SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-08, 07:21 PM   #361
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavone
First of all, thanks for the response. This is what mine displays....

C:\shSpeech\dist>voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4
shSpeech 2.54 by Minsc (Erik Knepfler)

Specified resolution: 1024x768 (change under sh4speech.bat)
Using command set: stock
Delay multiplier: 1 (change under sh4speech.bat)
Mouse hand: Right-handed

Caching stock key_codes.csv
Caching stock voice_commands.csv
Caching stock key_commands.csv
Caching stock variables.csv
Caching stock tubes.csv
Caching stock command_bar.csv
Caching stock dials.csv
Listening...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "hear.py", line 18, in <module>
File "win32com\client\gencache.pyc", line 529, in EnsureDispatch
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 95, in Dispatch
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
Restarting speech engine...

This part will keep repeating over and over. Does the newer version still require ActivePython and Active Pearl? I installed those prior to downloading sh4speech 2.54. I had to have done something wrong, I just have no idea what.

Scavone
I believe the new version doesn't has no dependancy on Active Python or Active Perl. That might be your problem, although I would try re-downloading, then re-copying the folder before uninstalling those things.

Bill
Old 10-18-08, 09:08 PM   #362
Scavone
Nub

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

I've tried everything. It just does not seem to work. I might try downloading the next release and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

Scavone
Scavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 09:43 AM   #363
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
I've tried everything. It just does not seem to work. I might try downloading the next release and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

Scavone
Are you running Vista? It occured to me that some people had problems with the speech engine vs. Vista. I think it's resolvable, but you might want to hunt through this thread to see how they fixed it.

Bill
Old 10-19-08, 01:55 PM   #364
Scavone
Nub

Downloads: 16

[/quote]
Are you running Vista? It occured to me that some people had problems with the speech engine vs. Vista. I think it's resolvable, but you might want to hunt through this thread to see how they fixed it.

Bill[/quote]

No, I'm running XP. I've checked all the forums and the only post I could find dealing with a problem like mine was the on the Ubisoft forums.

Scavone
Scavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 09:52 PM   #365
billko
中国水兵

Bill[/quote]

No, I'm running XP. I've checked all the forums and the only post I could find dealing with a problem like mine was the on the Ubisoft forums.

Scavone[/quote]

Hmmm, I have to think on this one...
Old 10-29-08, 02:55 AM   #366
bucky699
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Question is this mod/program compatible with RFB mod and the PE v1.5?
bucky699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 11:06 AM   #367
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky699
Question is this mod/program compatible with RFB mod and the PE v1.5?
If RFB changes/adds commands, sh4speech probably doesn't directly support it - you would need to modify the CSV files.

The same with PE v. 1.5.

I have neither of these, so I cannot say for certain... Sorry!

Bill
Old 10-31-08, 07:31 PM   #368
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Quote:

Scavone
Scavone,

To get it working in Vista, I had to jump through some hoops but nothing had to be changed in shSpeech. Basically I had to configure Vista to get Speech working. Unlike XP, where my program can invoke it on a whim and it's always available, in Vista it is only available if you launch it. When it's running, you'll see a very distinctive control panel widget at the top of your screen that says "listening" or something like that. When this is running, you've made huge progress toward getting shSpeech working in Vista. That's basically all I remember doing and it was fine at that point.

I wish I could be of more help, but it's been so long since I've worked on this, I've forgotten everything and I feel as I'm coming into it as a newb like everyone else, in a weird sort of way.
Old 10-31-08, 07:39 PM   #369
minsc_tdp
XO

Coolhand,

Your problem certainly seems to be resolution based. Here is what I suspect is happening. You have set the game to 1024x768 and the shSpeech to 1024x768. However, on some video cards with certain displays, especially televisions or widescreens, it's possible that the video card is doing some sort of scaling to fit the window to the physical display. As a result, the game is pumping out 1024x768 data to the video card, and then the video card is changing it to be something else before it reaches the display - say 1055x755 for example. shSpeech will then click the mouse pointer based on an offset from the upper left (0,0) and miss it's mark, since the far right side is actually not 1024 and the bottom isn't 768, but in fact it is something else. This is usually due to some kind of overscan or underscan compensation that the video card driver is doing, perhaps automatically on your system.

The biggest indicator that something like this is happening is that your round dials are not really round, but are in fact ovals.

One way to find out the actual resolution is to use your monitor's physical button controls to pull up an info window to see what the current video resolution is. Most monitors have this (my Plasma TV, for example, has an info button on the remote that tells me what mode I'm really in.)

