k.

Greetz
Tom
Old 03-23-11, 02:45 PM   #53
Laphroaig75
Seaman

Downloads: 106

Good to see Ark Royal in the game. The only thing is the terrible skin for the SH5 ships. I saw one picture with an other skin, hull and flight deck in a different style, but I don't remember who posted it in the forum . Anyone an idea? Maybe the creator of this skin, whoever it was, is so kind to upload it (please).
Greetings
Laphroaig
Old 03-23-11, 02:53 PM   #54
Laphroaig75
Seaman

Good to see the Ark Royal in the game. The only terrible thing about it is the SH5 "one-style-skin", but I saw a much better with different hull and flight deck. Don't remember where it was or who created it. Anyone an idea? Maybe the creator is so kind to upload it (please).
Greetings
Laphroaig
Old 03-23-11, 04:51 PM   #55
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekai View Post
@ kovall

I took all data for the Ark Royal from your download and as mentioned earlier WB has'nt changed anything on your model when writing his mis-file.

What I want to explain is that it's possible to hit the ship in a depth of 7m under waterline because of the settings in the cfg-file. But I think that there are no damages on the CV because at a depth of 7m the torpedoes can't find a textured area, at this depth there is no part of the ship (collision).

@ rowi58
Do I have to install a special editor to do these changes? And when, where can I find it?

Tom
D/L Skwasjers S3D - you'll find it here: http://s3d.skwas.com/downloads.aspx

I can confirn "the_frog". kovall's "HMS Ark Royal" works very well. I do not have any problem with this ship. So i must say: "Thanks "kovalll" for that nice aircraft carrier .

Greetings
rowi58
Old 03-23-11, 06:25 PM   #56
the_frog
Commander

@ tekai
yes, the you fixed the draught corrrectly
correction of the draught/draft in den NCV_Ark_Royal.cfg can be done with a text editor
same can be done with the log file, so you see the right number in the museum, too

@ laphroaig75
guess you've see pictures of a slightly modified version of Kovall's Ark Royal somewhere in the German Ubi forum ... I did same changes to the textures and rowi58 some to the model ... but those are private editings.

@ kovall: great ship, good job!!

Cheers -- the Frog
Old 03-24-11, 03:45 AM   #57
Laphroaig75
Seaman

Hallo Frosch,
das UBI-Forum habe ich durchgeflöht - ohne Erfolg. Ich habe auch schon versucht, die Texturen zu ändern, bei den SH5-Skins habe ich aber speziell mit dem Flugdeck und den Aufbauten keine Ahnung, wo sich die jeweilige Stelle befindet, um nur dem Flugdeck oder der Brücke einen neuen Skin zu verpassen . Die Macher in Rumänien haben es sich da leider einfach gemacht, das war bei den Vorgängern um Längen besser (wie alles andere auch).
Ich wäre ja schon zufrieden, wenn ich wüsste, wie die tga ausschaut, um mir selbst einen Skin zu basteln...
Gruß
Laphroaig
Old 03-24-11, 07:51 PM   #58
the_frog
Commander

Laphroiag, you have a PM ... check your Ubi Foren account,

the Frog
Old 03-26-11, 03:25 PM   #59
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

its no use since they are not playble:/ i dont need them...
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 12:07 PM   #60
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Hi chrysanthos.

It is nice to hear that some user dont respect the graet work of those modders like "privater", "Kovall" and "myself"

I do not want to criticise the way you're playing SH3 - everyone can do it in an individual matter.

But i get a little bit confused about your statement of the work modders did. Perhaps - i think so - it is a mistake of translation from Greek to English.

Would be nicde if you could confirm this. Or not, or else, or wtfmb.

Greetings
rowi58