SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-10, 05:01 AM   #1
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 211
Uploads: 0

Default Silent 3ditor question

Hi chaps,

Taken a short break from modding to charge up my batteries.

I have a Silent 3ditor question.

I am multiple cloning objects and using the re-map ID function but it also remaps the material Id references as mentioned in the documentation. As each object uses somewhere like 100+ texture references and I have 14 objects I don't fancy having to manually change 1400+ references!.

Is there another way to do this using Silent 3ditor? or is there another tool which I can use to re-map just the node/model etc. ids? and maintain their materials reference ids.

Thanks and kind regards

Aces
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 09:28 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

If your talkinga bout lightmap/ texture references and such within an existing dat. Say for example your cloning a sub or boat, while S3D does change the material reference ID's within that dat, it also updates the parent/child relationship throughout the file. Remap ID's with the same seed throughout your files (dat/sim/zon/val, whatever), and BAM your done. It's that easy.

Where you'll run into problems is if the dat file your remapping is making calls to node ID's that exist in another dat file. (example being a deck gun that is making refrences to items in the shells.dat file) That's where you'll have to manually input them back in. While a PITA in that situation, S3D is still the best tool you'll find.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 02:57 AM   #3
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 211
Uploads: 0

Hi mate,

Thanks for your help. What I'm doing is slightly different.

I have an object that I am cloning that contains many nodes and uses many textures. I want to produce 14 different variations of this object, differing in some of the textures that are used although the vast majority of the textures used remain as oroginal.

I have produced a dat file containing just this object that I can remap the ids for so that when I import this dat multiple times back into the original dat file it goes in fine without any duplicate ids. The original dat file now contains the objects and both the existing and new textures BUT because I have had to remap the objects they have lost all their texture reference ids and thus they don't display them. As there are so many textures used by the objects and as I have 14 objects to re-reference, there are now hundreds of nodes to manually re-reference.

What I'd like is to just re-map the object's node ids etc. but keep the original texture reference ids used then I could just import each object dat file in turn and setup the new textures used and I'd be finished in five minutes or less.

All ideas much appreciated,

Thanks and kind regards

Aces
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 04:30 PM   #4
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Use any Hex Editor and do a replace all.
Enter the Id you want changed and the ID you want it changed to,
click a button and your done.
Just remember, S3D shows the ID backwards!

So 0x9b71c0e4b871fdad would be entered as
ad fd 71 b8 e4 c0 71 9b