Another possible way is to use the SH4 screenshot button to get a BMP file, and then open it in an image editor to determine the resolution. This *might* show 1024x768 and so if that's the case yet you have ovals, this is not to be trusted, and you would want to use the monitor info button method.

Unfortunately, if you have ovals, even if you figure out the actual pixel width/height and put it into shSpeech, it might still fail because I'm not sure if the algorithms take non-round controls into account. It might just work but my sense is that it will not. The only possible solution is to experiment with different resolutions supported by SH4 that provide you with perfectly round, non-oval controls and then try that resolution in the shSpeech BAT file.

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone. Wish I could be here more.
Old 10-31-08, 07:42 PM   #370
minsc_tdp
XO

The tube issue where W cycles only the fore tubes is in fact something I experienced with Trigger Maru's config file changes. There could be other issues if your config file is based on TM.

I'd also warn that the shSpeech BAT files that run in Trigger Maru mode may not have kept up with the changes in the last several months in TM. Anyone could feel free to modify the TM CSVs I provide and send them back to me once they're confirmed to work, and I'd be happy to release a refresh update to include these. Personally I play pretty much stock (when I play, which is never) and I make sure that I'm always using the stock keyboard configuration file (which I believe is cfg\Commands.cfg but I could be mistaken.)

Good luck!
Old 10-31-08, 07:44 PM   #371
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
Coolhand,

Your problem certainly seems to be resolution based. Here is what I suspect is happening. You have set the game to 1024x768 and the shSpeech to 1024x768. However, on some video cards with certain displays, especially televisions or widescreens, it's possible that the video card is doing some sort of scaling to fit the window to the physical display. As a result, the game is pumping out 1024x768 data to the video card, and then the video card is changing it to be something else before it reaches the display - say 1055x755 for example. shSpeech will then click the mouse pointer based on an offset from the upper left (0,0) and miss it's mark, since the far right side is actually not 1024 and the bottom isn't 768, but in fact it is something else. This is usually due to some kind of overscan or underscan compensation that the video card driver is doing, perhaps automatically on your system.

The biggest indicator that something like this is happening is that your round dials are not really round, but are in fact ovals.

One way to find out the actual resolution is to use your monitor's physical button controls to pull up an info window to see what the current video resolution is. Most monitors have this (my Plasma TV, for example, has an info button on the remote that tells me what mode I'm really in.)

Another possible way is to use the SH4 screenshot button to get a BMP file, and then open it in an image editor to determine the resolution. This *might* show 1024x768 and so if that's the case yet you have ovals, this is not to be trusted, and you would want to use the monitor info button method.

Unfortunately, if you have ovals, even if you figure out the actual pixel width/height and put it into shSpeech, it might still fail because I'm not sure if the algorithms take non-round controls into account. It might just work but my sense is that it will not. The only possible solution is to experiment with different resolutions supported by SH4 that provide you with perfectly round, non-oval controls and then try that resolution in the shSpeech BAT file.

I hope this helps.

Good to seeyas again! I believe so much in this helper app that I've been trying to stand in for you while you were away. I hope you can wander down this way every so often.

Bill
Old 10-31-08, 08:12 PM   #372
Coolhand01
Soundman

Quote:
Coolhand,

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and the PM. Now for the bad news(for me).
I have alway's had round dials no matter what resolution I'm running and the monitor menu shows the same resolution as I'm running in the sim. If I alt-tab out it shows the resoluton of my desktop. My monitor is a Sony Trinitron model G520 21" flat screen.

Again, thanks for the help....CH
Coolhand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 09:51 AM   #373
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand01
Quote:
Coolhand,

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and the PM. Now for the bad news(for me).
I have alway's had round dials no matter what resolution I'm running and the monitor menu shows the same resolution as I'm running in the sim. If I alt-tab out it shows the resoluton of my desktop. My monitor is a Sony Trinitron model G520 21" flat screen.

Again, thanks for the help....CH

That's a CRT and should directly support all modes it says it's capable of. What happens if you play at its max res of 1600 x 1200? Besides slowing to a crawl, that is...

Bill
Old 11-02-08, 08:06 AM   #374
Coolhand01
Soundman

Same -O-same-O....I've tried every resoluton I can and get the same results, unfortunately....CH
Coolhand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:32 AM   #375
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand01
Same -O-same-O....I've tried every resoluton I can and get the same results, unfortunately....CH
Hey, I just thought of something. Some *pointing devices* use non-linear scaling - i.e., they have a finer resolution up and down than sideways, or vice versa. Do you have anything other than a generic mouse attached? This is fishing, but we've already covered the higher-percentage stuff...

Bill