SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-16, 06:07 PM   #271
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There I was testing FOTRS Ultimate v.02Alpha. Got a photo mission. Yikes, it's been six years since I did a photo mission. When did the AOTD put photo missions back in. TMO didn't have them!

And what's this: sub management room, communications and orders on radio are the only parts in German, all else in English, even the recorded voices. Makes it easier to fix!

But I spotted a plane on radar. Dove. Wasn't satisfied with how fast I was getting under. Hit crash dive. And.......THE NOISE. Like a couple licks of the ringing of a wind-up alarm clock. Ring! (two seconds) ring! (two seconds) ring! etc.

Pause game. Load up MSI Afterburner, which mixes stereo mix with microphone and hope the sound is still there. Success! Now you can all hear "THE NOISE."

Also:

That av gas is a terrible thing to light a match to!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 09:19 PM   #272
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Ok, that's the sound I've been hearing, but instead of the ticking I'd heard like I said a tinging sound. I wonder if it has to do with SB sound card the difference in the noise. Funny thing, last night it was while submerged, but tonight was on the surface.

Gotta admit that I love the graphics.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 09:48 PM   #273
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Yeah, that sound is much too polite to be "The Sound", sorry... While irritating, and it might make you wonder if someone in the crew has it in for you, trying to give your position away, "The Sound" is very memorable. I posted a link to a movie clip of mine in an earlier post. I'll have to find that. It's on photobucket. No vid, just the sound in an mp4 file.

My dual-core cannot handle v0.02 alpha. 2 gig of ram & a 2.6ghz intell cpu can't handle it. Gotta use the newer computer. I've come up with thoughts to share (SNL skit??), but I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow. Looking into the fan noise, among other suspects for "The Noise". Later
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 11:14 PM   #274
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I just did a quick look through the FOTRS v2.0 "Sound" file....no such interior.fanblade wave file there (much like the fotrs v1.3). Neither could I find a "SoundSource" parameter in the subs .dsd file for the interior.fanblade wave file like that of the v1.3 .dsd file has. So, scratch off that possible sound as making the clink...clink...clink we're hearing.

The fact that v1.3 has the .dsd "SoundSource" listing an interior.fanblade is no biggy since there's no wave file named for it to be made. Pretty much a mute point. In v2.0 there isn't even a "SoundSource" parameter for an interior.fanblade. I think this idea of a fan sound causing the issue is busted....got to be something else.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 12:43 AM   #275
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

gear Sub equipment

[Solved]

RR, please make notice of this for the next version.

The sub damage screen has all the submarine equipment listed in German language.
Copying the \DATA\UPCDATA\UPCLocalization folder from v1.3 restores them to English.

I'm guilty for this, I was just too excited from having v2.0 graphics running in FOTRS Ultimate that I did not test adequately all the changes done. I promise I'll use my head more often before changing something else . (What's left of it because of SDM )
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 03:00 AM   #276
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes. but I'm ok with the stock gauge.

Mods should enhance the game, not prevent already working parts from working as they should.
Great comment from a great modder.
Old 06-22-16, 04:23 AM   #277
OldLu
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 10

First of all:

Great Work! I wish to have your skills

Just a question:
How to get the Alpha? Or isn't it public available? I want to test it. A you now for sure, i can't play v1.4 on Steam....
OldLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 04:44 AM   #278
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yeah, that sound is much too polite to be "The Sound", sorry... While irritating, and it might make you wonder if someone in the crew has it in for you, trying to give your position away, "The Sound" is very memorable. I posted a link to a movie clip of mine in an earlier post. I'll have to find that. It's on photobucket. No vid, just the sound in an mp4 file.

My dual-core cannot handle v0.02 alpha. 2 gig of ram & a 2.6ghz intell cpu can't handle it. Gotta use the newer computer. I've come up with thoughts to share (SNL skit??), but I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow. Looking into the fan noise, among other suspects for "The Noise". Later
Now, this is very strange... I play your vid there Rockin Robbins, on my other computer, and lo and behold, you DO indeed have "The Sound" playing in there. I do apologize profusely for belittling what you had. |;^) ... The "click" sound is louder on yours though... Why can I NOT hear "The Sound" on my other computer? I've been "testing" with it too, so how many journeys throught the land (sea) of FotRS have I taken where I *did* have "The Sound", but just didn't hear it on that particular computer? This upsets me...

I've also been unable to find any "fan" sound CapnScurvy. I'm wondering about making some wav file, naming it that, and putting it in the sound folder, if it would be audible. Maybe I'll start with something like a snippet of spoken words that stick out, so that I know it's there... later.

I do have another question though Rockin Robbins: Did you have the "new" versions of the "Creak" files in your Sound folder?...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 06:22 AM   #279
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Now, this is very strange... I play your vid there Rockin Robbins, on my other computer, and lo and behold, you DO indeed have "The Sound" playing in there. I do apologize profusely for belittling what you had. |;^) ... The "click" sound is louder on yours though... Why can I NOT hear "The Sound" on my other computer? I've been "testing" with it too, so how many journeys throught the land (sea) of FotRS have I taken where I *did* have "The Sound", but just didn't hear it on that particular computer? This upsets me...
Well, as you could hear when I shut down the stopwatch, the click sound was the one per second click of the stopwatch and it went away when I closed the stopwatch. But it was good because we know "the sound" I had was heard exactly every two seconds. I can't imagine why a recording of "the sound" would be heard on one computer but not on another. That's strange.

Quote:
I've also been unable to find any "fan" sound CapnScurvy. I'm wondering about making some wav file, naming it that, and putting it in the sound folder, if it would be audible. Maybe I'll start with something like a snippet of spoken words that stick out, so that I know it's there... later.
TMO will have fan sounds you can transplant. You know, I had an evil idea. Isn't there a bell sound in the crash dive sound bit? Isn't that bell what we were hearing as "the sound?" Why don't you check out that sound file (all three of them) to see if they are a different length than stock, or a different sample rate and restoring the stock sound?

Quote:
I do have another question though Rockin Robbins: Did you have the "new" versions of the "Creak" files in your Sound folder?...
And no, I wasn't running your new creak files at the time. Wasn't having any problem with creak files either. But if the crash dive sound isn't the culprit, that will be my next idea to try. Games. They're weird. Really, really weird sometimes.....
Old 06-22-16, 07:51 AM   #280
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLu View Post
First of all:

Great Work! I wish to have your skills

Just a question:
How to get the Alpha? Or isn't it public available? I want to test it. A you now for sure, i can't play v1.4 on Steam....
Our mod will be for 1.5, not 1.4. However you can download FOTRS 2.0 in the subsim download area and THAT will work for 1.4. The only problem with that is that it's a German language deal.

It's not really that much of a problem. You can't read what your mission is but you can find where it is by using the nav map. I'm dealing with the German in the Alpha right now and it's not an insurmountable problem.

And our Alpha edition, although it wouldn't work for you, is a closed group evaluation thing right now, not open for general release. We have aspects of the core mod that aren't ready yet and we won't release anything until it's playable to our satisfaction. I believe that FOTRS is not as popular as TMO and RFB because version 1.1 was released way too early. The glitches in that release caused lots of players to cross FOTRS off their consideration list.

We aim to make FOTRS as popular as any other mod in the history of the game by having great quality right out of the gate (not a problem as FOTRS 1.3 and 2.0 are already great quality) and presenting the AOTD's best and latest work for the SH4 v1.5 community.

THEN we are adding our own masterstroke to Silent Hunter 4: a collection of guaranteed FOTRS Ultimate compatible plugin mods so players can choose AI level, keyboard layout, interior layout, merchant paint schemes, plotting schemes......the list goes on. This will be the first "player roll your own" supermod, where players are in charge of how their game plays.
Old 06-22-16, 07:54 AM   #281
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
[Solved]

The sub damage screen has all the submarine equipment listed in German language.
Copying the \DATA\UPCDATA\UPCLocalization folder from v1.3 restores them to English.

I'm guilty for this, I was just too excited from having v2.0 graphics running in FOTRS Ultimate that I did not test adequately all the changes done. I promise I'll use my head more often before changing something else . (What's left of it because of SDM )
Don't worry about it Billy. A little glitch hidden in a tremendous breakthrough is no reason to apologize. We'll find the files responsible and restore the 1.3 version of them. It's really no programming work at all, just substituting files.
Old 06-22-16, 08:58 AM   #282
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I believe that FOTRS is not as popular as TMO and RFB because version 1.1 was released way too early. The glitches in that release caused lots of players to cross FOTRS off their consideration list.

We aim to make FOTRS as popular as any other mod in the history of the game by having great quality right out of the gate (not a problem as FOTRS 1.3 and 2.0 are already great quality) and presenting the AOTD's best and latest work for the SH4 v1.5 community.

THEN we are adding our own masterstroke to Silent Hunter 4: a collection of guaranteed FOTRS Ultimate compatible plugin mods so players can choose AI level, keyboard layout, interior layout, merchant paint schemes, plotting schemes......the list goes on. This will be the first "player roll your own" supermod, where players are in charge of how their game plays.
Couldn't be said better!
Old 06-22-16, 10:15 AM   #283
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
[Solved]

If someone could point me in the right direction to where the language files are located I can try and correct them. Copy and paste I can do.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 10:49 AM   #284
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
If someone could point me in the right direction to where the language files are located I can try and correct them. Copy and paste I can do.
Oh, come on!! What's that copy-paste thing I read from such a talent as yourself?
I've had ENORMOUS fun playing (some hundreds) of your single missions in SHCE. Much greater fun than the actual campaign indeed!

I managed to correct my error by "scientific level modding", (copy-paste). I believe that the German language mission orders, messages etc. are hiding under the thermal layer somewhere in the campaign folder. Perhaps a late-war Allied sonar set will help us find them. RR, CaptScurvy?

I'm in no position to suggest a solution on this. A complete \DATA backup saved me from trial & error (mostly error) attempts many times. Highly recommended for "scientific level modding".

Old 06-22-16, 11:00 AM   #285
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Our mod will be for 1.5, not 1.4. However you can download FOTRS 2.0 in the subsim download area and THAT will work for 1.4. The only problem with that is that it's a German language deal.

It's not really that much of a problem. You can't read what your mission is but you can find where it is by using the nav map. I'm dealing with the German in the Alpha right now and it's not an insurmountable problem.

And our Alpha edition, although it wouldn't work for you, is a closed group evaluation thing right now, not open for general release. We have aspects of the core mod that aren't ready yet and we won't release anything until it's playable to our satisfaction. I believe that FOTRS is not as popular as TMO and RFB because version 1.1 was released way too early. The glitches in that release caused lots of players to cross FOTRS off their consideration list.

To Rockin Robbins and all you other Captn's working on this project, I for one am waiting patiently for the FOTRS ULTIMATE to be released because I think FOTRS 1.3 is my favorite MOD of them all for (SH4 v1.5)!!
Good Hunting
captnmike :-)